Profile for Steven > Reviews

Underbelly - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Underbelly - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rodger Corser

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 23 Oct. 2014
I was gripped by each episode. It details the ten year battle of the Purana task force in their war against a powerful criminal element in Melbourne. The drama also charts the rise and fall of many criminal characters and the added voice over offers insights into the world on show such as how calling someone a "dog" is an extremely intolerant insult in criminal circles. The production doesn't pull many punches, some of the violence is brutal and there is plenty of flesh on show. I was interested rather than surprised by the content as the overall story is similar to many other programmes (although this is based on truth) but I thought the production values were strong and I found it easy to buy into the personalities populating the events, be they good, bad, or in the case of The Prince, just plain psycho.

Money Train [DVD] [1996]
Money Train [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Wesley Snipes
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent action drama, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Money Train [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
Snipes and Harrelson look like they're having a ball in this fast paced action caper. The boys are adopted bothers and work as transit cops suffering beneath a megalomaniac boss whose only priority is the revenue collection train, the money train of the title. When Harrelson falls foul of his gambling debts he decideds to rob the train and its upto Snipes to help or hinder his brother. JLo decorates the rather dour underground world they inhabit but her scripting doesn't get beyond being Snipes love interest. Parts of the scripts character motivations feel a little muddled at times making it less slick than the likes of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon but it's a fun ride with plenty of action so I enjoyed it for what it was.

Fringe - The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Fringe - The Complete Series [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv

5.0 out of 5 stars They'll never top this., 21 Oct. 2014
This show gave me one of the most satisfying television experiences I've ever encountered. It has action, drama, police procedural, sci-fi, csi type stuff, there's a decent romance in there and bags of fun from the multi-talented John Noble as Dr Walter Bishop. I'm re-watching the show from the beginning and currently at mid season three where Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham is performing as both herself and her otherworld doppleganger is a real treat. I marvel at the slight differences between her two incarnations, the crooked smile, the sassy walk, just sublime. The sets look great, the individual story's are inventive and the overarching story arc is hugely interesting. I know season five was a rushed effort for the fans and lots of things don't bare close examination, but I'm still looking forward to watching it again.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2015 8:53 AM BST

Avalon [DVD] (2002) Malgorzata Foremniak, Wladislaw Kowalski, Jerzy Gudejko
Avalon [DVD] (2002) Malgorzata Foremniak, Wladislaw Kowalski, Jerzy Gudejko
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, but not a keeper., 21 Oct. 2014
In an uncompromisingly dour futurescape, ace FPS gameplayer Ash navigates a virtual battleground looking for a hidden level. The script is suitably vague about whether this level will pave the way to a better reality or if it offers an opt out of the bleak actual reality players currently inhabit. The game is illegal and often results in players becoming catatonic. A sepia toned VR battleground is juxtaposed with a dour nondescript concrete city where our female protagonist lives a featureless life which appears totally devoid of most recognisable human connections. Despite being portrayed as distant, I found a connection to Ash and bought into her mission.

Methods of Criminological Research (Contemporary Social Research)
Methods of Criminological Research (Contemporary Social Research)
by Dr Victor R Jupp

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 21 Oct. 2014
Despite the relatively dry subject matter I found Jupp to have an accessible writing style. I found his explanations of methodological validity particularly interesting and insights on randomised controled trials, social surveys and observations very easy to follow and comparably better in terms of gaining understanding than a great many others I've trudged through. I picked up this book many times during the MSc and now regularly revisit his writing as a second year PhD student.

Someone To Watch Over Me [DVD] [1988]
Someone To Watch Over Me [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Tom Berenger
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Watch, 9 Oct. 2014
Ridley Scott presides over this noirist triumph which excells in the style department but seems to have left others wanting more in the cop thriller stakes. I caught this on release at the cinema and remember reacting well to it, despite my relative youth and penchent for action movies. This was different and although it is a thriller at heart, it really deals with the aftermath of two devastating actions which shatter the lives of all involved. Tom Berenger is our square jawed hero as the newly promoted detective who is thrust into the world of his protectee, a rich socialite (Mimi Rogers) who witnessed a brutal killing. Our hero is a blue collar cop who despite his happy marriage is increasingly drawn to the lonely beauty in his charge. Tom handles the emotional stuff better than I expected and I thought Lorraine Bracco and Mimi Rogers deliverd cracking performances as his gutsy wife and voulnerable temptress but it is Andreas Katsulas who really livens the proceedings as the villain of the piece.

Lindisfarne Mead Wine 70 cl
Lindisfarne Mead Wine 70 cl
Offered by UK ONLINE

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tipple, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Lindisfarne Mead Wine 70 cl (Wine)
Before I started drinking this, I drank other mead type drinks, I was homeless and without a penny to my name. Someone gave me a bottle of this and I've never looked back. I now own a multi national company, pilot a helicopter, hold many strongman titles and have just been voted Britain's most honest man. I've tasted many of these Mead type drinks and like the taste and color of this one the most. My friends can't drink it and complain at the sweet honey taste but I don't mind because it leaves more for me, anyway, they're hopeless no-marks who wouldn't know a nice drink if it got up and told them so. I often go to Lindisfarne, it's where I moor my yacht, and always pop in for a bottle. I couldn't be without Lanchester Mead though, it shifts the muck off of my carburetor.

Crackdown
Crackdown

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking page turner, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Crackdown (Kindle Edition)
Cornwell's Bahamanian set adventure is populated with rogues and heroes, calm seas and high adventure. It's a bit of a favourite of mine and I've stormed through this breezy adventure four times now. This early (ish) tale feels less polished than his more recent work. I like to think that the sailing adventures are learning books for the author and that he's testing themes and styles. In Nick Breakspear, Cornwell gives us an everyman hero who is easy to route for; we're also given a collection of colouful bad guys and a handful of interesting friends to help our man along. The entertaining tale concerns a group of people tied up in corruption and drug smuggling and it also gives us echoes of "Wildtrack" in that the hero is coerced into doing something in order to repair a broken boat before he can pursue his life on the ocean. The story contains much of Cornwell's flair for description and is carried along on a fast paced narrative which, for me, makes the pages fly by.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 9:39 PM BST

Puppet on a Chain
Puppet on a Chain

3.0 out of 5 stars left me hanging!, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Puppet on a Chain (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book recently, many years after its first publication, and I have to say I found it a bit tame by today's standards. I liked Paul Sherman as a hero but thought his relationship with the two female agents was poorly crafted and a little contrived at times; they just seem to pop up when he requires them. I found the action sections a little lacklustre and although the book described Amsterdam as I remembered it, it felt distant and I just couldn't immerse myself in the world created by the author. In terms of suspense, I found the absence of a malevolent bad guy to be the story's undoing; don't get me wrong, there are bad guys but they're suppsed to be hidden and the big reveal wasn't much of a surprise. There's a bizarre "whicker man" type sequence in which a small town is in the pay of the drug barons which just seemed daft. Having said all that, this wasn't a bad book by any stretch, it was interesting and had a bit of pace to it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 9:43 PM BST

Cutthroat Island [DVD]
Cutthroat Island [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geena Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars A ripping romp!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Cutthroat Island [DVD] (DVD)
Davis displays a strutting machismo which I'm sure is in keeping with the famous female pirates but adds little to the romantic aspects of the story because it makes her love interest look a little effete! The plot, involving treasure and a power vaccum amongst bands of brigands doesn't hang around and the marvelously expensive sets and cinematography are carried along by a thundering score. This is pirate movie by the numbers and it has all the best ingredients, we get, fights, chases and sea battles galore. Frank Langella is on the money as Dog, the rival for Davis leadership and although Modine doesn't display leading man gravitas, he doesn't spoil things. This is quite the romp and is suitable for family viewing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2014 11:58 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20