Profile for Steven > Reviews

The Boys In Blue [DVD]
The Boys In Blue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bobby Ball

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock on Tommy, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Boys In Blue [DVD] (DVD)
Loosly based on the Will Hay classic "ask a policeman", the story revolves around a quiet police station which is threatened with closure due to a lack of crime. In fact, as crime is so absent, the two coppers also find time to run a shop! With pressure mounting from above, the two bunglers decide to invent some crimes and when doing so they stumble upon a real gang of art thieves. This remake retains a twee Britishness about it which is something I find great affection for; the plucky underdogs somehow manage to chase down the criminals and treat us to some trademark slapstick and a bit of wordplay along the way. I enjoy Tommy's lampooning and I particularly like the shear stupidity of the dialigue in the chicken checking scene. Having grown up with the madcap stylings of our two heroes I was really looking forward to this and although it hasn't aged well, I knew what to expect so they didn't disappoint me.

Escape Plan [DVD]
Escape Plan [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Escapism, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Escape Plan [DVD] (DVD)
When a security expert finds himself incarcerated in a black prison called The Tomb, he must use all his guile, strength and knowlege to break free. I find Stallone's understated approach very watchable and I have to say he didn't disappoint me. This is a solid action adventure and whilst the script isn't taxing, it's not too shabby when you come to realise the meaning of the title. The production is a fairly high end affair which makes the most of a sizeable budget. The dialogue gives a handful of winks to the audience and the two leads bounce off each other more comfortably than they did in the Expendables; I also found their nicknames for the faceless guards quite funny. Jim Caviezel is excellent as an unhinged warden and Vinnie Jones is so caricature he could've been drawn with a crayon. The movie delivers a bucket load of popcorn chewing excitement and goes to show that despite their age, Sly and Arnie aren't quite done yet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 8:09 PM GMT

Last Passenger [DVD]
Last Passenger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dougray Scott
Offered by videosanddvds

3.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm thrills but not as bad as some make out., 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Last Passenger [DVD] (DVD)
The cramped confines of a london commuter train provide an intimate setting for this tense little thriller. Dougray Scott plays the "everyman hero" whose forced into action when a late night journey takes a turn for the worse. Familiar plot devices pepper the thrills as Scott and the motley group of passengers try to change their fate; there's little new here but it's done rather well and I found some genuine excitement to be had when the cast were hanging off fast moving trains in the dead of night. Speaking of cast, Kara Tointon manages to shine in a role that could've had her relegated to basic love interest and Josh Kaynama has schmalts free scripting as Scott's young son. The absence of blockbuster finance doesn't hinder things and there's a particularly good effect when the train crashes into a car. The script doesn't wander about too much and tension mounts towards a satisfyingly explosive conclusion. Maybe I wasn't expecting much, although the reviews had been encouraging; I happily bought into this surprisingly suspenseful movie.

Hamilton: In the Interest of the Nation ( Hamilton: I nationens intresse )
Hamilton: In the Interest of the Nation ( Hamilton: I nationens intresse )
Dvd ~ Mikael Persbrandt
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Surprising!, 14 Jan. 2014
This is pretty much the Swedish version of Bond/Bourne and as such it stands up very will as an action adventure. The sets and locations are varied and the plot involving dodgy arms deals and terrorism is familiar but still interesting. Presbrandt makes for an engaging hero, his scripting is darker than Bond's and doesn't include any wry humour. The action is spot on, there are some really good fights and a couple of rather gory knife slashes! I'm looking forward to seeing the others.

Flashpoint [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Flashpoint [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Kris Kristofferson

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to the legend...., 8 Jan. 2014
This localised, desert set drama contains an intriguing plot device of epic proportions. The semi rural setting is effectively used and the town based sets don't show any signs of budget restrictions. Kristofferson's world weary veteran is presented in deep contrast to Williams' younger man and the two engaging leads are very easy to watch. Their love interests along with a sub plot about immigration are interesting but don't amount to much. The real gem is what they discover in the desert and their subsequent research which attracts the attention of the darker side of government. Kurtwood Smith does a decent job of being the hawkish government man sent to poke his nose around. The screenplay uses a light touch when telegraphing the main plot device, we get a glimpse of things here and there but the two leads don't actually talk about what they've found in any real depth, their main concern is about Williams' reluctance to take the money and run. The dark deeds and inevitable showdown lead to a satisfying conclusion in this surprisingly tidy movie. I gave it an extra star because for a thirty year old movie, this simple and clever premise has a refreshing feel to it amongst today's vacuous blockbusters.

A Lonely Place To Die [DVD]
A Lonely Place To Die [DVD]
Dvd ~ Melissa George

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent little thriller, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Lonely Place To Die [DVD] (DVD)
A small group of climbers come up against ruthless kidnappers when they discover a remote hillside chamber containing a starving child. Before long, they're being stalked and shot at during a daring pursuit across the rugged hills, craggs and rivers of the highlands as they try to make their way back to the nearest villiage. The cinematography is wonderful during this part of the movie and it really shows off how beautiful Scotland is. Melissa George puts in a sturdy performance and the script is careful to flesh out her companions as well as give some solid dialogue to the ruthless villains on show. There are plenty of stunts and action and some genuine tension to be had as the small group move towards the villiage. Once at the villiage, the screenplay meanders a tiny bit but the tale ends well enough without any loose ends.

7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet
7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet
by Jason Vale

4.0 out of 5 stars It works but......, 30 Dec. 2013
I had to go off plan. It wasn't practical for me at lunchtimes and doing an hours fitness work in the evenings wasn't practical either (its inclusion in a juicing book was a bit of a cheek anyway!). So why four stars and how can I say "it works", well, its more that the concept works for me, rather than the seven lb programme described in the book; I had already bought a cheap juicer and have been fruit juicing for a while but with this book I decided to make a real effort and actually do a juice fast. I did it over a long weekend when I knew I didn't have any nights out planned. Weight came off, I didn't feel hungry at all (at times I was bloated from all the juice). I didn't bother with the expensive powders he recommends, just green juices with a bit of fruit in them - I also didn't buy the more exotic greens, I just replaced them with things from the same family that I could find in Aldi or Asda. I did half an hour of fitness work each night and managed to get into those shirts in my wardrobe that had so far been banished. I still use the recipies in the book but find it easier to replace breakfasts and evening meals a couple of days a week rather than go for a full seven days.

The text itself has an engaging and down to earth style to it, no bluster, no statistical mumbo jumbo, just plain, easy language.

Cookworks Signature Whole Fruit Juicer.
Cookworks Signature Whole Fruit Juicer.
Offered by TnD-Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 30 Dec. 2013
Been juicing for a year or two now and this is my second juicer. I bought this one cheap (£30) at a local outlet, I've been using it regularly for months now and can say that I'm very pleased with it. It's functional and easy to clean. These "entry level" juicers all seem to be made in a similar fashion. The second speed does get a little noisy but you only actually juice for a few minutes.

Official Dad's Army Don't Panic Enamel Mug
Official Dad's Army Don't Panic Enamel Mug
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 27 Dec. 2013
I've had this for six months now and can say that I'm totally happy with the product. After reading the negative reviews I decided not to put mine in the dishwasher but I took a chance on it after a few months and can say that it has suffered no ill effects after numerous times in there. The print wasn't perfect - even out of the box some of the black colouring had less weight to it compared to other parts of the cup. It keeps tea warm for ages and I suspect I will like drinking out of it even when it's as battered and old as it is supposed to be! I'm really happy with this.

2 Guns [DVD]
2 Guns [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Bang bang!, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 2 Guns [DVD] (DVD)
This fast paced buddy actioner covers a well worn path of bullets, stolen cash and double cross. The two leads are very watchable and they both make the effort with their respective roles, they have some decent dialogue and deliver the goods during the frequent action set pieces. The story is a complete no-brainer and has some decent dark humour thrown in. In some respects, it covers similar themes to the darker and more violent Extreme Prejudice but this takes itself far less seriously and is all the more enjoyable for it.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30