Profile for Ian > Reviews

Content by Ian

Ian "laughingdog" (Doha Qatar)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Virgin Front Line: Sounds Of Reality
Virgin Front Line: Sounds Of Reality

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wonderful musical experience, 13 Aug. 2014
A truly wonderful musical experience - am so glad that I bought. Have never really listened to this type of music before apart from Bob Marley of course but was swayed by a couple of reviews in the Sunday papers and took a chance.

So glad I did and recommend to all to buy - it's just an amazing musical journey.

The box set is of the highest quality with an excellent book, 5 cd's and other items - can't stop playing it.

Sound City [DVD] [2013]
Sound City [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Dave Grohl

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame....., 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sound City [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have been so looking forward to watching this.

Got all comfy - beer in hand - pressed play - what no English subtitles - that's just just crap

There's French, Dutch, Japanese, Swahili, Mongoose but no English subtitles as advertised and as I am partially deaf was not able to hear the film - now that's just just crap
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2015 2:33 PM BST

Wild Light
Wild Light

5.0 out of 5 stars 65 Does Understand You, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
Mr. Senior's excellent comments hit the nail on the head here and there isn't much more to add. I agree that it is probably their most accessible work to date plus I feel it is also their most accomplished - am I being too dramatic here by saying "it is their masterpiece"?

Probably.

But I do hear progression - I do hear a band that has leant its craft and know exactly how they want to sound - I hear a band making music that they want to make - I hear a band at ease with itself saying "this is us listen to us" .........and for this they must be applauded and supported.

It is indeed a triumph

Dimensionaut
Dimensionaut

5.0 out of 5 stars Can we forget about the past - focus on the moment?, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Dimensionaut (Audio CD)
Can we forget about the past - focus on the moment?

Because the moment is good......very good. The debut album from Sound of Contact

The album was created by Simon Collins with keyboardist and co-producer Dave Kerzner along with Matt Dorsey (bass). It was mixed by Nick Davis.

No mention of Phil yet.

Though there should be less we forget the magic of early Genesis - less we forget how good a drummer/musician he was (I will put was here for a reason)

Albums such as `Dimensionaut' are of course not breaking new musical ground - but along with Lifesigns, Porcupine Tree and the wonderful Steven Wilson, Spocks Beard etc. are producing quality albums that create a link to my past.

And hopefully will open the ears of a new generation to music that one can explore and enjoy time and time again.

This album also made me revisit my early Genesis albums (how good were they between 1969 and '78? How good is `Seconds Out' surely one of the best live albums) - let's hope that SOC will also be given the time to develop and produce the music they want to.

So let's focus on the moment - a press release states "Dimensionaut" is a concept album about a man who has the ability to travel through space, time and alternate realities and yet struggles with his desire to keep a sense of grounded reality on Earth." Heady stuff but doesn't really excite me - though I do like the concept images.

What I do like is the music, the performance, the sound - agree with Ianham who says reservations about the production are wrong, for what it's worth it sounds grand to me as I have old ears too.

It is simply an excellent rock album.

So don't forget the past - but enjoy the moment - enjoy the Sound of Contact

Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1-2 Complete / Christmas Special [Blu-ray]
Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 1-2 Complete / Christmas Special [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading information if you need subtitles, 16 April 2013
It says on outside box that there is subtitles but there's none on series 1 - very disappointed as I would love to have watched but being partially deaf I was unable to - very disappointed

Steamroller
Steamroller

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wish it was 5 stars, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Steamroller (Audio CD)
I was very lucky last July to meet and interview Philip at his Tunnels Club gig in Bristol. He is just the nicest most down-to-earth guy you would ever wish to meet - both my daughters fell in love with him as we chatted about him, his music etc. The gig was fantastic. Backed by Joel on bass and Fritz on drums Philip showed he is one of the new generation of great guitarists - the only negative on a fantastic night was the fact that only around 150 people were able to watch this guy - he should have playing to 15,000.

This album, and it pains me to say this, will not change this. The songs are just not strong enough and the production leaves the album somewhat forgettable - and this is a crying shame.

There are some highlights - the title track kicks things off nicely, `Stung By A Woman' is good, ` Marigold' is nice (he should do more slow songs) but then I don't seem to hear anything or remember anything in the remaining songs with `Beautiful' actually quite annoying. There is one saving grace - the closing track `Aberystwyth' which is, for me the highlight of the album. A bluesy, soulful gem of a song that reminds me of home.

So do I recommend you buy this album - YES YES AND YES. If you like a good guitarist playing a good guitar then you will like - I just wish the album was better so that Philip was able to reach a bigger audience that his undoubted talent deserves.

By the way you really should buy all Philips albums and if his touring near you go see him - you will love.

P'dice
P'dice
Offered by Q Rock Records

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing songs - one fantastic album, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: P'dice (Audio CD)
With the first track 'Everything' sounding like Rush (Counterparts era) Paul's new album gets off to a flyer........and then gets even better.

I have to be honest and say I am a big admirer of musicians who do things their own way - with this guy being the role model for all aspiring musicians who dream of sticking two fingers up to the music industry and create their own music their own way.

I'm also a big admirer of Paul with 'Focal Point' - his first album, still getting regular plays in the Dog household. But to be honest I didn't expect this album to be so good, didn't expect it to sound so polished, so well produced, so darn good. I've been following the progress of the making of this album via Paul's website, so I know things haven't run smoothly - but credit to the guy, he has persevered and produced an album of 10 songs that he must be very very proud of.

I'm not overly keen on classifying artists (he doesn't sound like Rush in other song by the way) - I'm just keen on enjoying my music and enjoyed I certainly have. Paul is not prog rock, not any genre really. He's just a very talented guy who writes some amazing songs, is able to play them to a very high standard with the end result being one fantastic album.

Highlights for me - Borderlines, When It Rains & Waiting (but their all good)

I recommend to buy, yes please do buy, don't download for free, as this guy deserves your support, in an age when talent is judged so shallowly, this guy deserves to have his (wonderful) music heard by all.

Donkey Jacket
Donkey Jacket
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars No words just listen to the music, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Donkey Jacket (Audio CD)
Lots of words are written about lots of bands - some of them good some of them bad.

Not many words are needed here to tell you how good this is - its pure & raw, heartfelt & honest, basic & bluesy

Currently making an Old Dog very happy.

What The Night Delivers...
What The Night Delivers...

5.0 out of 5 stars You know what? This album has blown me away., 29 Sept. 2011
I've loved both of Scott's previous albums ['Passing Stranger'] and `Elsewhere' and was eagerly waiting for this new album - sometimes that can be fatal, the product can fail to live up to expectations. Not so with this album - it's everything (and more) that this old Dog could wish for.

First impressions were impressive - it immediately struck a chord with me, straight away I could relate to the songs, could listen to the songs, finding new things, hidden treasures with each listen. This album is a gentle wall of sound, an album of slow-motion emotions in songs that steadily build and climb revealing themselves ever so slowly like a virgin on her first night of love.

It's darker - no, not darker - more sublime, more at peace with itself than the previous albums. Scott appears to me have found his way, has found his way of making music and it is sublime, rarely getting out of 2nd gear, it drives your sub-conscious to places that you didn't know existed - makes you think - makes you smile - makes you cry. Then makes you want to do it all again.

Highlights for me include.......no no no.....that would be unfair. The highlight for me is the album, it has genuinely made me sit down, put the headphones on and listen to an album from start to finish and enjoy it from start to finish - every song, every melody, every damn thing. Did I tell you about his voice? Just amazing - it's like every song Scott has sang to the best of his ability - yeah I think it's his performance on this album that makes it stand out so much - you can hear him, feel him giving the song his best.

You know what? This album has blown me away.

Dark Inside
Dark Inside
by Jeyn Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Something is released and no body can be trusted., 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dark Inside (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dark Inside is a great book and a great read. I don't usually read many books but couldn't to put this one down. Four different stories and four different people; Clementine, a cheerleader who goes in search of her brother after her family and friends are murdered by a few people who go on a killing spree in her town. Mason, a normal school boy whose mother dies in a brutal car crash and whilst he is in the hospital by her side, his school is shaken by a massive earthquake and every one he knows is killed.

Aries, a school girl who is on the bus with her friend when the earthquake hits where she is. Every body is dead except her when a mysterious stranger pulls her from the wreckage. And Michael, another school boy who witnesses a crash on the road which is made worse when the police come and shoot down the people involved in the accident and the turn on the innocent bystanders. After the earthquakes shake the world, something is released and no body can be trusted.

Some times in the book, it is hard to remember who is who and what they've done previously. Despite that, this book is great and will be recommended to friends.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7