Profile for K. S. Culling > Reviews

Content by K. S. Culling

K. S. Culling "Katy Sara Culling" (Derby/Oxford, England)

The Best Little Girl in the World (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
The Best Little Girl in the World (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Steven Levenkron

1.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic overview by a self-important man., 29 Jan 2005
As an experienced (15 years ill), well-recovered anorexic and student of the mind, I have read virtually all books written on eating disorders, especially anorexia. I read this book many years ago, and its negative impression has remained with me. There are elements of truth in this book - ones that actually made it "easier" for me to be anorexic when I first became ill. (I recovered several years ago). Triggering would be the correct terminology - so beware.

Behaviours are described with very little (if any) insight into the actual disease and its horrors. It is insulting to have such deep-rooted, painful issues dismissed by creating someone suddenly recovering by just deciding to. It is not that simple. Such writing may lead people to greater self-execration (if that is possible in eating disorder sufferers) by making them feel utterly blameworthy. It did for me.

Certainly, determination helps, but conscious efforts are not usually enough on their own - how ever strong you may be. Recovery needs buckets of support and time.

I cannot help but feel angry that the author seems to love himself a little too much and really believes his heroic, perceptive treatment "saved the day." Well meaning but with no insight. If you want a superficial book, read this. If not, don't bother. There are many better books to choose from.

I didn't bother to read the sequel.

Katy Sara Culling.

Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars There are two things a film needs & I like above all else..., 22 July 2004
...lots of realistic blood and gore, and comedy. This film has both in spades and I loved it. Buy it. I think I could watch it over and over again. A collecter's buy.

Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide
Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide
by Kay Redfield Jamison

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no better book to help you understand..., 22 July 2004
...help you understand your self, or help you understand a suicidal person you care about.
Although medical professionals may read it, it is a book for anyone and easy to comprehend and feel emotional about.
I know a lot about suicide. It's a subject I have studied for all the wrong reasons since I was a kid. It nearly killed me.
I first read Dr K.R.Jamison's book when I was extremely ill, and it made me feel understood. It opened my eyes about some of my depressed thinking, just long enough to hesitate and live. It also brought home to me, the consequences of taking my life. It didn't always stop me trying to kill myself, but it mostly did. It certainly put me off some of the more gruesome ways to end life.
This book covers dark topics, it has to. It is difficult to read about peoples' pain, and frightening for all. But the book itself reads easily and informs absolutely. I recommend it highly.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, sickening and gratuitous (really zero-stars), 22 July 2004
I am an expert on suicide both professionally and personally. I am no stranger to real life suicide, the attempted suicide victim, and the person left behind after suicide. As a result I suppose I am rather too much obsessed by suicide, so I bought this DVD.
It is sickening. Despite a hardened psyche to all matters of suicide, I could not continue to watch this film through to the end. It is gratuitous, unpleasant, and medically inaccurate. I strongly recommend you do not waste your time, or out of curiosity, inflict such upset upon yourself.
If by chance you are looking for help in methods to kill yourself, this film will not help you. We all know obvious ways to die, and we all think we know ways to die. I reiterate, this film is inaccurate and possibly harmful. Do you want to be maimed or disabled for life?
If unfortunately, you are looking for a film to better understand the loss of a loved one, do NOT pick this film. It is not a sympathetic film, nor does it give any answers. To avoid heartache, and severe distress absolutely DO NOT watch this 'film.'