Profile for DartmoorDiva > Reviews

Content by DartmoorDiva

DartmoorDiva "Dartmoor Scribbler" (Dartmoor)

The Forager's Kitchen
The Forager's Kitchen
by Fiona Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars A real foraging find!, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Forager's Kitchen (Hardcover)
I love this book. It is beautifully produced and full of really interesting wild facts as well as delicious recipes. I was worried it would be too 'extreme' for me, but have found it is exactly the right level to make me want to go and forage more, rather than being daunting and putting me off. I live in the country and already forage for fungi and other bits and pieces, but really don't know a great deal about what's good and safe to eat out there. This made me aware of all sorts of edible delights that were right under my nose. Even if you don't intend to get out there and forage, it is a great book to just sit and read, I found it inspiring. Well done Fiona Bird!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery
by Alan Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn, 27 Sept. 2013
I put off reading this novel for ages as it didn't appeal, but it had been leant to me by a friend and I felt rather duty-bound to at least have a go at it... and I'm very glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written pacey, a good plot and I loved all the 1950s old-fashioned references. I found Flavia a really fun character and enjoyed her quirky view of life. I wish I'd had her insight aged 11! I did guess whodunnit, but it didn't spoil the fun. I will definitely read more of these.

Slow Turns The World
Slow Turns The World

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read, 22 Nov. 2012
Really interesting concept - and an ambitious structure for a first novel, but Andy Sparrow makes a good job of it. Not normally my genre, but I found this really absorbing.

Harris Victory Premium Decorative Barbecue Cover
Harris Victory Premium Decorative Barbecue Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 15 Oct. 2012
I've been looking for either an attractive, or unobtrusive, cover for ages as I didn't want to have to look at a boring old green cover or tarpaulin from my kitchen window all through the winter.

This product is excellent - the material is sturdy and the design is really 'camouflaged'. I have also bought the tarpaulin version with the same design to cover up my table and chairs but have yet to do it.

Such a clever idea - and no dearer than other covers. Please think about making more shapes to cover chairs etc.! And even some different designs would be good.

I ordered these yesterday (Sunday) afternoon... and they've just been delivered to me in a fairly remote part of Devon at 9.10am on Monday. Incredible.

Freelance Factfile
Freelance Factfile

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful 'kick up the pants' for all freelancers!, 22 May 2012
I find this very useful. Clearly written - as you would expect - Carole has a way of making me stop and think about things I've either become casual about or forgotten altogether! Also a great source of ideas and delivers the regular kick up the pants us solo-workers often need. I've been freelance for years and this is very useful, to a new freelance, I'd think it's invaluable.

Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
by Pam Corbin

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth preserving!, 9 Aug. 2008
I love this book! Before you even get to the recipes, it just looks and feels so lovely. Wonderful photos and such a nice 'tone' to it, very easy to read.
I'm not a huge jam fan - I'll be concentrating on the chutneys - but just reading the jam recipes is so seductive... makes you want to try everything.
All The River Cottage books I have are well designed and written, and this sits very well with the others they've produced.
Ridiculously priced for such a quality book too.