Profile for B. Bampton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Black Sheep
Black Sheep
by Susan Hill

2.0 out of 5 stars Her narrative descriptions are like a school essay, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Black Sheep (Paperback)
I shall have to disagree with many reviewers and say I do not think that Susan Hill writes well. Her narrative descriptions are like a school essay. I didn't enjoy the story either. It was difficult to place it in time and there was no feeling of community to relieve the depressing story line. I found myself asking, "Why did that happen? Have I missed something?" quite a lot as well.

A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure., 7 Jun. 2016
This is the first Simon Serrailler book I have read and I thought the plot was good. I didn't anticipate the twist and I'm not convinced that it fits the facts. In places the excessive description of things like what they were having for dinner felt like a school exercise and it got in the way of enjoying the book. I thought there were too many family stories going on in the background, Molly, Judith, Sam etc.

Trinny & Susannah Womens Shapewear The High Waister Nude Large
Trinny & Susannah Womens Shapewear The High Waister Nude Large

2.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed in this one, 1 Jun. 2016
I wore one of these on my wedding day in 2008 but I lost it so I bought another. I was disappointed in this one. It was very lightweight and very small, in fact I couldn't get it on. The legs were too short too. I did check on the size I needed before buying it.

Victorian Memories In Cross Stitch & Needlepoint
Victorian Memories In Cross Stitch & Needlepoint
by Chris Timms

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book., 10 April 2016
There are some beautiful projects in the book and the colours of fresh, giving a modern twist to Victoriana. The only downside is that some of the printing on the charts is slightly off line.

The Upright Piano Player
The Upright Piano Player
by David Abbott

2.0 out of 5 stars I disliked the story, 6 April 2016
I read about 30% of The Upright Piano Player before giving up because I found the plot so deeply unpleasant. Everything Henry touches turns to lead. His young grandson has died and his daughter in law blames it on him when it is clearly not his fault. A total stranger assaults him on New Year's Eve and when he comes across the said stranger in a cafe, the stranger gets him barred for looking at his girlfriend. The stranger follows that up with serious harassment. His wife treats him like dirt, his partners have no respect for him. And so on. I wanted to give up after 60 pages and kept going hoping it would lighten up but it didn't.
I have given it two stars because Abbott writes well.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
by Kim Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 2 April 2016
As the jacket tells us, a doctor delivers his wife's twins. The boy is healthy but the girl has Down's Syndrome so he arranges for her to be put into care and tells his wife she was born dead. However, the nurse who is charged with taking his daughter to the nursing home is appalled by what she finds there and raises the daughter as her own. The book contrasts the childhood and adolescence of the two twins.
On the whole I enjoyed the book. The characters of David, Caroline, Paul and Phoebe are quite well drawn. It's interesting to reflect on how society has changed: the automatic episiotomy, the reaction of the doctor to a disabled child, the way he sees it as his right and duty to make decisions that affect his wife are a far cry from what one would find nowadays. Other examples are the reluctance of the hospital to treat Phoebe when she is stung and needs urgent attention, and the recurring use of words like retarded, which grate on modern ears.
However, the book has some major flaws. Norah's character never comes alive, the teenager whom David rescues doesn't contribute anything to the main story and the ending is contrived and comes out of nowhere.

The Remarkable Lives Of Bill Deedes
The Remarkable Lives Of Bill Deedes

2.0 out of 5 stars Stodgy, 5 Mar. 2016
I enjoyed the first few chapters about Deedes's early life but I'm afraid I gave up midway through chapter 4, which is about his assignment in Abyssinia. Or rather it's all about the other well known names who were out there with him. It's a shame. He was a nice man.

Kindle E-reader, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi (Black) - Includes Special Offers (Previous generation - 7th)

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last long, 1 Mar. 2016
It doesn't last long. Mine stopped working after 2 1/2 years by which time it was out of warranty and I couldn't get it repaired. I read about 20 books a year so it cost me a £1 for every book I bought. If you only buy a dozen books a year the overhead is nearer £2 per book and you might be better off just buying your reading matter from Oxfam.
Other downsides were: The only place I could get books was Amazon, although I hear Waterstones also stocks them. Not much use for reference books. I never got the hang of the search facility. Landscape tables are too small to read and you can't follow coloured charts. You can make notes but I didn't find the way it was done useful.
On the plus side it's light weight, easy to carry, easy to download books and easy to sort into categories for storing. I liked being able to change the size of font as well. Lots of cheap offers so you can get more books for your money. Great for novels.

A Commonplace Killing
A Commonplace Killing
by Sian Busby

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed views, 1 Mar. 2016
This review is from: A Commonplace Killing (Paperback)
The writing is marvellous, the characters well drawn and I was especially impressed with the way the author described the gloom of post war Britain. However, the story lacked any hope at all. There is nothing to relieve the gloom. All the main characters are spivs or failures in some sense except the young WPC, who is the spitting image of the driver in Foyle's War and out of touch with how hard life is for most people.
The writer died before she completed the book and the ending is taken from her note books to give a complete work rather than leaving it unfinished. It may be that Sian Busby would have changed the ending had she survived. I couldn't work out why the killer murdered her - surely he'd just have run off or given her bag back. I was hoping for a twist, like the son being the murderer.

The Helmsley Chronicles
The Helmsley Chronicles
by David Wilbourne

2.0 out of 5 stars It didn't really come alive for me. I thought ..., 19 Feb. 2016
It didn't really come alive for me. I thought it was a diary of his first year in Helmsley but when I looked more closely, it was a selection of articles about his ministry that he wrote for the Church Times over a 12 year period, which seemed very odd.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12