Profile for E. JONES > Reviews

A Long Long Way
A Long Long Way
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally draining but superb writing, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Long Long Way (Kindle Edition)
This book was not an easy read, in the sense that I'd frequently find myself pausing for a moment to take in the horrors of what I'd just read. The author's descriptive powers are extraordinary, and I felt that I was getting a very real sense of what it was like on the WWI battlefields of Flanders. Highly recommended.

Mio Alpha Heart Rate Monitor - Black
Mio Alpha Heart Rate Monitor - Black
Price: 137.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I can ditch the chest strap, 30 Sep 2013
I've never been a fan of heart rate monitors that require you to put a chest strap on. I found that when - for example - I was rowing, it would slip down and the signal would be lost.

This device is easy to use, quick to get a signal, accurate and has a nice clear screen for reading whilst exercising. It also connects seamlessly with my runkeeper app - there's no messing around with Bluetooth codes - my app just found the monitor immediately.

I gave it four stars, because I'd love it to have some way of controlling my runkeeper app through a button on the monitor. I believe that the latest Garmins have this feature, and its absence makes me think I'll end up getting a Garmin as well eventually.

Dominion
Dominion
Price: 3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars 60% through and loving it, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
I saw an advert for this book on the tube, and loved the premise. I am currently about 60% through and the writing is absolutely sublime. The story flows wonderfully and the character development so strong that it is frighteningly believable.

I am a fan of books that are set in the Second World War period, but have always been keen on an element of historical accuracy. The subtlety of the storytelling in Dominion means that you never feel the author is stretching credibility, not least helped by the pace that the plot develops.

Thoroughly recommended!

Masaryk Station
Masaryk Station
Price: 3.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to an excellent series, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Masaryk Station (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this 6th and last book in the Station series. I wasn't hugely optimistic after struggling with the 5th, but Masaryk is very much of the same calibre as the early books.

As others have pointed out, the pace is not really thriller like, but this does give you plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere. It also makes the story very believable and all the more chilling for it.

I'm already looking forward to starting Downing's new book, Jack of Spies.

Just a small point about the Kindle edition I read; there were quite a few typos. One of the most glaring was "He put a hand on Russell's soldier" on page 249, but there were a number of others.

AeroBed Premier Raised Double Air Bed
AeroBed Premier Raised Double Air Bed

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Mar 2011
We wanted a bed for grandparents to stay that was more comfortable than a sofa bed, but we could still put away afterwards. I wasn't sure whether this would be appropriate, but having read some good reviews, I thought I would go for it.

Have to say it's worth every penny - feedback has been very positive in terms of comfort (you can adjust the firmness of the bed) and it's SO easy to put up and fold away.

Highly recommended!

Waterloo Road Series Five - Autumn Term [DVD] [2009]
Waterloo Road Series Five - Autumn Term [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Eva Pope

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better, 1 Sep 2010
This is an excellent show and I'm amazed that they manage to maintain the quality the way they have done. I've been working my way through the DVDs as I completely missed Waterloo Road when it first was on the television and such is the quality of the acting and the script, I could easily watch two or three episodes in a single session.

There are some decent extras in this DVD - some outtakes, deleted scenes and cast interviews - although note that they are all on the first disc which means that if you watch it straight after watching the episodes on the first disc, you will find yourself seeing scenes that are from future episodes. This does give away a few story lines.

My wife had already seen this series on the TV and noted that some scenes were deleted from the DVD. Can't understand why this would be the case (eg one of the pupils playing flute in the talent show). So I'd be tempted to dock one star for this, but to say this detracted from the quality of the DVD would be unfair. I just can't wait for the Spring Term to be released...

Incipio Feather Case for iPhone 3G/3GS - White
Incipio Feather Case for iPhone 3G/3GS - White

5.0 out of 5 stars The best case I've seen, 8 Mar 2010
As I waited such a long time for my iphone 3GS to arrive, I had plenty of time to research cases, and frome what I could see, the Incipio got generally good reviews. I was also keen on a case that wasn't going to spoil the lines of the iphone and didn't have an unnecessary patern or styling on it.

I went for the white one which fits neatly and looks almost like it's not there. It's nice to hold and quite grippy as well so the phone doesn't fall out of your hand.

I've noticed a bit of the white covering is coming off at the bottom of the case, but this could be where I've pushed the phone into a docking station that wasn't designed for the iphone, and anyway, it doesn't detract from what is a fantastic case.

I didnt' bother with the screen - well I did try and put it on, but I kept getting bubbles and it looked awful.

I've been using it for a few months now. Overall, highly recommended.

Sigh No More
Sigh No More
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly good, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Sigh No More (Audio CD)
This is a great CD from the first track to the last. I have described it as "refreshing" because it's not often nowadays that a new album really grabs me the whole way through. I love the folky influences and I personally never tire of subtle use of the banjo.

Their sound does remind me of Frightened Rabbit's excellent 2008 album The Midnight Organ Fight although I must have imagined I heard a Scottish accent as I see that the band are from London.

If you - like me - buy a few CDs at a time, I promise you that this will be the one you keep returning to and everyone will be asking you what the name of the band is!

Night Soldiers
Night Soldiers
by Alan Furst
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and exciting, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: Night Soldiers (Paperback)
This was my first Alan Furst book and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I often found myself pausing for breath - it truly is incredible and inspiring to imagine what life was like for many in the run up to and during the Second World War.

It's hugely ambitious - it covers a wide landscape and time period - but never loses its way. I know that some people have complained about a few histocial inaccuracies, but unless you are seriously well informed, I promise you it will not spoil your enjoyment of this book.

Coward on the Beach: 1 (Dick Coward 1)
Coward on the Beach: 1 (Dick Coward 1)
by James Delingpole
Price: 11.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, exciting and gripping, 19 Sep 2007
I have just finished reading Coward on the Beach and am already itching to start on the next book in the series. The main character, Dick Coward is hugely likeable and whilst the book has plenty of the grit and horror of war, it also contains a sense of humour and spirit that make it completely endearing and I was sorry to get to the end.

What makes this book so good is the attention to detail - Delingpole has clearly done a huge amount of research - and you cannot help but feel in total awe of these young men who fought on our behalf. The various battles and episodes Coward finds himself in seem to be based on true events - judging by the acknowledgements, Delingpole has talked to a lot of these soldiers and I'm so glad he did because they won't be around forever and once they're gone, the tales will be gone for good.

If you like anything to do with World War II (as I do), then you will love this book.

Page: 1 | 2