Profile for Milady > Reviews

Milady (London)

London Calling
London Calling

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous track, 28 July 2014
This review is from: London Calling (MP3 Download)
stunningly beautiful track. want to learn it on piano.

Rebooting Democracy: A Citizen's Guide to Reinventing Politics
Rebooting Democracy: A Citizen's Guide to Reinventing Politics
by Manuel Arriaga

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers I've been seeking, 28 July 2014
Excellent, concise and accessible with clear ideas for reform and justification for the method chosen (based on an Ancient Greek system… have we actually come up with anything new? :)). The author is keenly aware of the dangers and combats all the objections very neatly (the most frequently heard one in my experience being ‘Aren’t the population too stupid to decide anything?’). He also points to variations of this system that have been tried and are still operative around the world, which I found very encouraging.

A quick read which I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to all and sundry, not just those who are into political theory, but basically anyone (I’m no academic myself!).

I found this book while searching for discussion on Leaderless Revolution by Carne Ross which is an elegant and thorough demolition of representative politics at every level, national through to supra-national. Leaderless Revolution is truly excellent but did not furnish any solutions. I feel that Rebooting Democracy could easily be the second part and provide all of the answers one has when completely disillusioned with the impossibility of making our current system work, particularly to long-term challenges as well as real social issues outside the experience of the typical career politician.

This book left me with hope for the first time in a long while. As one delves into the big issues of our time, climate change, tax havens, inequality, corporate takeover of government etc, you realise how useless our current system is to combat any of these and that political reform can’t be divorced from solving these.

There is a website you can sign up to for news and developments in this arena at http://www.rebootdemocracy.org which feels like a natural next step!

I couldn't recommend this book more highly.

Dr.Hauschka Kajal Eyeliner 06 Eucalyptus Dew 1.15 g
Dr.Hauschka Kajal Eyeliner 06 Eucalyptus Dew 1.15 g

5.0 out of 5 stars favourite eyeliner ever!, 19 July 2014
My favourite eyeliner so far! I wonder why they have withdrawn it. really great colour. unusual! but subtle. and non irritating.

The Dal Cookbook
The Dal Cookbook
by Krishna Dutta

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book to look at, but recipes need re-editing and testing, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Dal Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love the look, layout and design of this book and it makes me want to cook dals, having loved all the ones I've come into contact with. I'm onto my second recipe now and it's been a disappointing experience so far. The first one neglected to add one of the ingredients in at all (so I just threw it in at the end) and the second one wasn't clear about the fact that black chickpeas never seem to mash down like the others (although there was the ambiguous word 'blend' near the end... does this imply use of a blender? or is this just a word for mixing?). I also nearly used toasted sesame oil rather than plain sesame as I wasn't even aware there was a difference (in a regular supermarket you only find toasted). For us non-Indians, more explanation of things Indians take for granted would be great, so we know what to expect, and a rigid proofreading of the recipes (and testing by someone who isn't used to cooking dals). I'll carry on though as so many of the recipes look great, and hope that they are forgiving too (as many dal recipes do seem to be).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2015 11:29 AM BST

Arabic Calligraphy: Naskh Script for Beginners
Arabic Calligraphy: Naskh Script for Beginners
by Mustafa Ja'far

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 20 Nov. 2009
Very very good book. I'd been looking for a workbook for Arabic Calligraphy for years but never found any. This is not just a workbook, but also a very good one. Lots of good information about the process, and beautifully clear letters and instruction.

It's probably important to point out that this is about calligraphy, and not about just writing Arabic as a language, since that does differ.

I had wondered about the 'ayn letter, and had tried to reproduce it with oblique nibbed pens, and here was the revelation of how they arrived at that shape! Well worth it. I wish this author would do a series of such books on the different scripts.

Mastering Arabic 1 and CD Pack
Mastering Arabic 1 and CD Pack
by Jane Wightwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 3 Feb. 2008
The best book I know of for introducing Arabic and to give the user a solid base. I went on to do a degree in Arabic after using this book. I found this book the easiest to understand and use, and I am aquainted with the whole range availabe (after having worked in one of the best language departments in London (Foyles) in its heyday). Now multimedia is around, there could be some interesting ways of teaching, such as the online schools, but this book would still be a good and practical way of learning. Activities such as actually using a pen and writing are essential and some of the multimedia based learning is not going to use that much, if at all.

oono MiniDAB One MP3 Player (Black)
oono MiniDAB One MP3 Player (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 5 Mar. 2007
This is exactly what I have been waiting for for years. I don't get good DAB in my area, but when in good DAB areas the reception is fantastic. Having the FM is well thought out, its also easier on the battery (which lasts a long long time, its only ever run out on me once while I was out). The interface is marvellously easy to use, and I have even used the included external microphone (there is an internal one too) to record a percussion class). The ease of getting files on and off this device will make iPod users cry. I have even dropped it onto hard floors a couple of times (ouch!) and it hasn't suffered at all. I can't recommend this enough especially if you like listening to the radio. When combined with podcasting from the BBC and other places, MiniDAB becomes your best friend.

Other cool features, a sleep function (turns off after a time you set) , a timed record, timed play (perfect for alarms!), and sound profiles (classical, pop, etc.), one touch record, and removable (and inexpensive!) media.

Perfectly thought out. I hope this company does well!

Vegetarian Cooking Caribbean Style
Vegetarian Cooking Caribbean Style
by Annette Norma Weekes

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 5 Nov. 2003
A real niche cookbook. Most Caribbean cookbooks concentrate on the barbecue style foods (although most times I have been in Trinidad,they don't pop up very often!). My mother is from Trinidad and I know she hardly ever ate meat as a child, so they have a lot of vegetarian recipes there.
This book is beautifully written and illustrated, definitely one of the mouth-watering books to browse. I am just looking up Yellow Split Peas Soup to make for lunch. Much lighter than the equivalent Indian dishes, but not as boring as the equivalent British varieties.

Seeds of Change
Seeds of Change
by Henry Hobhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars History from a Botanical Perspective, 23 July 2002
This review is from: Seeds of Change (Paperback)
I read this book first when it dealt with just 5 plants and the extra chapter on Coca had not been added. It is one of those narratives that enables you to see history from a different perspective, showing you the patterns and currents of world history and how something as simple as one commodity can twist and change people's humanity, ethics, fashion and taste as well as the drastic changes it can wreak on the world as a whole.
It was written long before the current trend of popular and quirky history and in my opinion, is superior to most of them. Absolute thinking history at its best.

Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah
Travels with a Tangerine: A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah
by Tim Mackintosh-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended. Delightful and enlightening., 9 July 2002
A fantastic read, although I have to admit I didn't understand all the vocabulary. It brings the colourful, wide and pluralistic world of medieval Islam to life, replete with amazing characters. I enjoyed it so much that when I finished I went straight back to the beginning. Absolutely wonderful as an introduction to many historical characters (like al-Ma'arri), so I am using it as a starting point to learn more. It beautifully belies the traditional view we have of the medival Islamic arts and culture having been so straight-laced and peopled with paragons.I only wish he would carry on and go all the way to China!
Beautiful travel writing from a master of wry and sympathetic observation. I also heartily recommend 'Travels in Dictionary Land'.