Profile for Foxtrot P > Reviews

Foxtrot P

Memrise
Memrise

3.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvement, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Memrise (App)
I've just bought my first smartphone, and the Memrise app was one of my first downloads. Am a bit disappointed with it, though - you're supposed to be able to download courses to use offline, but this function doesn't seem to work on my Galaxy S3 - it says its downloading, but no matter how long you leave it, nothing actually happens.

My other big gripe is that if your word definitions are long, you can't read them, since they cut off after a certain length. Sure it's useful for languages where you're usually translating one word with one word; but for sciences, where the definitions of various terms are often several sentences long, it is pretty useless. Wish you could click on the "..." where the text cuts off and read the whole thing. Just a little thing, but would make a huge difference to the user experience.

So, probably fine if you're at home on wifi, learning a language.
Not fine if you're on the move and/or learning science courses (or other courses with long definitions) :-(

The Quilter's Bible: The Indispensable Guide to Patchwork, Quilting and Applique
by Linda Clements

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book - worth every penny, 5 Jan 2012
As a clumsy, cackhanded newcomer to quilting and applique, I launched into a major project without really reading up on how to do it, then found myself making ugly mistakes all over the place and running to the internet every five minutes to see how to put them right.

So I bought this book - and it is fantastic. It is set out in a very logical way; it explains things so clearly, with plenty of photos and illustrations; and it's pretty inspirational too (as well as some lovely quilt photos, it covered several types of applique that were new to me at least). It's also very readable - it must be the first reference book that I have actually read in one sitting from cover to cover.

If you're new to patchwork, applique and quilting, this is the book you are looking for.

By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept
By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept
by Elizabeth Smart

1.0 out of 5 stars If Adrian Mole had been a hysterical teenage girl..., 22 Sep 2011
This is clearly a book that divides readers! I like to think I have a bit of poetry in my soul, and that I'm not a "ditzy queen", as another reviewer on this page says; but I found this book overwrought, silly and utterly pretentious. When I wasn't yawning uncontrollably at the repetitiveness, I was attempting to stop my toes curling in sheer embarrassment at the frenzied tone and ridiculous biblical and Ovidian allusions.

Why literary reviewers have labelled it "a masterpiece"; "remarkable...intense...universal"; "a searing experience" etc etc is beyond me. It struck me that if Adrian Mole had been a hysterical teenage girl, this is the kind of dribble he might have written - except with way more insight, humour and self-awareness than Elizabeth Smart. Awful. Just awful. If I could give it zero stars, I would.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2013 11:57 AM GMT

Curly Girl the Handbook
Curly Girl the Handbook
by Lorraine Massey

2.0 out of 5 stars I had such high hopes!, 1 Sep 2011
Having read all of the reviews on this website, I bought the Curly Girl Handbook with high hopes. All I can say is, the method doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's because I've never attacked my hair with straighteners or hair-dryers in the past, or used a lot of products (I gave up trying to do anything with it at an early age), so maybe there just wasn't THAT much difference between a stretched-straight, blow-dried-to-death "before" / happy-ringletted "after" look for me - my hair has always been curly and in good condition.

The book basically advises you to clean your scalp with a bit of nasty-free conditioner (not shampoo); rinse; then condition your hair, leaving most of the conditioner in to hydrate the curls. And only to use your fingers to comb it. (There, that's it - saved you 188 pages of reading.) But instead of taming the frizz and giving me gorgeous locks, this method just made my hair go into greasy-looking coils - and that was on day 1, straight out of the shower! To have the hair of a dirty scumbag when you've just washed and dried the stuff is so disappointing. But maybe I'm just the exception to the rule - there seem to be a lot of people out there who swear by the CG method.

As for the book itself, I appreciate what it is trying to do, but wish it would treat its readers in a less patronising fashion. The non-stop puns, personal stories from random women about how growing up with curly hair has traumatised them for life (32 of them, most taking up a whole page each), "horoscope" chapter (because all girls love horoscopes, right?!?!?!?!?), "12-Step Recovery Program", and photos of the author's baby are all irritating space-fillers.

I did like the chapters on: why curly hair behaves in the way it does; homemade hair-care products (although these are all traditional recipes that you could easily find online); and the chapter showing you how to put your hair up. But a lot of the book wasn't relevant to me; and I would guess that unless you have a large intergenerational / multiracial family, all with curly hair, much of the book will not be relevant to you either.

I am very grateful to the Curly Girl Handbook for opening my eyes to the grisly list of chemicals to be found in the average bottle of shampoo (how does the beauty industry get away with it?). But maybe the answer lies in using sulfate-free, organic shampoo brands sparingly, instead of walking round with a head full of slimy conditioner?

If you have curly hair and spare money to spend on books on personal grooming, then maybe you should disregard my bitter comments and buy the CG Handbook anyway - it might work for you! But if money is tight, I would suggest testing the method out first by, for example, following the instructions on Wikihow; then if it changes your life, perhaps this book will provide you with extra detail - there are some interesting pieces of information hidden amongst the padding.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 2:23 PM BST

Rockport Women's Tinnar Wedge Boot
Rockport Women's Tinnar Wedge Boot

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely boots; but if they don't fit, the seller is in Germany!!, 4 Jun 2010
These are very nice boots, plain but smart. However, unlike the earlier reviewer, I found them far too narrow in the foot (and I think my feet are of fairly average width!). I'm also used to Fly's rubbery-soled boots, and these are hard click-clack type heels, which might not bother most wearers, but would have annoyed me if they'd fitted properly.

Also, I stupidly hadn't noticed that Amazon's free returns policy didn't apply to this boot, or that the seller is based in Germany. I just went to the post office to post them back, and the postage cost of returning the boots is £30!! So... great if the boots fit you; but an expensive little trying-on session if they don't :(

Fly London Women's Yule Boots
Fly London Women's Yule Boots
Price: £90.23 - £145.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Heels worn through after only a few wears, 10 Mar 2010
I have been SO disappointed with these boots. At first I was really delighted - they're massively comfy to wear and look really good - but discovered pretty quickly that the quality is terrible. After wearing them about five times, I noticed that the bottoms of the heels were wearing through. At these prices, and with Fly London's reputation, you would really hope that they would still be intact after such a short period of time. I would not buy these boots again, and it's kind of shaken my faith in other styles of Fly now too - it's a real shame.