Profile for Bromcom > Reviews

Content by Bromcom

Bromcom (UK)

Football Manager 2009 (PC) (MAC)
Football Manager 2009 (PC) (MAC)
Offered by pb ReCommerce UK

4.0 out of 5 stars FAO: Mac users, 15 Nov. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Just bought this today (from Game, sorry Amazon!) and got it home to see floods of complaints about keycode authentication... Panicked a bit. But installed it on my Mac. Umm... Didn't even ask for my keycode. Works fine...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2008 2:53 PM GMT

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy (PS3)
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy (PS3)
Offered by Ent-Plus+

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but enjoyable, 6 July 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
So, I bought this game yesterday afternoon, and completed it, well... this morning. Probably 5hrs of gaming. Not a huge amount of game time.

The game is based around the first movie, the 'Bourne Identity', with flashbacks to what Bourne was doing before he lost his memory that weren't in the film. The characters aren't based on their film counterparts, with completely new faces being used throughout, which I thought very strange. (Maybe Damon didn't want anything to do with it, can't blame him really!)

The game is passable. Short, sometimes repetitive with a below average ending. The fighting is fun, but again repetitive. One major issue I had with the game was the driving sequence (only happens once, and is available in the demo). In short, it's pants. It's like they were almost finished making it and thought "Ooh, we'd better add a driving section".

It's a shame really, there are some great concepts in here, but all have been underdeveloped. It had the potential to live up to the movies but just didn't quite do so, on any level. I'm a little disappointed at spending £40 on 5hrs of game, that I would not play again.

I think rent it. Complete it. And forget it.

NEXT!

Mass Effect (PC DVD)
Mass Effect (PC DVD)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 7 Jun. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Well, I can understand the major issues with the games DRM system. I'm not exactly an advocator of DRM myself. However, if you can get past these issues then you'll be in for one heck of a treat. I am a PS3 owner and was gutted when I heard that Mass Effect was a 360 exclusive. But also owning a PC saved me.

The game is simply amazing. Graphics are second to none, storyline and gameplay are the same. I don't have a high end PC (In fact I'm running it on an Apple iMac with BootCamp) and it looks great, not all the settings are turned up, but I can deal with that.

Buy it. That's all I can say.

Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3)
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun! Bad programming., 25 April 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, I've got to admit that I quite enjoyed this one. But there are a few issues:

Pros
- The graphics are quite impressive on occasion
- The epic battles a pretty cool
- Gorey (This could be seen as a con too!)
- Easy to pick up and play

Cons
- Crashes. I have finished the game 3 times, but have yet to see the ending sequence because it crashes. Not happy.
- Upgradable armour and weapons. Well you can upgrade your weapon, sort of, but it doesn't really do anything you'd notice. Armour? No.
- Dodgy shadows and lighting
- Sloooow when in a huge battle.
- For a game that is based on massive battles, you do spend a lot of time wandering around on your own.
- No multiplayer, or co-op. Would have been a great addition
- Somewhat repetitive
- Did I say repetitive?

I think its a rental and then decide whether you should buy it or not. I've heard mixed reviews as to whether it crashes or not, so maybe you'll get lucky. There is no announced patch coming out for it, which is a shame, but maybe they will in the future.

Overall good fun with a lot of promise. Sadly the testers seemed to miss some MAJOR bug issues. Oh well. GTA 4 here I come!

Timeshift (PS3)
Timeshift (PS3)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, bad animation and weak storyline, 18 Jan. 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Timeshift (PS3) (Video Game)
I think my title sums it up really. I have to agree with the reviewer who posted saying it was like a PS2 game. Not sure why it is receiving such rave reviews. The in game graphics are passable, but with no lip-synching. Which I find strange for a 'Next-gen' title.

Gameplay is fun, if a little fiddly at times. The timeshift button combinations sometimes don't work quite how you want them to, which is frustrating in the middle of a fire-fight as this can lead you to waste your ability.

The story. Well, I have to be honest, and say, you have to guess parts of it, as it is very disjointed. Occasionally you get a 5 - 10 second FMV cutscene (I thought nextgen games didn't do this anymore) that tries to explain what is going on. I was never really involved with the story. But maybe thats on purpose for the next installment.

On a plus though, blowing up the bad guys in slow-mo or time-freeze is great fun. But I don't think Sierra should have based a game around this alone.

Overall, I was confused, a bit bored and only finished it because I spent £50 on it. Your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. Buy COD 4 or Uncharted instead. Both are more enjoyable and have a longer lifespan.

Half-Life 2: Episode One (PC DVD)
Half-Life 2: Episode One (PC DVD)
Offered by MasterDVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but watch out if you plan to play on your laptop!, 14 Jun. 2006
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
First off, brilliant. A great idea (Though somewhat Star Wars-ish) to have episodes. The graphics are superb for quite a low spec machine. Infact, you're probably asking yourself, "Why only 3 Stars?".

Well, I own a laptop. A decent desktop replacement, with very high specs and over twice the minimum system requirements, and I had serious problems running the game.

Its something to do with an ATI XSeries graphics card in laptops. Anyway, theres little or no support on the Steam website (You have to validate the game through Steam and the internet) or the Valve website.

So, beware, its great fun, but a nightmare of epic proportions to get going. (It still crashes frequently). Needs a new patch.

On and On
On and On

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hawiian does it again!, 30 July 2003
This review is from: On and On (Audio CD)
Wow. After the amazing Brushfore Fairytales, I thought that it couldn't get any better, I was wrong. From the offset this album is an awesomefeat. The amazing 'The Horizon Has Been Defeated' is a catchy, chilled out almost reggae song, which really shows his love of the planet. Another great track is 'Cookie Jar', a song about blaming each other for everything.
Clever lyrics, beautiful acoustic guitar playing, a mesmerizing voice, chilled drums and bass, make this one heck of an album. A definite Sunday afternoon listen. BUY IT!