Profile for Sorcerer > Reviews

The Scarlet Gospels
The Scarlet Gospels
by Clive Barker

3.0 out of 5 stars A tale of two halves..., 5 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Scarlet Gospels (Hardcover)
Firstly let me state that I am a huge Clive Barker fan. He is my hero. I love his books and was so looking forward to his grand return to the horror genre. For me, The Scarlet Gospels was a book of two halves. The first was astounding. Classic Barker. The second half seemed rushed, unfinished and a little turgid. Other reviewers have suggested this is down to brutal editing. I understand the original manuscript was around 1000 pages long. Perhaps one day the full cut will be published so we can enjoy this work in its entirety.

Stevie Nicks: Visions Dreams & Rumours
Stevie Nicks: Visions Dreams & Rumours

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant biopic, 29 Oct. 2014
What a brilliant biopic. As a Stevie super fan there isn't much I don't know about the Gold Dust Woman but Zoe Howes someone managed to enlighten even me. Entertainingly written, well researched and thoroughly enjoyable. Well done.

City of the Damned (Gotrek & Felix)
City of the Damned (Gotrek & Felix)
by David Guymer

1.0 out of 5 stars So long Black Library...., 29 Oct. 2014
I've been putting off reading this book after the mess of the previous Gotrek and Felix book, Road of Skulls. But being a fan of the intrepid duo, I started City of the Damned. What started off as a promising tale set in an atmospheric moorland with villagers being terrorised by a evil beast soon turned into another turgid, boring and dull story. I gave up half way through. I cannot express my disappointment with how this amazing series has turned out. The William King and Nathan Long novels were brilliant. I've come to the decision that I will leave the journey here. New books chronicling the doom of Gotrek are coming out, which sound promising, but, if this is anything to go by, I think true fans like me will be left feeling let down. Sorry Black Library - it was nice knowing you.

Nádúr
Nádúr

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, but long overdue, return, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Nádúr (Audio CD)
After 15 very long years away from the recording industry, Clannad are back with their first new CD since 1998's Landmarks. Nadur is a wonderful return for this fantastic and incredibly talented band. Of course, at the forefront, are Moya Brennan's mystical vocals which shine through on all the songs. The highlight for me has to be the duet with Duke Special - Brave Enough - which is a worthy successor to the classic Moya/Bono duet In a Lifetime. As with many Clannad albums we are taken on a journey through mystical new age sounds (Vellum) to more pop and jazz-based offerings (The Fishing Blues). I downloaded this on Friday and have not stopped listening to it. It is brilliant. I just hope this CD gets the exposure it deserves and we get to enjoy some more new material from Clannad over the next few years.

Stevie Nicks - Through The Looking Glass [DVD] [2013][Region 0] [NTSC]
Stevie Nicks - Through The Looking Glass [DVD] [2013][Region 0] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Stevie Nicks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but something of a missed opportunity, 18 April 2013
After the countless Fleetwood Mac documentaries that are out there, it was exciting to hear about one that would focus more on singer Stevie Nicks. Obviously as an 'unofficial' release we weren't going to get any new interviews or performances so my expectations were not that high. Unfortunately this is, again, primarily a documentary about Fleetwood Mac whose music is covered in great detail. Stevie's amazing solo career is covered but the film speeds through it very quickly. The Other Side of the Mirror, for example, is pretty much mentioned in passing as is Trouble in Shangri-La and the new album In Your Dreams. The film contains interesting insights from a series of experts - most notably from producers Ken Caillat and Keith Olsen. Overall not bad but don't expect anything new.

Road of Skulls (Gotrek & Felix)
Road of Skulls (Gotrek & Felix)
by Josh Reynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new addition to an amazing series, 28 Mar. 2013
Having read all the Gotrek and Felix books and loving them - both the William King, Nathan Long and the spin off novels - I was looking forward to this new entry. Road of Skulls is turgid, uninteresting and quite frankly boring. It took me three and a half weeks to plough through the text and I was glad when it ended. Such a shame. I hope Black Library can salvage this series for the next book. The only glimmer was some moderately interesting insights into Gotrek's mysterious past.