Profile for Westwood1 > Reviews

Westwood1

Wife 22
Wife 22

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea poorly delivered, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Wife 22 (Kindle Edition)
I bought this given the generally positive reviews and, whilst I enjoyed the first half, it started going downhill pretty quickly thereafter. Quite a original idea structure-wise, but her plot didn't manage to stray beyond the bounds of tedious, with stereotypical characters, clunky dialogue and just oh-too-many "Yeah, right" moments to have any lasting impact. I was actually really quite cross in the final few chapters - it felt like my intelligence was being insulted. I didn't like any of the characters either - which is not a problem as long as you admire their construction or learn something from them, but they were far too 2-D for that. I would have given it fewer stars, but I did enjoy reading the first half - it's just that her actual writing style, weak characters and unrealistic plot development couldn't match up to the initial promise. It's an ok read if you're tired, on a sun lounger or not expecting much.

The Lucky Ones
The Lucky Ones
by Rachel Cusk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and affecting, 23 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Lucky Ones (Paperback)
I think Rachel Cusk is a fabulous writer and The Lucky Ones is one of my favourites amongst her work. More like a series of short stories than a novel, each one is beautifully crafted. She creates the most realistic and recognisable characters and writes with seemingly effortless originality in terms of language. She writes sentences and creates pictures that are, I think, often quite breathtaking in their ability to penetrate and impact. She makes me wince, laugh, cry and nod. It feels like a privilege to read what she has written sometimes - her bravery and honesty are rare and precious and she makes you think as well as feel - whilst you're reading and long after.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Disappointment, 23 Jan. 2012
I thought this book was absolute garbage. I bought it having been massively misled by the fantastic reviews it garnered and which suggested it was not just for young adults, but also for more sophisticated readers - but I thought it was really poor quality writing (if she uses the word "grins" once, she uses it six thousand times!) To be fair there are one or two good lines which provide touching insight to a 17 year old's confusion and the pain connected to divorce and the fracture of a parental bond - and I do appreciate those lines and insights. However, that could have come in a 600 word article, not an entire book, I think if you ARE a 17 year old girl who has been through this experience, you would probably really enjoy it and get some comfort from it. If you're not, give it a miss and read some Rachel Cusk.