Profile for Gary Nicklin > Reviews

Content by Gary Nicklin

Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Winter Sparrows: A Glasgow Childhood
Winter Sparrows: A Glasgow Childhood
by Mary Rose Liverani

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 26 April 2005
Although now out of print, I managed to get hold of an ex-library copy of this book from Amazon Marketplace when a family member wanted it for a present.
The story deals with the growing up of children in post second world war Glasgow as told through the eyes of the author as a child. The descriptions of places and people are quite magical and incredibly well written and they draw the reader into the world of grey tenement buildings where the young Mary Rose and her family struggle through poverty and dream of escaping it by emmigrating to Australia.
The book finishes as they leave Glasgow to embark on their new life. I'd love to know what happens next, but have been unable to find any other books by this author.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 5:57 AM BST

How to Boil an Egg: and 184 Other Simple Recipes for One (Right Way S.)
How to Boil an Egg: and 184 Other Simple Recipes for One (Right Way S.)
by Jan Arkless

4.0 out of 5 stars My first cookery book, 21 April 2005
I was given this book as a housewarming present when I first moved out of my parents' house about 15 years ago. I think the person that gave it to me thought it was a bit of a joke, due to the title. However, this is a brilliant book for someone that needs to cook simple, tasty meals for one or two. The book is full of useful tips and the recipes are easy to follow. The spaghetti bolognaise is one recipe that I remember with much fondness. It was a firm favourite when friend or family came round.
A few years later I became vegetarian and subsequently purchased "No Meat for Me Please" by the same author, which is just as good for those of us that don't eat meat.

Angels And Demons
Angels And Demons
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars If you read the Da Vinci Code you won't be disappointed..., 11 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
You won't - it's virtually the same story. Robert Langdon with a female assistant follows clues around a European city in pursuit of an ancient organisation intent on bringing down the Vatican. Sound familiar? Having said that, I did enjoy the book. Okay, its not the greatest writing, but the chapters are short and they did keep me reading until the end.

Watchers: Culloden!
Watchers: Culloden!
by William Meikle

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 2 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Watchers: Culloden! (Paperback)
Initially, before reading the first novel in the Watchers trilogy I was sceptical that a story mixing British history with the myths of vampires would work. It sounded so corny. I'm happy to say I was proved wrong and, after finishing the first two books, The Coming of the King and Battle for the Throne, I was eagerly awaited the publication of this, the final novel to discover whether the vampiric Others, led by the Blood King, would be defeated. Now that I've read it, I'm not disappointed - it was worth the wait.
The story begins where the last one left following Sean and Martin as they continue their quest to defeat the Blood King. Martin leads the army of men as they desperately hold off the Others Meanwhile Sean continues his search for Mary Campbell, hoping to save her before the Blood King makes her his bride.
The action switches backwards and forwards between the two subplots and Meikle's writing flows smoothly, making sure that I, as a reader, never got lost as the story winds its way towards its conclusion in the battle of the title.

The Naked Chef
The Naked Chef
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Making it easy., 27 Jan. 2005
This review is from: The Naked Chef (Paperback)
I love this book. If I'm stuck for an idea for something to rustle up I can usually find some inspiration here. Jamie makes everything sound so simple and I find myself making something that I would usually have considered too difficult or time consuming.

Floyd's India
Floyd's India
by Keith Floyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series - Great Book, 27 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Floyd's India (Paperback)
I got this book after spending the best part of a day watching the TV series on one of the satellite cooking channels. I was struck by Floyd's enthusiasm and the authenticity of the cooking that I had to see if they transferred into the book. and, by and large, they do. Although many of the recipes have had to be altered to take account of the fact that most British cooks do not cook over an open fire or in a hole in the ground using dried cow-pats for fuel they are still incredibly authentic and tasty. Add to this Keith Floyd's inimitable style and account of his travels while making the program and you have an almost perfect Indian cookery book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very compelling, 3 Nov. 2004
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is different to everything else I've read and, once I'd passed the halfway mark, I found it very difficult to put down. The story, written from the perspective of a 15 year old boy suffering from Asperger's Syndrome really makes you think about your perception of people. The narrative is straight from the boys logical mind, and as such is often funny without intentionally meaning to be so, and sometimes very sad. It is touted as a children's book. Some children will like it, others won't and some parents will not like their children reading it. It is certainly not a children's book in the same way that Harry Potter and the like are. Nevertheless, it is a bridge to trying to understand that not everyone sees the world in the same way.

Watchers: the Battle for the Throne
Watchers: the Battle for the Throne
by William Meikle

5.0 out of 5 stars The story continues..., 5 Sept. 2003
Battle for the Throne is the second part of the Watchers Trilogy. In the first we were introduced to Martin and Sean, two young men who were tasked to accompany and look after a traveller and his daughter as they made their way through the north of England pursued by the Others, a vampiric race intent on taking the throne of England.
In book two, the characters become deeper and more rounded as the reader learns of their internal struggles and personal feelings and we discover the reason that the Others, led by the Blood King are so intent on finding Martin and his charges.
The book continues where the previous one left off, with Martin taking on the responsibility of leadership as the Others attack the Milecastle that he now commands and with Sean in pursuit of the girl he was charged to protect.
Meikle effortlessly introduces new legends and races as if they had always been part of British folklore and his description of the battles that rage as the Others pursue Martin and his men across northern England rank with the best.
As the last page is turned, Battle for the Throne leaves you gasping for more and hoping that the third book isn't too far off.

The Woman In Black
The Woman In Black
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and spooky., 15 July 2003
This review is from: The Woman In Black (Paperback)
This is a great ghost story. I was introduced to it after seeing the stage-play at my local theatre. The play had the audience screaming and I just had to see how well they had translated the book.
The play is pretty faithful to the book and I urge you to see it if its ever around your area. As for the book it is well written and very chilling. I was gripped from the start, even though I knew what was happening. The story unfolds nicely and builds the mystery and horror up to a crescendo that almost leaves you gasping and then when you think its all over... well I won't spoil it - go and read it for yourself.

Brit Spice
Brit Spice
by Manju Malhi

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, quick curry - who could ask for more?, 26 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Brit Spice (Paperback)
This book is great, the recipes are so easy to follow and end up so tasty that after trying out the Baked Bean Balti, I was desperate to try another.
The Indian Style Bubble and Squeak is now a firm favourite on my menu, and I can't imagine making bubble and squeak without the Indian spices.
I thoroughly recommend this book for those who want to make quick tasty Indian food without having to scour the supermarket shelves for weird and wonderful ingredients.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7