Profile for Gary Nicklin > Reviews

Content by Gary Nicklin

Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A Spot of Bother
A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done, 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: A Spot of Bother (Paperback)
As with "Dog in the Night Time", this tale by Mark Haddon enables you to have some understanding of what might be going on in someone's head as they gradually slip into madness. His portrayal of George and his relationship with the rest of his family was funny and moving and I found it hard to put the book down.

Mushrooms (Collins Gem)
Mushrooms (Collins Gem)
by Patrick Harding

4.0 out of 5 stars A very compact source of good information, 9 Aug. 2007
I went on a fungas foray with the author of this book last year and it was extremely interesting and great fun. This book, although small, is packed full of the stuff I learned and much more information that gives me the confidence to go hunting on my own. It's the perfect size to pop in your pocket or basket while out walking.

One of the great things about it is that it identifies other species that can be confused with what you might have found. This allows you to double check and should make any mushroom hunting a lot safer.

Tokyo
Tokyo
by Mo Hayder

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, if a little predictable, 3 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Tokyo (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Mo Hayders first two books and was looking forward to reading this. I'm impressed that she can turn her hand to other styles (although the gory bits are still there) but I didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped.

After about two thirds of the way through, I could see the end coming and wasn't surprised at all by the end and the reason that "linked" the two main characters.

I see that her next novel is another Caffrey one. Now I'm excited...

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
by Mitch Albom

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 28 April 2007
I wanted to like this book, and to take something away from it. But, I couldn't, and didn't. I kept hoping, all the time that I was reading it, that the ending wouldn't be as contrived and predictable as I thought it might be. However, it was and I felt quite disappointed and a little cheated.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very clever., 28 April 2007
My wife read this before me and her description of the story made it sound like it could be very confusing. However, it's not. I thought it was extremely well written and and a very, very clever concept.

Some of the story is quite amusing, other parts are sad. The main characters are very real, despite the fantastic concept, and it all works beautifully.

The Historian
The Historian
by Elizabeth Kostova

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take on the Dracula legend, 28 April 2007
This review is from: The Historian (Paperback)
I'd been meaning to buy the Historian for some time, but kept getting put off by the mixed reviews that it received. Anyway, I decided to take the plunge, and I'm glad that I did.

I'm quite a big Dracula/vampire fan and I enjoyed the different twist that Elizabeth Kostova gives the story. In parts it does get a bit bogged down, and the story slows up, but on the whole I found it a good read an it kept my interest up to find out what happened next.

Some of the writing is a bit strange, especially the way that some of the accents are written. I found myself slightly distracted from the story as I tried to figure out exactly what these people might actually sound like but, apart from that it is very readable.

Quadrophenia (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1979]
Quadrophenia (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Phil Daniels
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars At last..., 27 April 2007
This is what I've been waiting for. I've various copies of this movie, from the original video release through the region 2 and region 1 versions but although the extras that were gradually added were interesting, the film itself was still the original grainy print.

This 2 disc edition has a new digitised version of the film, crystal clear and properly formatted for widescreen.

The new extras are great, the making-of documentary contains some great interviews with the cast and the brief guide to the locations is quite interesting and will save you doing the Brighton tour.

Finally, the verbal sparring between Phil Daniels and Franc Roddam in the commentary is amusing and worth a listen. Even if you already have a copy of the film, this is probably still worth buying.

Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia
Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia
by Chris Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars It's enought to persuade you to buy a Spanish farm, 30 Mar. 2007
I loved this book so much, that as soon as I finished it, I ordered the next two.

Chris Stewart brings his adventures on his farm in the Spanish hills to life in a well written, easy to read and, in parts, very funny book.

Thoroughly recommended.

Wicked: 1 (Wicked Years 1)
Wicked: 1 (Wicked Years 1)
by Gregory Maguire

3.0 out of 5 stars Sightly disappointed, 22 Jan. 2007
I, like many others it seems, was expecting something a little lighter that reminded me of the original Oz books I read when I was younger. However, Wicked is dark and particularly adult.

I can't decide whether I liked this or not. Some of it was very good, some of it wasn't. I kept thinking while I was reading "how on earth did they make a musical of this?"

Well, I saw the musical last week and the answer is that they took the character of Elphaba and made the rest of the story up... Still, this is a review of the book rather than the musical.

My memory of the Oz books is probably coloured by the film so I admit that I have no idea whether Maguire's Oz is true to Baum's original one. However, Wicked's Oz is very dark and he's done quite a good job of turning the goodies into baddies and vice-versa. Whereas once you would of hated the Wicked Witch, now you're rooting for her. Still, I think I would've liked a few more jokes and less unanswered questions.

Made in Italy: Food and Stories
Made in Italy: Food and Stories
by Giorgio Locatelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Molto Bella, 14 Jan. 2007
Made in Italy is so much more than an Italian cookery book. As well as some superb recipes it also contains autobiographical accounts of Giorgio Locatelli's life and the history of Italy and Italian cooking.

Oh yeah, and it also looks great.

The risotto section itself is worth having the book for. It is so well written and easy to read that by the time you've cooked your risotto you know the complete history of rice, what happens to it when it's cooking and how the various regions of Italy cook risottos differently.

If you only buy one Italian cookbook, make sure it's this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7