ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)

Profile for Gary Nicklin > Reviews

Content by Gary Nicklin

Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Cooking Lessons
Cooking Lessons
by Daisy Garnett
Price: 11.04

4.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of cookbook, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: Cooking Lessons (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My shelves are full of cookbooks, but it's very rare that I read one from start to finish. Cooking Lessons is a bit different in that it is the story of Daisy Garnett's journey from thinking that food is just something to keep the energy levels up to becoming absolutely passionate about food, both cooking and eating.

It's quite wittily written and very easy to read. Some of it, such as when she is sailing to Europe, is in the form of a diary, others are more autobiographical prose. Scattered thoughout the book are various recipes that Daisy has cooked or had cooked for her, some of which are her favourites from other cookbooks (all noted in case you are inspired to investigate further) some that are cooked by family, friends or the various housekeepers that came and went as she was growing up.

The recipes range from simple dishes that she prepared from the various ingredients found in the galley of the boat she was sailing on as she tried to use ingredients before they went off, to more exotic dishes - all with anecdotes and instructions, even down to the kind of bowl you "must" have to make the chocolate souffle.

I haven't cooked anything from the book as yet, but I'm definitely going to keep it to hand.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box., 1 Dec 2008
It works, and rather well too. I popped in the CD, loaded the drivers and software, plugged the adapter into the USB socket and away it went.

The video capture is pretty good, the writing to DVD is a bit slow, but this is just as likely to be my laptop than anything else. The bottom line is, I needed something to be able to put my videos onto DVD at a reasonable price, and this does it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 12:20 AM BST

The Who - At Kilburn 1977 + Live at the Coliseum [DVD] [NTSC]
The Who - At Kilburn 1977 + Live at the Coliseum [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Who

4.0 out of 5 stars Another one for the collection, 1 Dec 2008
I've always considered the version of Won't Get Fooled Again on The Kids Are Alright as the most exciting and definitive version, and now we can see the whole concert where it was recorded. It's a good show, not one of their best, but pretty good. Sure Roger forgets his words and Pete has a rant at the audience, but that just underlines the fact that these are four west-London lads doing their stuff. Looking back, considering this was Moonie's last but one performance, it is quite poignant and almost prophetic when he says between tracks that he is going to the dressing room to overdose.

The other concert, at the Coliseum, is pure late 60's Who at their finest. The quality of the film isn't great, but it's almost forty years old - what do you expect? However, this doesn't diminish the power of the performance. Oh, how I wish I'd been there....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2013 2:24 AM GMT

The Killing Circle
The Killing Circle
by Andrew Pyper

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable read., 9 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Killing Circle (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I quite enjoyed the Killing Circle and I was interested to read that an option had been taken on it to be made into a film as while I was reading it I kept thinking that it was perfect horror film material.

I didn't think that it was that original, but it had a couple of twists that kept me reading to the end. A few times it seemed about to go into supernatural territory, but then it came back to the main story with the too often used "just a dream/vision" excuse, which was a shame as that would have given it a nice edge over the normal "serial killer" tale. The main character is fairly well fleshed out but most of those around him are quite two dimensional and I never really felt any empathy with any of them. The "revelation" at the end I felt was unnecessary and didn't add anything to the story. Still, that aside, it was a fairly easy and enjoyable read and I'll probably go and see the film if it is made.

Paul Gayler's Sauce Book: 300 World Sauces Made Simple
Paul Gayler's Sauce Book: 300 World Sauces Made Simple
by Paul Gayler

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb collection, 11 Oct 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paul Gayler is a favourite chef of mine. I've already got a couple of his books, I've eaten at his restaurant and met him when attending a cookery masterclass, so forgive me if I am a bit biased.

This book has a recipe for almost every sauce you could possibly think of and many that you've probably never heard of. It ranges from the most simple basic dipping sauce through the classic French sauces to exotic Oriental and Mexican sauces.

Many of the sauce recipes have accompanying recipes of dishes that show the sauces off to their best.

The Sicilian Tomato sauce is one of the best tomato sauces I have had and will now be a regular in my diet. The Greek Skordalia with Beetrot recipe made a great starter and looked as good as the book.

I'm now keen on working my way through the rest of the book.

The Gargoyle
The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange but addictive tale of love through the ages, 26 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Gargoyle (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed the Gargoyle. It took me a while to get into as during the first few chapters I found the gory and clinical descriptions of the main character's burn treatment quite nauseating at times. However, once I got to know the characters, I became addicted and wanted to know what happened.

The "stories within the story" as Marienne Engel tells the tales of the main character's past lives are fascinating and I was never quite sure whether they were true or whether she was quite mad. When I got there I found the end quite sad and not what I was expecting at all.

A great book and one that, I thought, was very well written.

The Running Time
The Running Time
Price: 11.27

3.0 out of 5 stars A good pub band, 11 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Running Time (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I was sitting in a pub and Solidtube were playing, I'd have a good evening listening to them, but I wouldn't go so far as to buy an album from them. This album starts quite well, reminding me in some places of early Georgia Satellites recordings, but I got bored with it fairly quickly. That's only my opinion of course, someone else may love it.

What I was impressed with was the way the album had been financed. The website that supports the band, and many others, seems like a great idea and I hope to see other bands given the chance to release albums by this method in the future.

The French Laundry Cookbook
The French Laundry Cookbook
by Michael Ruhlman
Price: 24.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Aug 2008
This book is amazing. Not only does it look great, the recipes contained within it are superb. It is so beautifully produced that it wouldn't look out of place on your coffee table or in your kitchen.

However, it is the food that this is really about. The French Laundry has three Michelin stars and is consistantly voted the best restaurant in North America and one of the top five in the world. Having been lucky enough to eat there and then wondered how the chefs are able to create such amazing dishes, I now know.

This book makes it possible to create Michelin star dishes at home. Sure, they can be very fiddly and a lot of work, but you can do it and it really makes you appreciate the work that goes into putting that marvellous food in front of the customers, day in/day out.

If you are really serious about good quality, haute cuisine then this book is a must. If you're not, then enjoy it for the fabulous photography and anecdotes, and leave it on your coffee table to impress guests.

The Resurrectionist
The Resurrectionist
by James Bradley
Price: 6.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well..., 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Resurrectionist (Paperback)
I picked up this as the local bookshop was doing a deal on Richard and Judy books.

It started quite well, although I felt that, apart from the main couple of characters, many of the others weren't fleshed out as much as they should've been and didn't really make an impression. Often, when a character turned up later in the book, I found myself checking back to find out who they were.

The story is a great idea and the first half of the book builds it quite nicely. The atmosphere of Georgian London is evoked well. Then it seems as though the reader is expected to fill in a lot of gaps by themselves as there seemed to be gaps in the narrative as events seem to happen much too quickly. This, I thought was especially so in the last part of the story where I really wasn't sure what was going on and even after it was explained I still felt that it didn't really work and would've been quite happy if the story had finished earlier without what felt almost like a "Hollywood happy ending".

Personally I feel that the whole book would be better if it was twice as long and the narrative wasn't so rushed allowing the story, a few hinted at subplots and the characters to develop in a much more realistic and natural way.

As for being a "Gothic Chiller" - definitely not.

Zal and Zara and the Great Race of Azamed
Zal and Zara and the Great Race of Azamed
by Kit Downes

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, 9 Aug 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book by Kit Downes and, although it's no Harry Potter (I guess all new children's authors must be sick of that benchmark...) it is a really fun book to read.

I read it in three sittings, and it is an easy book to get into. I can imagine a lot of young children enjoying reading it, and quite a few adults enjoying reading it to their offspring.

The story itself is pretty simple, but well told and the main characters are fairly well fleshed out and quite believable. The world that the author creates feels quite real and it would be a shame if Kit Downes doesn't return to it in a future book. All in all, I enjoyed it and wish the author well with this and future books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7