Profile for Impenitent Pedant > Reviews

Premier Housewares Georgia Tea Canister - Cream
Premier Housewares Georgia Tea Canister - Cream
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive tea caddy, 12 Mar. 2015
A very attractive small tea container that has only half the capacity of the one I broke. But, it still has enough capacity for my purposes.

My remaining sugar and coffee containers have not broken so my new tea container looks like an orphan. I shall replace the old ones eventually to make a new, matched set.

Climate: the Counter Consensus (Independent Minds)
Climate: the Counter Consensus (Independent Minds)

5.0 out of 5 stars What's going on, Amazon?, 15 Jan. 2015
I confess that this is not a review of the book, which I have read and shall review separately this coming week, but a clarion call of alarm at the fact that the book is apparently no longer available for curious, perhaps, spurious, reasons.

Yesterday (14 Jan 2015) I sent this email to Independent Minds, the publisher, expressing my concern but as yet have heard nothing. Text follows:

>>>
My friend recently indicated that he wished to buy Robert Carter's "Climate: The Counter Consensus" and I recommended he buy from Amazon.

When he went to the Amazon.co.uk website the following message was displayed, and is still being displayed:

Item Under Review
This book is currently unavailable because there is an issue with its description, content, or formatting.
We are working with the publisher to fix the issue. As always, we value customer feedback.

Alternative offers from, I imagine, Amazon Marketplace vendors range in price from £31.60 (used) to an astonishing £1,433.35 (new)! I bought my copy from Amazon in 2012 for £6.99

I note, too, that the Independent Minds website is described as being updated so I am not sure whether this is likely to reach you. If I get no acknowledgement I will re-send to the editorial and marketing email addresses.

What can this be? Is Prof Carter under attack, legal or otherwise, for his book? Is Amazon now censoring books? It asks for feedback but in this matter offers no easy way of giving it.

Can you help or advise? I do not wish to give my copy away and my friend will not spend these ludicrous prices on used paperbacks.

BTW Amazon.com does not have the above message but is not offering the book directly. The prices demanded by the vendors are all above $100.

NB Above sent to Stacey International website at 11:20 AM on Wednesday, 14th January. Got message:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'ActiveX component can't create object: 'CDONTS.NewMail'/v1/site/feedbackThanks.asp, line 20

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.
<<<

Amazon claims to want feedback but offers no obvious opportunity or mechanism to do so in cases like this. Hence, I am reduced to writing about my concern in this inappropriate place.

Surely reputable science books by reputable authors deserve shelf space. And if not what can Amazon offer us as a complete explanation rather than the garbled and incomplete concern about "issues with its description, content or formatting". In my printed copy the description provided by Amazon is consistent with the book, the formatting is - well, it's a book and I have found no formatting issues. It reads page by page, chapter by chapter and the production values for a paperback are fine.

That leaves content!

Has Amazon become a part of a new age of censorship? There seems to be a lot of it about and many of the one-star reviews wish that the author be not granted a platform - some of them proudly claiming not to have read the book.

I think Amazon owes us, its loyal and regular customers, a full and unqualified explanation for this strange behaviour that I have not seen EVER in any other book it carries.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 8:02 AM GMT

Mylek Citrus ULTIMA + Professional Concentrate Carpet Shampoo - 2 x 5 Litres - Works With all Machines
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product; effective, economical and highly recommended, 21 Jun. 2014
Astonishingly quick delivery forced me out of my armchair and into domestic effort sooner than I had anticipated. Such are the woes of the domestically challenged.

My VAX carpet washer had used up all of the supplied cleaning fluid in dealing with one bedroom (my carpets are really filthy) and this product was a lot cheaper and had very good reviews. I bought 10 litres because the cost of shipping was the same as for 5 litres and I had no idea how much I would need.

I didn't need 10 litres!

The second bedroom took one tank of water, using 200 ml of cleaning fluid. My hall and living room combined are three times the size of the bedroom so I expect to use a further 600 ml. When I have finished, and if I count in the first bedroom, I will have enough of this product left to wash all my carpets another 9 times!

The results were excellent. The cost was minuscule. This was an excellent buy!

Seagate Momentus 2.5 inch XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5 inch XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to rate this fairly, 12 Aug. 2013
The (conventional) hard drive in my MacBook Pro was starting to behave in a way that made me anxious about its residual reliability. I had had to use Disk Utility to Mount and Unmount on a couple of occasions but when I had to use programming skills to force the Mount/Unmount situation I became seriously concerned.

As the drive was clearly in need of replacement my searches for a replacement led me to this hybrid drive. As a 500GB replacement for a 320GB original it had more capacity than I needed, and as a hybrid its costs were roughly in line with a 750GB conventional drive. Its 7200 RPM spin speed was also a considerable improvement on the original's 5400 RPM.

I installed it in a 2.5" caddy to set up a volume structure and format the drive, then I cloned my "host" volumes onto the hybrid. Following a swap of the drives - conventional out, hybrid in - I repaired the conventional original (now encased in the caddy) and ran various tests on the hybrid.

Since doing that several months ago the MacBook Pro has run without fault and more quietly than with the original conventional drive. It appears to be running cooler, which I put down to the reduced spin time for the disc as the SSD component of the drive acquires ever more of my most used applications and related data.

The trickiness in rating the drive arises because I will need many months of successful operation to satisfy myself of its reliability as well as its demonstrated performance improvement.

If the hybrid lasts as long as the conventional drive it will provide me with nearly 4-years of improved performance. On the strength of the perceived performance improvement I am rating it as 5 star but will re-visit this review if it fails sooner.

[The conventional drive is now acting a Time Machine backup for a friend's MacBook Pro. Nothing need ever be wasted!]

FRUIT OF THE LOOM PLAIN WHITE T SHIRT
FRUIT OF THE LOOM PLAIN WHITE T SHIRT
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars They shrank!, 11 Aug. 2013
I bought a number of these, size XL, and washed them. They shrank!

I bought some more, size XXL, and washed them. They shrank, too, but they now fit me nicely.

Not what I expected from Fruit of the Loom, and quite an expensive way to get simple white T-shirts that fit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 12:33 PM BST

Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - White XL
Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T-Shirt - White XL
Offered by SubWorksLtd

2.0 out of 5 stars They shrank!, 11 Aug. 2013
I bought a number of these, size XL, and washed them. They shrank!

The Periodic Table: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
The Periodic Table: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Eric R. Scerri

5.0 out of 5 stars The Periodic Table: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions), 11 Aug. 2013
I'm an enthusiast of the OUP Very Short Introductions. I'm a greater enthusiast of buying them on Amazon where the variable discount can be as high as 40%.

In general VSIs offer a useful but scarcely trivial introduction to a topic. Don't think that you get the Noddy Guide to <<choose your topic>>; thinking and understanding are also required. On the other hand you are not going to pass even a GCSE on the strength of these alone.

If you want more there is usually a very good reference list for further reading.

VSI The Periodic Table is heavily focussed and very informative on the history and development of Mendeleev's work. For a fuller understanding it should be read with VSI The Elements which, in my opinion, seems to satisfy the criterion of "companion volume".

The Elements: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
The Elements: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Philip Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Very Good Very Short Introduction (OUP VSI), 11 Aug. 2013

VSI The Elements is an interesting introduction to a number of elements and their nature with particular reference to their position in the Periodic Table, In this it form a useful companion to VSI The Periodic Table, which is more focussed on its history and development.

Logitech C270 HD Webcam - Black
Logitech C270 HD Webcam - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Best webcam I've ever owned, 11 Aug. 2013
Mostly I've worked with a MacBook Pro with its built-in iSight camera (or whatever it's now called) and this has been very satisfactory. In addition I now have a Mac Mini to which I have attached a Dell 27" U2713HM; not as pretty as an Apple Cinema Display but less than half the price! Sadly (madly, badly) it doesn't have an inbuilt webcam.

So this Logitech device is a brilliant addition!

The image is sharp and clear and it even supports video capture to a very high standard. Importantly it also has a microphone that delivers crystal clear voice content to my counterparty at the other end of a comms link, or in a recording clip for inclusion in a document.

Ah, but then there's the price.

It's £17!

I can't get a decent curry for £17.

Unfortunately for Logitech sales I can't see any reason for buying one of their more expensive models.

Is there a downside?

Yes, the webcam doesn't have a clamp. It sits comfortably and firmly on the top of my screen but is not clamped to it. This, of course, only matters when I turn the screen upside down but others may feel this is a defect. (Someone, elsewhere, has recommended the use of BlueTak. I endorse the recommendation.)

Logitech Z110 Stereo Speakers
Logitech Z110 Stereo Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value speakers, 12 Mar. 2012
My ability to make a sensible judgement on any wine costing more than £30 bottle is very limited, so no point in my buying Chateau Petrus at £1,000 plus per bottle.

That's true, too, for my ability to appreciate high quality sound so little point in going for multi-£000 stereo system. That would be a waste.

In fact I have usually been satisfied with the output of the in-built speakers on my MacBook Pro, which are rated quite highly . However, I wondered if external speakers might make a difference and, at less than £10 including delivery, I felt I could afford to experiment with these.

Good call.

In comparison with the in-built speakers they:

* added depth, richness and crispness
* created a more clearly defined stereo effect
* added substantially greater volume (great for heavy metal but not for the neighbours)
* improved the discrimination I was able to perceive in classical pieces.

I am altogether pleased with the results of the experiment. For anyone with a refined accoustic capability these may not be satisfactory; I couldn't possibly comment. But for anyone with normal hearing they will prove a vast improvement on in-built speakers.

BTW I noticed a comment asking about size. The speakers are identical and are both 9 cm high by 10 cm wide.