Profile for I. D. Brown > Reviews

Content by I. D. Brown

I. D. Brown "ianbrown24" (Southampton, UK)

Fujifilm X100S Digital Camera - Silver (16.3 MP, APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II with EXR Processor II) 2.8 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylishly retro with a killer performance, 3 Feb. 2014
This camera takes you back to an earlier period in terms of its look and feel. I tend to shoot in aperture priority mode most of the time but can attest that the camera works perfectly in program mode (camera decides shutter speed and aperture), shutter mode and manual mode. In camera JPEG's are of amazing quality and are definitely OK for most uses although RAW shooting mode is available too. Fine JPEG's run in at about 5 MB whereas RAW capture is 30 MB plus. OK, it's a fixed focal length prime lens but this forces you to think about composition and getting into the right place to shoot from and the quality of the lens is awesome. Probably the best travel and street photographer's camera in the world at the moment. I agree with another reviewer that it is easy to inadvertently turn the camera and drain battery life (always have a spare to hand). Also, it is equally easy to inadvertently turn the exposure compensation dial, so I check regularly for this. No real complaints though, it's a wonderful camera.

The Complete Blind Willie Johnson
The Complete Blind Willie Johnson
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid, be very afraid..., 25 Jun. 2007
As a guitar player I was aware of Blind Willie Johnson before. But, I don't play slide guitar (or at least I didn't), so he was never a major influence. After attending a couple of workshops with the great Martin Simpson on whom Blind Willie Johnson has been a huge influence in terms of his slide guitar work, I took the plunge and bought this compilation. For some, his rough, gravely false bass booming voice might prove intially to be a little unapproachable. The material too is completely uncompromising. Willie Johnson was a gospel singer, probably the finest the world has ever seen or heard. But this is raw, unadulterated gospel music from the deep south. There are no frills just simple songs delivered with raw passion, involvement and commitment backed up by some of the scariest slide guitar playing you're ever likely to hear. Bear in mind that Blind Willie was probably playing this stuff on a pretty cheap and nasty guitar and some have been quoted as saying that he used a knife for a slide ! No pre-war style 45 Martin for this guy, he simply would not have had the money for a fancy guitar. But for Willie Johnson there would be no Ry Cooder as we know him, just to cite one example.

If you're a slide guitar pplayer and haven't heard this guy then frankly, I'm surprised. It it is the case though prepare yourself for a very scary experience.

After posting this, I'll be re-tuning and reaching for that slide...

Nikon D70S Digital SLR Camera includes AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkon 18-70mm Lens  [6MP, 3x Optical Zoom]
Nikon D70S Digital SLR Camera includes AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkon 18-70mm Lens [6MP, 3x Optical Zoom]

5.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over..., 13 Jun. 2005
The D70s simply rocks! After delaying moving into the digital SLR arena for some years because decent DSLR's were far too expensive, Nikon have at last come up with a winner. The D70s kit, which includes a nice piece of Nikon glass, offers superb value as well as outstanding performance. If you are new to digital SLR's the responsiveness of this camera will simply blow you away. This baby is fast, OK not as fast as some pro-level SLR's but she won't set you back over 2K (body only) either. If you don't believe me navigate to [...] Ken is a pro photographer who actually owns and uses a D70 (the previous version). He reckons its the best sub $4K digital SLR bar none !
I plan to augment my system with a Nikkor 12-24 mm for those wide angle shots that I love and maybe a longer focal length zoom for long telephoto shots at some point in the future. I am now an extremely happy snapper.

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
by Ben Hogan

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for every golfer !, 22 April 2004
This book is a must-read for every golfer out there. Hogan is consideredon of the finest ball strikers of all time, if not THE finest. A totalperfectionist who spent his entire golfing career pursuing excellence andrefining his golf swing. This well-written book distills that knowledgeand experience and presents it with almost unparalleled clarity. Within afew days of reading this book, I was able to identify a couple of realflaws in my golf swing, which, interestingly and rather worryingly, hadnot been pointed out to me by a PGA teaching pro. I immediately set towork on rectifying them and within a week started to experience what itreally feels like to strike a golf ball correctly. Granted, I have a wayto go yet, the journey to a perfect golf swing never ends; however, I doreally feel that playing much better golf is a serious possibility ratherthan a distant, unattainable desire. To get the most out of this book youneed to get real. Stop kidding yourself that you've got a great swing,look long, hard and critically at your golf swing and be prepared to dosome serious work on it. When you've done that, keep doing it. I agreewith another reviewer that Jim McClean's DVD of Hogan's swing greatlycompletements this little gem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2012 11:35 AM BST