Profile for Rednefertiti > Reviews

Content by Rednefertiti

Rednefertiti (Suffolk, England)

Nushine Silver Maintenance Solution 50ml - contains pure silver (ideal for worn silver)
Offered by Eco-formula

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, 2 May 2014
I've tried this on a couple of items that I wanted to silver plate - a pair of earrings, which it didn't work on at all, and a ring. The earrings, fair enough, had never been coated in silver, so I was dubious that it would work well - it didn't work at all. But the ring was already plated silver, and had just rubbed off a little in one very small area (less than 1cm) - but the silver solution disappointingly only covered a tiny bit of it. A waste of time and money in my experience, unfortunately.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 9:20 PM BST

Al'Fez Ras El Hanout Spice Mix (42g)
Al'Fez Ras El Hanout Spice Mix (42g)
Offered by Cotswold Valley Fine Foods

2.0 out of 5 stars Lavender far too strong, 2 May 2014
Having made some delicious meals with Ras el hanout previously, I was looking forward to that familiar scent again to get the tastebuds flowing. As soon as I opened the packet, the air filled with a very strong scent of lavender - great if you want a room freshener, but personally I don't want too strong a taste of it. I haven't actually used it yet, as the smell is so off-putting. I found an authentic North African shop locally instead that does a really good Ras el hanout spice, and is much better value, and is minus the overpowering lavender. Sorry, won't be buying this version again.

That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
by Anne Sebba

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 16 Jan 2013
Wallis Simpson is an intriguing character, so much has been written on her, yet the real Wallis has remained a mystery...until now. Media representation, some of which was no doubt deserved, and some possibly not (Edward escaped much of the criticism that perhaps he deserved), has meant that the public view of "That Woman" has largely been negative. Anne Sebba's detailed account, however, manages to delve deeper into what was a very complex personality, and a unique situation. At the end of it, I felt that I understood Wallis, her life and the lives of those around her so much better. A thoroughly recommended read.

Vampire
Vampire
by K. M. Ashman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Vampire (Paperback)
I so wanted to enjoy this book; I'm not a fan of the run-of-the-mill modern vampire offerings currently available, but the storyline for Ashman's book sounded really original, plus I am an avid fan of all things ancient Egyptian, and to have it mixed up with the supernatural (another favourite of mine) meant that I was anticipating a brilliant read. And the storyline is indeed great, I love the whole idea of egyptology with its hidden tombs and vampirism with a twist thrown in. The major, huge flaw is the writing, which in my opinion is contrived, cliched and lazily written. So many scenarios could have been lifted with creating atmosphere and setting the scene, but the opportunities were missed and there were too many "he said, she said" areas, and basic description, giving the impression that Ashman just wanted to get the thing written and out of the way. Which is a shame, because had it excited me more I would have probably wanted to hear more from this author. Maybe his other books are much better, but sadly I can't be bothered to find out...

Dark Matter
Dark Matter
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dark Matter (Paperback)
A thoroughly enjoyable, evocative read, Michelle Paver delivers a real chill up the spine with this eerie and compelling story. Thoroughly recommended on a cold, cold night!

The Book of Eli [DVD]
The Book of Eli [DVD]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, pointless, sleep-inducing drivel, 23 July 2010
This review is from: The Book of Eli [DVD] (DVD)
I chose to watch this film expecting good old-fashioned action and entertainment. Unfortunately, this film proved to have none of this. The main problems were that the film was shot with a real lack of colour, (probably meant to add atmosphere, but just made it look lifeless), the main character and acting lacked any interest (which was strange for Denzel Washington, as he's normally great - maybe he was as bored as I was?), and the story kind of just trickled along without any real "oomph". Shame, really, because I just wanted a bit of entertainment, this just didn't deliver....

DVD Fireplace
DVD Fireplace

4.0 out of 5 stars An open fire without the hassle!, 19 Jan 2009
This review is from: DVD Fireplace (DVD)
When I first heard about this, I thought it was just so incredibly "naff" there would be no chance of me ever purchasing such an item! However, partly because it was very, very inexpensive and partly because of the reviews I had read, I did buy it. And am actually really, really pleased with it. It works best on my flatscreen 15" tv in the bedroom and provides a real feeling of comfort. Good quality picture, you really feel that you have the real thing! Avoid at all costs the music option, though - truly awful. Choose the real fire sounds and just relax. Without the mess and hassle!

Drakan: The Ancient's Gates (PS2)
Drakan: The Ancient's Gates (PS2)
Offered by funfair games

5.0 out of 5 stars Drakan - What a Game!, 14 May 2003
I was a little wary of buying this game, I must admit - flying on a dragon sounds, well, a little twee, BUT how wrong I was! The first thing that struck me about this game was the attention to detail in the scenery - it's really beautiful, and diverse enough in the different worlds to capture attention for quite a while,(the only gripe I possibly have about this is that perhaps there could have been a little more detail UNDER the water, but there again it was not crucial to the story!) The heroine, Rynn, is great - not too butch and not saccharine sweet! Some fave points about this were:
Choosing from a wide range of awe-inspiring weapons
Casting handy spells
Fighting the terryfying and hideous "Flesh Mage
Flying on a dragon (of course)
All in all, a hugely entertaining and enjoyable game!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 3:41 PM GMT

Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat
Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat

4.0 out of 5 stars Pirates - love it!, 11 Mar 2003
I quite simply love this game, and so do my kids. It's good to look at, the colour is delicious, the sound is great, the game exciting & having challenge without being impossibly difficult. Best bits? Attacking crabs and hearing a fab "crunch", blasting and ramming other boats with my ship, Kat saying "aaarrrr, grog!" in a delightful piratey way, the "thwack" as I expertly despatch skeletons/baddies/monsters/ghosties etc. This game has such an air of innocence about it which is refreshing.It's neither gory or scary, but that's perhaps its biggest asset. One of my fave games.