Profile for Emma > Reviews

I'm Not Scared
I'm Not Scared
by Niccolo Ammaniti

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant suprise, 13 Jan. 2008
This review is from: I'm Not Scared (Paperback)
I stumbled upon this book in my mother's book collection. I needed something easy and quick to read before continuing with another book I was strugling though! This book is fantastic. The narrative technique is very well constructed. The story is told through the eyes of a young boy being young, care-free and trying to grow up faster than he should! The description of the stifling summer's heat wave coupled with the shocking, sickening discovery of the boy in the hole is so concise the reader feels claustrophobic and tense this is expertly juxtaposed by the protagonist's childlike interpretation of his discovery. This little gem of a book is definately worth the day it will take you to read.

The Unconsoled
The Unconsoled
by Kazuo Ishiguro

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle and Beautiful, 13 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Unconsoled (Paperback)
The Unconsoled is another example of Isiguro's subtle and engaging style of writing. Aptly named, this novel left me wanting more answers but at the same time feeling strangely satisfied that Ishiguro had acheived his goal of entirely loosing his reader in a series of memories, inconsistencies intermingled with reality. I can understand why some can be frustrated and even bored of this seemingly eventless story, however, for those who persevere I think this is a wholly rewarding and touching novel. For those who enjoyed the maddening intricacies of The Remains of the Day, you will find this book thouroughly rewarding as it is another perfectly constructed, beautifully written story.

The Abortionist's Daughter
The Abortionist's Daughter
by Elisabeth Hyde

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!!, 20 Mar. 2007
I had really looked forward to reading this book. It had been hyped up and recommeded by Richard and Judy as being original and different. From the first page I found the author's style of writing cheap and trashy with many gramatical errors. The only character who was remotely human and interesting was killed instantly leaving us only with cliched, stereotypical and uninteresting charaters who did not develop as the story unfolded. I also found this story entirely predictable. The romance was again cliched and distasteful. It is a shame as the hype and the title suggested this would be a good read but personally I wouldn't waste the 2 days it took me to read.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 31 Oct. 2006
Being an avid reader people always ask me which books they should read-The Time Traveler's Wife is one I suggest without even having to think about. A fantastic novel that seems to spread through word of mouth rather than media hype. It is difficult to get your head around at times however Niffenegger manages to master the technique of anticipation in a way I have never seen before. Throughout the novel the reader is aware already what will happen in the future, however needs to keep reading in case another wonderful twist or anecdote is discovered.

I will agree with others, in the middle it does get a little slow, however it is entirely worth it.

I can whole-heartedly reccommend if you are in a reading rutt, picking one over-hyped book after another and being disappointed, I would be suprised if this book doesn't pick you up, shake you by the ankles and leave you wishing you had never finished it! I'm truly jealous I cannot get the first time experince of reading it back! Enjoy!

Wedding Ring
Wedding Ring
by Emilie Richards

1.0 out of 5 stars ...It's not a suprise..., 31 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Wedding Ring (Paperback)
Well, as the title suggests it is not a suprise that no-one has reviewed this text. I was genuinely disappointed by this novel. I am not the type of person who reads a book only to tear it apart, I take a book for what it is. However, The Wedding Ring is dull and uneventful-and when something does happen it is predictable and cliched. This novel is poorly written, (attempted feel-good factor) and dull. I will never put a book down halfway, and The Wedding Ring did keep me thinking that something exciting or unusual may happen to redeem it, but I'm afraid, as much as I wanted it to, this did not happen. Give it a miss-there are far too many excellent books to read!

The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break
The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break
by Steven Sherrill

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 31 Oct. 2006
I am not going to write a lengthy review as it would not be a reflection on the text itself. The Minotour: Simple, quirky, endearing and wonderful.

Read this book, it will be a shame to miss it!

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

5.0 out of 5 stars And I'm not easy to please either!!, 31 Oct. 2006
Well I have to say, having chosen my usual 3 books to take on holiday with me this year I was not remotely prepared for the roller-coaster of emotions I was about to encounter with We Need To Talk About Kevin. Reading the back I obviously knew the direction the novel would follow but I was not prepared for Shriver's unique and matter of fact style of writing. Initially I found her apparently reply-less letter writing, in such seemingly needless detail, irritating and unnecessary but after about 50 pages I was hooked. I have never read such an honest and un-heroic portrayal of postnatal depression or paranioa-or was it?? That is the beauty, I have read the book over and over and am still not sure-was it Kevin or her, nature or nurture. I cannot empasise enough the impact this novel has had on me. Other modern day tragedies pale in comparrison. I can't wait to read more of this author!