Profile for Anne Redmon > Reviews

Why Don't Psychotherapists Laugh?: Enjoyment and the Consulting Room
Why Don't Psychotherapists Laugh?: Enjoyment and the Consulting Room
by Ann Shearer

5.0 out of 5 stars It is wonderfully well-written and original, 13 July 2016
Anyone who has suffered from depressive illness knows how isolating and frightening it can be. The inner prison has strong walls and fierce guards against any light reaching the bleak interior. Ann Shearer's masterful book explores how powerfully humour can act to prise the dungeon open and give fresh meaning to the experience of suffering. We laugh because we are human and laughter is essentially a shared experience. Those who might challenge her findings may not fully understand how dehumanising mental illness is. Oh, what a breath of air this admirable book is! It is not exactly a light read - nor should it be - but she makes theory accessible. It is wonderfully well-written and original. It does make me wonder at a therapeutic bond without laughter, even if only at the shared 'Aha!' It is almost as if the cold theorists are actually frightened of their own shadows if they are not prepared to encourage that sense of perspective that true humour fundamentally represents.

Eye Mask / Sleep Mask - Sleeping Masks for Men & Women * MONEY BACK GUARANTEE * Buy 3 & Get Free UK Delivery Better than Silk - Our Bedtime Bliss Luxury Patented Contoured & Comfortable Sleep Mask & Ear Plug Set is the Best Blackout Eyemask it will Block Light but Wont Touch your eyes like other Eyemasks - Carry Pouch and Ear Plugs Included for FREE
Offered by Natural Revolution Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mask, 4 Mar. 2016
The sleep mask is a good one but I am hypersensitive to light and found that it did not entirely block it out. It is lightweight, though, and does not press on the eyes, which is a good thing if you are wearing eye make-up and are having a nap!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2016 3:50 AM BST

BXT Stretchy Plain Satin Bridal Party Fancy Wedding Prom Finger Gloves For Ladies Women Dress Accessory - White
Offered by BXT-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 4 Mar. 2016
I wished that I could have had the long, white kid gloves I owned many years ago but bought these out of desperation for a grand ball. I was surprised at how luxurious they looked and they cost very little all things considered. I have stowed them safely away in case another such occasion arises.

BMC Black Beaded Sequin Design Metal Frame Kissing Lock Clasp Satin Interior Evening Clutch - Exuding Eloquences Collection
Offered by Bundle Monster

5.0 out of 5 stars small enough to look smart and with a convenient chain attachment, 4 Mar. 2016
At last an evening bag that is big enough to hold more than a few credit cards, small enough to look smart and with a convenient chain attachment! I wore it to a charity ball and it looked terrific!

The Brothers Karamazov (Modern Library)
The Brothers Karamazov (Modern Library)
by F.M. Dostoevsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary majesty, 13 Mar. 2015
This is not really a book, it is a launch into the universe. I have read it several times and each time it seems a completely new story. A proper study of The Brothers Karamazov could be a lifetime's dedication. I am a novelist myself and have taught Creative Writing extensively.The depth of Dostoyevsky's exploration of character could not be plumbed by many, least of all by myself, but it has made me happy just to realise that someone could do it and because it is there it is possible. When I finished the Kindle version on this reading I actually bought the hard copy here under discussion so that I could read it again and make better notes. It is Constance Garnett's translation that has given me the book back after I have read several others. A Russian friend of mine recommended it, this after I had been told it was not the most accurate. It is accurate in the sense that it conveys to the English-speaking reader what the writer intended (I know some Russian). I know I am writing awful superlatives but it was an experience to read this, not a pastime. If I have one criticism of this edition it is that a better and fuller introduction could be added to the translator's own sketchy one, and something scholarly would be a help,

Moorish Tiles Cushion Front Tapestry Kit - Tapestry Kit
Moorish Tiles Cushion Front Tapestry Kit - Tapestry Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars The design is lovely and I like the texture, 24 Aug. 2014
I have only just started the tapestry but am going on holiday soon and really look forward to it. The design is lovely and I like the texture, which is unusually thick for a tent stitch project. It may be a bit of a challenge but I am going to enjoy that.

Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
by Saint Therese

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive translation of a spiritual classic, 26 May 2014
I became a Catholic over forty years ago and the priest who received me into the Church rather put me off St Therese of Lisieux saying that he thought her a bit sentimental. When Ronald Knox's translation fell into my hands I read St Therese's Autobiography for the first time and could not imagine what he had been talking about. This is the rock solid account of a spiritual titan and, though she may reflect the time when she lived and the context in which she was raised, there is nothing sentimental about her. I read the book so often that it fell into rags, so I bought a Kindle version, finding that this did indeed seem mawkish. I believe it was the edited, bowdlerised version put out soon after her death and it did her no favours. Mgr Knox used the original text and his sensitive understanding both of language and of the saint produced a kind of illuminated manuscript. She jumps out alive from every page. It is a real joy, as she is!

Blue Guide Rome (Blue Guides)
Blue Guide Rome (Blue Guides)
by Alta Macadam

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly and readable: an indispensable guide to Rome, 26 May 2014
We bought the Blue Guide to Rome for our second visit to the city in six months: this was because the Michelin Guide we had used before gave us only cursory information on the sites we had visited then. Rome was not, of course, built in a day and any of its major treasures certainly take at least half a day to see adequately. The Blue Guide is scholarly and perhaps too heavy-weight for quick tourism but if you have been bitten by the Roman bug and really want to delve then this is for you. It is written in clear language and the index makes it easy for you to dive in at any level you want. Now I have come home I want to pick it up again and pore over it, revisiting in my mind the places that we saw. We were particularly interested in San Clemente. My husband visited it alone in December because I had a tummy bug at the time and he had only the Michelin for company. This time we went together and spent an entire morning there with the Blue Guide taking us all the way from the Temple of Mithras on the lowest level right up to the stunning mosaics in the church itself. We could hardly tear ourselves away.

600 Weekday Mass Readings - eReader Edition
600 Weekday Mass Readings - eReader Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally, a Godsend, 3 April 2014
I have been looking for a Kindle edition of the lectionary for some time because I travel a lot and my missal is heavy and cumbersome. 600 Weekday Mass Readings has gone beyond my expectations. The font is lovely and the text is clear and well designed. If I miss a few readings I find it very easy to catch up because the index is very clear too. I have travelled with it but I also find it easy to take on the bus or to read it in bed without disturbing my husband. I have found a few misprints but this is a small matter next to the excellence and convenience of this superb book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2014 10:57 PM BST

Brabantia Silent Pedal Bin with Plastic Inner Bucket 30 L - White
Brabantia Silent Pedal Bin with Plastic Inner Bucket 30 L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful, 20 Feb. 2014
I never thought I would rave about a pedal bin but this has been a great addition to our kitchen. It is so well designed in every way that it fits that famous criterion of William Morris: that things should be both beautiful and useful. I have a bad back and the bin has made it far easier for me to get rid of the waste I generate as a keen cook. The inner bags are so efficient that they keep the bin clean and it does not need to be emptied so often either. I could not have afforded it, though, unless I had been given a generous Amazon voucher by my sister in law. She was horrified when I told her I spent it on a bin but she recovered completely when I showed her the picture.

Page: 1 | 2