Profile for A. Moore > Reviews

The Idiots Are Winning
The Idiots Are Winning
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Holden - Genius or Pretentious, 13 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Idiots Are Winning (Audio CD)
If you've only heard of James Holden because your mate said he was' pretty damn cool' then don't buy this album. this is along way from middle of the road electronic music. In fact its quite far from any sort of music.

Minimal house is a hugely popular genre in dance music at the moment but James Holden continues to have a very distinctive sound. The instantly recognisable plastic synths and dusty drums, which appear frequently in `Drowning in a Sea of Remixes' are apparent in a couple of the tracks. That said, I don't think there's any track on there with the big room appeal of the Holden remix of `The Sky Was Pink' by Nathan Fake, but don't take that as criticism. I'm sure the `dubbier', more subdued structure is intentional

To the slightly older Holden fan:

You'll be disappointed if you want to hear more of the `Holden and Thompson - Come to Me' or 'Horizons' sounds on here, there's not a lot of that. 'The idiots are winning' is much closer to James's Nathan Fake remixing era. But to be honest there isn't really a lot of that either.

The track that is much commented on below is 'intentionally left blank'. which is about one and a bit minutes of complete silence. I really hope this was done as a joke and not for artistic reasons because electronic music has been devoid of that sort of pretentiousness for a quite a while now and I don't particularly want that sort of thing to re-emerge.

In conclusion, I give this album three out of five because there are 2 or 3 decent tracks on there and I'm not a devout minimal fan. I think proper minimal fans could well appreciate more of it than I did. There has been some criticism of there not being enough stand out tracks and too much filler. But personally this is exactly what I expected to hear when I bought it so I'm still very much a Holden Fan. Even if he has gone a little bit turner prize on this occasion.

Drowning in a Sea of Love
Drowning in a Sea of Love
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Norfolk never sounded so good, 17 May 2006
I was eagerly awaiting the release of this album, and it proved even better than my expectations.

Right now James Holden's Border Community label can do no wrong and this album has only strengthened that reputation.

Its refreshing to hear an electronica album written around melodies and soundscapes rather than technology and complex sampling.

Surprisingly it also transfers seemlessly to the dancefloor, definatley worth buying and hearing live if you can.