Profile for Mike R > Reviews

Mike R

Andrea NC-181VM USB Headset - Headsets for Gaming and Skype
Andrea NC-181VM USB Headset - Headsets for Gaming and Skype

4.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Naturally Speaking, 8 Oct. 2012
Rather than the Gaming and/or Skype that the product title might suggest, I purchased the headset to use with Dragon Naturally Speaking. I had been using the headset supplied by Nuance but it was never a particularly good and recently finally gave up the ghost.

In buying the Andrea Headset, I was hoping for a significant improvement in the accuracy of the dictation and it has achieved more than I expected. Although it produces much better accuracy in a quiet environment, it is in the normally noisy environment that it excels. The percentage accuracy has gone from perhaps low 70s to high 90s. Quite often I find that the only accuracy has in fact been caused by my poor diction. One minor point - somewhat tongue in cheek - remember to turn off the microphone! It is not unknown to turn back to your screen and find that your last conversation has been quite well transcribed even though you have taken off the headset!

I had not realised quite how uncomfortable the previous headset was until I tried this one, which is just so much better.

All in all, a very good product for how I was intending to use it.

iStorage IS-DG-256-250 250GB DiskG USB 2.0 256-Bit 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive
iStorage IS-DG-256-250 250GB DiskG USB 2.0 256-Bit 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive
Offered by Ballicom International

4.0 out of 5 stars iStorage DiskGennie Encrypted Hard Drive, 5 Sept. 2011
The item arrived, in a shorter time than forecast, and was extremely easy to set up and is very easy to use. As with so many really good ideas, the concept is so simple that one wonders why no one else has come up with it. My only negative comments are that the device is on the large side and that the intgral USB cable is too short to use with most PCs. When used with a laptop it sits alongside and is fine but to use with a PC the cable, which is only about 4" long, will not reach the USB socket with the disk sitting somewhere useful and therefore an extension cable must be used (there is a Y-connector supplied). Also, and I suspect that this is a Windows 7 problem that is nothing to do with the device, getting Windows to disconnect the device is not always as easy as with normal USB storage devices. Sometimes it works but sometimes Windows just refuses, constantly insisting that the device cannot be unloaded as it is still in use. To be absolutley sure that there will be no problems of corruption etc, I tend to leave it connected until I log off or shut down. This is no more than a minor irritation.

All in all, a very useful device that appears to do exactly what it claims at a reasonable price (which will, no doubt, decrease over time).