Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Do Design: Why Beauty is Key to Everything (Do Books)
Do Design: Why Beauty is Key to Everything (Do Books)
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars A labour of love, 10 May 2016
I've known Alan a long time and have had many conversations with him as he wrote this book. It really is a labour of love, and he's inviting all of us to see what happens if we bring that attitude to our life's work.

But this is not some self-help guide full of instructions. Rather, it's a series of surprising and engaging stories. I'm amazed at how widely Alan roams to support his ideas. From the inventor of Aikido to an astronaut to the guy who made the computer mouse. I think he demonstrates that design, and the search for beauty are both ordinary and extraordinary at the same time.

Heartily recommended.

Prowell Sharkfin LED Helmet Light (Red and Black)
Prowell Sharkfin LED Helmet Light (Red and Black)
Offered by Prowell Helmets UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the money, 9 Nov. 2013
I've had the Topeak helmet light for a year, but it's such a nuisance to attatch to detach that I stopped using it

This is much simpler to take on and off. It's not my main rear light, obviously, but for a fiver I think it just gives you that extra visibility to drivers.

Cateye Nano Shot Plus -
Cateye Nano Shot Plus -

4.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful light, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot Plus - (Sports)
I'm a city cycle rider, so the main need for my bike lights to to be seen, so I used to think a moderate power front light was fine.

Now I've upgraded to this I wouldn't go back to a smaller light. It's great for more poorly lit roads and really increases visibility, not just for cars but for wandering pedestrians. Be careful how you fit it, it's actually blinding to oncoming cyclists if you don't tip the beam right.

The Cateye bracket is a really good design, very easy to fit and adjust. The only slight gripe is the light is a very tight fit in the bracket, you almost have to wrestle it out!

iPad 3 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Aluminium Stand, Case & Cover - Black / silver by KING OF FLASH (TM)
Offered by KING OF FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 21 Oct. 2012
I looked at many alternative keyboards before going for this one. I was motivated by the price, since I wasn't really sure how much use I would find for it.

I've been quite surprised by the number of admiring glances and conversations it has provoked. It's very functional and allows me to use the iPad in situations where I'd otherwise be missing my Mac Air.

I'd give it 5 stars but for two fairly minor niggles. When you use the keyboard as a case, it snaps pretty tight and can be a faff to open. And I wish it's automatic shut down wasn't quite so keen to save power... it can be a hassle if you pause for a short time and then have to wait for the keyboard to wake up again.

But well worth the bargain price in my view.

You Don't Need a Job (The Rise of the Network Book 1)
You Don't Need a Job (The Rise of the Network Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Succinct, inspiring, well informed, 21 Oct. 2012
I've known Rob for many years, and watched his thinking evolve. This ebook is a fantastic distillation of all that thought and experience. He vividly contrasts the world of the machine, the rigid organisation, with the emerging world of the network. In the machine world, we need to be one of the cogs with a job; that need changes if we organise on the principle of the network. Rob has been part of the establishment, as a public school, Oxford-educated former investment banker. So when he offers a vision beyond convention, it has a particular resonance.

$3 very well spent.

No Straight Lines
No Straight Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative and well illustrated, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: No Straight Lines (Kindle Edition)
It's clear that Alan Moore has poured his heart and soul into this book, which manages to combine his considerable passion with a pretty astonishing collection of stories and examples from around the world. As well as being thought provoking, it has a strong moral backbone that you can like or dislike but can't ignore. It is, in part, a polemic but you don't have to agree with the author to find his ideas and examples engaging and generative.

The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals
by Wendy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 23 Mar. 2012
I've thoroughly enjoyed this book. There is something delightfully quirky about the writing style. The characters manage to be eccentric, yet in a very believeable and human way.

59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot
59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content, shame about the format, 25 Aug. 2011
Loved the content of this book, so many entertaining nuggets about how unexpected small things affect how we experience the world.

But whoever did the Kindle edition was bone idle - no table of contents.

That's a small thing that makes a big difference. And not in a good way.

Einstein's Dreams
Einstein's Dreams
by A. Lightman

5.0 out of 5 stars Succinct, mind bending, and mind expanding, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Einstein's Dreams (Paperback)
This is the strangest book I've read in a while, and I was startled by its impact on me. By dropping into these dreams of different ideas of time, I felt the world was richer and more full of possibliity. Instead of sending staff on fancy creativity training, I'd buy them all a copy of this book and start a discussion about reality!

Bounce: How Champions are Made
Bounce: How Champions are Made
by Matthew Syed

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and thought provoking, 19 July 2010
I hardly ever read non-fiction books cover-to-cover but I did this one in less than a day. It's well written and quite thought provoking. The gist is that outstanding success in sports owes far more to persistent practice than we imagine. One of the key out-takes for me was that the nature of the practice is very important; it's not just endlessly playing the sport, but focussing on activities that take the player to his learning edge.

I liked the line about a champion ice-dancer whose training meant endless attempts at the most difficult jumps; she got to be the best by falling on her behind umpteen thousand times.

I've not read Gladwell's Outliers and I understand some people have said this book repeats that material - obviously not an issue for me.

One or two of the later chapters, eg on drugs and sport, did feel like standalone essays that didn't fit the main theme of the book, not that that matters that much.

There's a temptation to try to map the insights from sporting performance to the wider world and I'm cautious about that. Occasionally Syed appears to go down this path and it's up to the reader to make his own mind up about that.

Page: 1 | 2