Profile for GS > Reviews

Content by GS

GS

Childrens Books: Adventures In Luniper Land The Fairies Halloween Party (Illustrated)
Price: 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars For healthier kids just add fairy dust..., 30 Oct 2013
The author of Adventures In Luniper Land has combined an exciting and successful career as a physical trainer ( I just found out) with a passion for creativity which, fortunately for those of you with kids (and me, an uncle in search of gifts this Christmas) has lead to the creation of a series of extraordinary fairy stories. I think they come at a very opportune moment, considering the fuss that's been made about child obesity (if you don't believe me, just ask Jamie Oliver), the need to play outdoors (and put down those darned electronic thingamajigs!) and instil -- nice and early -- the idea of a healthy diet. I suppose, just like writing and reading, encouraging kids to hone the skill of 'wellness' is a vital component for a fulfilling life... and the author has done a good thing by leading the field. Adventures in Luniper Land is lovingly illustrated by the author in what I believe is referred to as a 'naive style' and here I think it works exceptionally well. I'm so glad -- and happy for the kids who visit Luniper -- that the characters and parts of this imaginary world have been rendered by Miss Wyndham-Read. After all, I can't think of anyone else who'd have brought her world to life so well -- but many who might have wanted to give it a go. I'm glad also that no compromise has been made to the story itself -- I mean, it's not like the author has cut corners on style in order to carry the underlying message of living healthily. The opposite is true. I sincerely believe kids will thoroughly enjoy the stories and that these stories will carry them -- like fairy wings, if that's not too shameless a metaphor -- to higher places: dreamy worlds filled with fairy dust and England's very own great outdoors just waiting for kids so long abated by the lure of electronic games. Let their imaginations soar and their legs ache a bit this Christmas.