ARRAY(0xabf2b3cc)

Profile for Simon Brenchley > Reviews

Content by Simon Brenchley

Simon Brenchley (Basingstoke, UK)

Monsters University [DVD]
Monsters University [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Goodman
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 9.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing Adult appeal, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monsters University [DVD] (DVD)
As an adult fan of most things of the Pixar, Disney, Aardman style, and having enjoyed the original Monsters film, I was very disappointed by this Prequel. It is very drab, with no excitement and a very lame (literally "limping along") plot. I'm sure youngsters will like it as any other cartoon, but it is no where near as good as the original, and the likes of Up and Wall-e are on a different level entirely.

Give You The Ghost
Give You The Ghost
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 7.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely different, good quality recording, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Give You The Ghost (Audio CD)
Decided to buy this based on other Amazon reviews (from people who had purchased similar CDs to myself). This CD is very different to a lot of the similar genres and has a full, detailed and rich sound. There are many subtleties and it makes for great listening. The only downside is the repetitiveness of the sampled singing; it's great at first but begins to grate by the end.

Certainly a few stand-out tracks that would be good on your iPod in Shuffle mode!

Less Is More
Less Is More
Price: 9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful Music, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Less Is More (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for about 2 months now, and I know it's a cliche, but I really cannot stop playing it. The musicality and quality of production are as good as I've heard. I'm a big Marillion fan (got all their LPs and CDs) and am not fussy about which era. These tracks really show off the talent and musicianship of the band; it has a raw and natural sound to it, but the whole album simply gels. The only enhancement is a good quality system, bottle of wine, turn the lights off and play loud! Musin really doesn't get much better IMHO, and if you've not come across Marillion before, you shouldn't be put off buying this. Stunningly Beautiful Music....

Amarok [HDCD]
Amarok [HDCD]
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.05

5.0 out of 5 stars The most dynamic piece of music ever?, 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: Amarok [HDCD] (Audio CD)
I purchased all the re-released remastered (HDCD) copies of Mike Oldfield's albums and, as an audiophile, was very impressed with their improved quality (which isn't always the case for re-mastered products). There are loads of reviews here about the content of this album, but for me this is the most complete and engaging piece of work Mike has produced. You have to listen all the way through and the way the melodies/sound affects build and inter-twine is truely amazing. I have not come across a single CD that can give me or my system such an aural work-out! At times the music will literally make you jump (assuming you're playing it at a decent level), and at the end you feel quite exhausted. This is certainly the best-quality, musical and dynamic CD I possess, and for that alone this deserves 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2009 10:26 AM GMT

In Rainbows
In Rainbows
Price: 13.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonically impeccable, 21 Feb 2008
This review is from: In Rainbows (Audio CD)
Just thought I'd let you know that this is one of the best produced digital products I have ever heard! As an audiophile with very hard-to-please music needs, this CD is so crisp, sharp and detailed that I'm sure it will become a reference for the most discerning listener. You can hear all the detail (who said there are no guitars!), deep base, and feel the emotion in the vocals. I'm not a die-hard Radiohead fan (and wouldn't rate the music itself as 5-stars), but I wish their production techniques could be applied to a lot of the other dross that continues to get churned out. This is easily on a par with other so-called reference or 24-bit recordings.

The CD audio-quality bar has been raised; well done lads!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2008 9:32 AM GMT

Sawdust
Sawdust
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
It's easy to get carried away on the Killers Wave, but this album is not great (or a patch on their other releases). It is a collection of new, already released, and re-mixed tracks; the 8 minute re-mix of Mr Brightside (with its New Order-esque guitar rifts), for me, justified the cost of this CD alone (and this is not the same remix you may have heard a few months ago on the radio). However I found myself skipping through many of the other tracks, which I've not done listening to their other 2 albums. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of The Killers but want to give a balanced review (I can't believe the number of people giving 5-stars; in my view this is only for a few very special albums). The Joy Division cover works really well, whereas the Romeo & Juliet cover has me screaming "why, no!".
The album is a good buy and enjoyable, but take it for what it is.

Violator
Violator

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Mode album, 28 Nov 2007
This review is from: Violator (Audio CD)
As a fan of DM over 2 decades, collecting all their releases on CD and vinyl, re-mixes, etc. in my view this is the best of their albums. All the songs gell together so well and as a whole it is complete (the 12"/remixes of Policy of Truth, etc. are worthwhile tracking down). I bought this remastered version based on the first review above, as I have top-range HiFi and wanted to hear this album at its best. I can concur with that reviewer that this version is superb and a vast improvement. Unlike some remasters, nothing has been taken away and the sound is so much more detailed and brighter, bringing out the fantastic vocals of Gore and Gahan a treat. Buy it; you're missing out on a "classic"!

Send Away The Tigers
Send Away The Tigers
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and Cheesy, but a Rolocking Ride!, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: Send Away The Tigers (Audio CD)
As many others have commented, this album is a collection of pop anthems with often questionable lyrics. However, I dare anyone not to find it an uplifting and joyous experience; you'll be tapping your feet and rushing to find the cigarette lighters to wave around.

Typically with Manics recordings, it sounds like the lads were singing in the bathroom with the mics outside in the garden - terrible quality. But in the car or gym, played loud, who cares! Enjoy, and careful with that swaying :-)