Profile for Andrew Barley > Reviews

Content by Andrew Barley

Andrew Barley (Manchester, UK)

The Old Man Who Read Love Stories
The Old Man Who Read Love Stories
by Luis Sepulveda

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourite books. Sepulveda conveys so much character with just ..., 23 Feb. 2016
One of my all time favourite books. Sepulveda conveys so much character with just a few words. The dentist, the gold prospectors, the old man, the jungle, they are all so real and sensuous. I've started to read it to my 11year who loves nature and she is captivated. A masterpiece.

1.8M Mini Display Port DP to HDMI Cable Adapter For iMac MacBook Pro Air LCD TV | Thunderbolt Compatible
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jun. 2015
Great!

Dave The Funky Shoulder Monkey
Dave The Funky Shoulder Monkey
Offered by VADELAN

5.0 out of 5 stars It's how you use him!, 3 Oct. 2013
We've had Dave for several weeks now and he continues to be great fun. My kids (age 9 & 10) really like getting him to interact with others - their friends, adults and children. He's responds and reacts to them.

For example, he's just helped my daughter (age 9) practice her times tables with much hilarity (hence the educational rating) - he tells her if her answer is right or not and when it's great he entertains her with a dance or high five!

My daughter really wanted a battery powered dog for her birthday but compared to any other electronic animals on the market, Dave is heaps more fun and I don't see that that is going to end any time soon.

(The shoulder strap is a fiddle but just sit him on a chair or your knee. The electronics aren't too noisy for us either.)

Invisible
Invisible
by Paul Auster

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugby tackled by a book!, 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Invisible (Paperback)
Once in a while, if you are lucky, a book comes along that gets you in a rugby tackle. Thus tackled you can do little in your day but read the book, save go to the loo and distractedly say `no sorry I am reading'. This happened to me recently with Paul Auster's Invisible. What made the experience all the more surprising, and pleasurable, was that I hadn't seen it coming. I'd picked the book off a shelf at home. I'm ashamed to say I can't really remember how it came into the house. Page one didn't strike me as anything special, in fact I reread the page because I hadn't quite understood it. But boy on the second reread and a few pages in without interuption, WHAM!, I was veritably rugby tacked and in the book's grip. What pleasure! And the remarkable thing? Book and me created this force field around us which said `Leave-Me-Alone-I'm-Doing-Something-Important-Here!'

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 5 Feb. 2011
Basically this doesnt work. The night vision thing ziltch. The hearing amplifier makes a noise in your ear but hardly boosts the sound. Save your money and buy a torch and hearing trumpet. This is a complete load of rubbish. Do not buy.

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger

1.0 out of 5 stars Fearfully Bad, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Hardcover)
Chosen as a book group I only managed to read it because of a sense of loyalty to the group. This is a tedious book that has little to recommend.

Carpet Makers
Carpet Makers
by Andreas Eschbach

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring book, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Carpet Makers (Paperback)
If you have an imagination you are in for a treat. Eschbach tells his story well drawing together a number of seemingly unconnected stories into something (in Manchester parlance)truly 'gobsmacking'. As the threads come together it becomes hard to put this book down. I found myself feeling the thrill of being totally absorbed by a book like I haven't in ages. The book has a philosophical undertone leading you perhaps to reflect on your own life and beliefs. It really should be better known and more widely read beyond SF readership. For those wondering I don't usually read SF and found nothing off putting about this book being set in the future. Read it and pass on the recommendation!

Kryptonite Evolution Mini Lock with Bracket
Kryptonite Evolution Mini Lock with Bracket
Offered by Bike Champions

4.0 out of 5 stars The lock used by bike messengers, 3 Aug. 2009
I bought this lock after a number of recommendations. The last one from my local bike shop who tried to break it with a long bar and two blokes hanging off it. But aside from the strength of the thing (they failed to break it) I chose this lock because it is smaller and lighter than most standard D locks. This is why many bike messengers use it. It is also easy to lock and unlock. If you chose this lock though appreciate it will not have the reach standard D locks have ie you may not be able to fasten it through wheels and frame and an unmovable object.