19 of 21 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Fabulous Phablet, 10 Nov 2012
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy note 2 to reduce the number of devices I carry around on a daily basis. Having to carry around a camera, 10 inch tablet and a phone sometimes seems to much.
I was considering waiting for the Ipad Mini or getting a Nexus 7 as an alternative and carrying a phone, but the main problem for me at the time was the limited storage space. I like to listen to music on the move and have a large collection. The Nexus with only 16gb at the time was too small (There is 32gb now). While the Ipad Mini I suspected before the release was going to be quite expensive for a 64gb model.
I have considered Music in cloud. but for me there have been situations such as on the underground where there is no reception, or in some areas where reception has been poor or very slow. (Maybe 4g will solve this, but for me its too expensive at the moment)
Then I saw the Galaxy Note 2. A phone that had all the features I needed in one device.
(I won't go into technical detail too much as other Amazon reviewers have already discussed them.) but here is a breakdown of what I think:
Things I liked:
1. The phone(or Phablet)has a large 5.5 inch screen, perfect for playing games,reading magazines and books. This was close enough for me to compromise in the smaller real screen estate of the note 2 compared to 7-8 inch tablets.
2. The ability to multitask. So you can look at the video and the browser at the same time or other functions.
3. The ability to draw and doodle to your hearts content with the S-Pen stylus.
4. The power to run various applications with no slow down and enough ram (2gb) to multitask without compromise to performance. Bench marks are all good. but in real time use. This Phablet is a powerhouse.
5. The ability to take decent photos with a range of affects which can be set to automatically upload to cloud.
6. The available micro SD slot for 64gb extra space for HD video and music.
7. Large removable battery. The battery from my daily use, normally lasts up to 1.75 days before I have to recharge it.
8. Dropbox (cloud) 50gb free for 2 years. I have a mixture of Microsoft, Apple and Android devices so the cross usage and extra space is great.
9. Not about the phone but Android has a good Eco-system with a range of applications.
Things I did not like:
1. The Phablet plastic build quality is solid, but the back cover is rather cheap. However, its easy to replace. For the price of this phone slightly higher grade materials could of been used.
2. Touch Wiz skin is a bit off putting. I prefer the standard Jellybean with no extra unnecessary things. On the other-hand Samsung did incorporate a few useful features such as S-note and multitasking in to off set this.
3. No LTE on this GT-N7100 version in the u.k (There is a N1705 with LTE but I'm not willing to pay for EE at the moment). I have decided I will probable upgrade my phone in a year. By then maybe 4G will be more cheaper and reasonable in its data usage then it is now.
4. The inability to uninstall certain applications like 'Galaxy choice' without rooting the phone.
5 The phone can take getting use to. Due to the range of options in the sub menus. I don't consider this personally as a disadvantage. However, those who have an adversity to technology should look else where.
So to conclude if you are in the market for a tablet of around 7 inches and fed up with carrying multiple devices. I highly recommend this as an alternative.