Profile for C. A. Cowie > Reviews

Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache All in One
Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache All in One
by Julie Meloni

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book - you'll get completely stuck, 27 April 2009
I'm usually a big fan of the Sams Teach Yourself books but this one seems to have been written by a retard.

Get to chapter 16 - Learning Basic SQL Commands, and you'll be stuck there forever. I happily typed in "CREATE TABLE grocery_inventory" only to get "ERROR 1046 <3D000>: No database selected". Hmmmm, what do I do? Guess I need to select a database or something? What's the command? THE BOOK DOESN'T TELL YOU!!! Went online and found the command is "USE <database_name>".

So I typed in "USE" ........ I'm stuck again. I don't have a database, the book doesn't tell you how to make one!!!! 5 minutes online and find the command is "CREATE <database_name>", so do that and then do "USE.." and I can now create my grocery inventory table.

But... how do I see all the databases I've created? You guessed it, basic commands like these are not in the book. "SHOW databases" is what you want here.

The book is littered with these kind of omissions. I cannot believe the level of incompetance from the author. You CANNOT write a beginners guide/teach yourself/dummies book like this and not have these basic commands in there at the appropriate place.

The worst teach yourself book I've ever worked through, author should be ashamed.

Back to Coldfusion then....