Profile for A. Gunston > Reviews

Content by A. Gunston

A. Gunston (Wakefield, UK)

Sunshine On Leith [2013] [DVD]
Sunshine On Leith [2013] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Flemyng

5.0 out of 5 stars You cant help smiling, 15 Feb. 2014
When I went to see this at the cinema I was a bit unsure as the film seemed to be hyped - and that normally means trouble. In this case all the hype wasn't wrong - this is a truly great feelgood movie. The Proclaimers music fits brilliantly into the story - there was no need for a shoehorn here to come up with some unbelievably contrived story.

I got the DVD as soon as it came out and I have watched it a number of times since. There aren't many extras on the DVD - just a handful of deleted scenes but the last one, the alternate ending makes the DVD worth it just for that. I thought the final scene in the film was great - one of those times when you just smile and join in with the singing. The alternate ending uses the same song but stages it completely differently and has more of a comic element.

Its sheer brilliance and I would recommend it to everyone.

Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier
Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read, 25 Jan. 2014
When I downloaded the book I didn't know what to expect - I guess like a lot of people I have a preconceived idea of what the attitude of the army would be to a gay man in the army. How wrong could I be - what I read was a captivating indictment of the country we live in. Rather than the prejudice I expected it turns into a story of acceptance and normality. James has a writing style which makes you just want to read another page and I couldn't put it down - ended up reading until 2am just because I was so engrossed.

Seagate STBF500200 500GB Satellite WiFi USB 3.0 2.5 inch External Hard Drive - Black
Offered by DSG STORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Like carrying a server with you, 16 Dec. 2012
I truly love this device. I have a number of tablets and in the past I have travelled around with a collections of microsd cards and USB sticks with all my content on. This meant that I always had something available to watch when I was on the move but it was also a pain because they are all so small and fiddly. I got this last week because it sounded like the answer to my prayers - and I wasn't disappointed.

I loaded some content onto the drive as a test and connected to the drive's wireless network from my IPAD. I had Air Player installed which I have used to access DLNA servers in the past and this handled connecting to the drive with no problem. The web interface for the drive also let me connect it to my home internet so I could still get on the internet via the drive.

Suddenly all of those USB sticks and microsd cards were redundant - I spent a profitable couple of hours transferring all of the content from them to my new drive and then I spent a few hours testing. It worked with my IPAD, my IPOD Touch and my Android tablet without any problems. I did struggle with Windows because of the limitations that the standard software but I used VLC to access the drive and was really happy.

Standing Ovation: The Greatest Songs from the Stage
Standing Ovation: The Greatest Songs from the Stage

2.0 out of 5 stars A pity..., 5 Dec. 2012
I will start by saying that I got tingle down my spine when I first heard Susan Boyle sing I dreamed a dream and I hoped to feel that same tingle listening to this cd. However, I don't think the choice of songs on this cd are right for her voice. In many of the songs she seems to struggle either with the pitching or the breathing - I think its down to song selection more than anything else. Its a real shame as I enjoyed the last cd. Better luck next time...

Cabin Max Backpack Flight Approved Carry On Bag Massive 44 litre Travel Hand Luggage 55x40x20 cm - Metz Black
Offered by Home & Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more substantial than it looks, 22 July 2012
Like a lot of the reviews here I was a bit worried about the robustness of the bag when I first received it - i travel regularly and I know all to well how much my travel bag gets. I usually travel to Denmark regularly on Easyjet and I dont relish the thought of paying the Easyjet extorionate cost for hold baggage and at the same time have to wait at both ends for the bag to come off the carousel.

Anyway, ive been using the bag for nearly a year now and it has stood up to it really well - I use it with an eagle creek packing cube which means that you can get loads of stuff in the bag without it coming out at the other end really creased. For a slightly longer stay I can get 2 packing cubes into the main space and still get my laptop in too.

It fits really well into the overhead bins and seems to stand up really well to the mad hoards of Easyjet travellers who see getting every last inch of space in the overhead bins filled as their mission in life. As it doesnt have solid sides it is happy to yield to whatever is shoved against it - while the same couldnt be said for my old case which ended up dented.

Would I buy another? - most definitely, what I paid for this bag is less than I would have to pay to take a checked bag in one direction on Easyjet! Would I recommend it to others? - that should be rephrased - I have recommended it to everyone I know who travels like I do.

Seven  Brides For Seven Brothers
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this production, 1 Jan. 2012
This is the first musicals I saw when I moved to London back in the mid 80's. The quality of singing and the staging was brilliant. Listening to this CD brings it all back to me - all of the performers showed real character and personality which is something which is often lacking in a performance. I dont think there were any weak performances in this.

Its odd that listening to a CD can take you back more than 25 years but just listening to this takes me back to the Saturday when I took my seat in the Prince of Wales theatre. I've seen many musicals since and a lot of them have been special but this one has a special place in my heart

Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matt Lucas
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 29 Nov. 2010
Like a number of other reviewers I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Les Miserables - I even went to see it when I was in Copenhagen (and I dont speak Danish!!) - with a show like Les Mis you really dont need to understand the language. I still remember going to see it for the first time when it first opened at the Palace (25 years - no way, I must have been about 2!!) - getting a standby ticket, sitting in the stalls and feeling that production just washing over me.

I saw the recent production at the Barbican and loved it but missed out on the concert at the O2 - but not any more. Just got the Blu Ray and all I can say is WOW.

The music is, as always, great.

The finale with a quartet of jean Valjean's is unbelievable and brought tears to my eyes.

I just want to watch it over and over again.

Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook
Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook
by Michael Linenberger

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings order to chaos, 21 May 2008
I think I could win awards as the world's most disorganised person - getting 150+ emails a day and managing to deal with about 10 of them in any detail the rest got at best a quick skim and at worst completely ignored.

And then I discovered this book. I bought it as something to read on the plane on the way to my holiday in US (sad I know!!) By the time I arrived in US my eyes had been opened to how to change things and for once the change didn't mean completely reinventing myself. It was literally a case of bringing structure and order to the chaos. I finished the book sat by the pool.

Then I got back to work after 3 weeks away, opened Outlook and found over a couple of thousand unread messages. Made the changes laid out in the book and started to apply the principles. Seven hours later 40 tasks in by taskbar and no messages in my Inbox - for the first time in years I felt like I was in control. I knew what needed to be done and when.

The only problem is that I keep going round preaching about how wonderful the systems is - all my colleagues seem to have noticed the change suddenly the person who can't tell them what is coming up knows exactly whats on the list of tasks. And more importantly takes great delight in ticking the tasks off as each one is completed.

I have bought a second copy of the book because I want to have one permanently in my desk drawer to refer to and to lend to my colleagues.

I can honestly say that this is the first book which has changed my life. It won't be joining the extensive collection of self-improvement books on my bookshelf - this one is one you want to open again and again.

Thank you Michael Linenberger - keep up the good work.