Profile for Rosebud88 > Reviews

The Merman
The Merman
Price: 3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutal but brilliant, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Merman (Kindle Edition)
With the brutally honest and evocative descriptions of the bullying school children and drunk parents that Nella and Robert put up with, I found myself shying physically away a number of times. It's a brilliant story that had me hooked but be warned how dark and horrifying some parts are - to the point where I almost felt it was gratuitous. The description of the Merman is stunning in the detail and I could really see him in my mind's eye; I almost wanted more interaction with him (he doesn't come in till halfway through the book and even then Nella has to stay away from him), but maybe that is a clever way of keeping him so mysterious and mythical? It's not all doom and gloom though, Nella's strong narrative helps guide you through the worst parts and the ending gives a small ray of hope.

In the Land of the Long White Cloud (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga)
In the Land of the Long White Cloud (In the Land of the Long White Cloud Saga)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 21 April 2013
I loved the way there were so many different story lines going on in this book. Instead of becoming confusing and complicated it served to nicely weave people's lives together and it made a long book feel short because there was so much going on. The writer beautifully described the landscape (without being too wordy!) to the point where I felt as if I was there. I was surprisingly pleased at how much I enjoyed it!

Me Before You
Me Before You
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
This book was not the typical romance that I was expecting, and yet it is one of the best books I have read in a very long time. It was wonderfully written and whist the subject matter could have been depressing and sad, I found myself giggling to Lou and Will's banter. Be warned though, the last few pages I was a sobbing wreck which wasn't a good look when travelling home on the tube! Definitely worth reading- I was so impressed with the way Jojo sensitively wrote this story and opened my eyes to a world I had never considered before.

I've Got Your Number
I've Got Your Number
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly funny, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: I've Got Your Number (Hardcover)
It has been years since I read a book and found myself laughing hysterically out loud at the story (I got some odd looks on the tube!). Yes, it's a little predictable and is in places similar to other stories she's written, but I didn't care. This is still a lovely story and a very, very funny book.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 4 / 4S (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jun 2011
The quality of the product was outstanding- having had Iphones for years, this cover has really done the job perfectly and it was very easy to do, with wonderfully clear instructions. The sweets were a nice touch, and I appreciated the personal message from the company to let me know about my order. Definitely worth spending the extra money to get such a good service and quality product!

We are Soldiers: Our Heroes. Their Stories. Real Life on the Frontline.
We are Soldiers: Our Heroes. Their Stories. Real Life on the Frontline.
by Danny Danziger

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly interesting, 5 April 2011
Bored, I picked this book up one day as it was lying around a friend's house, and 3 hours later I put it down. It is a riveting read of soldier's stories spanning wars and years, and gets right to the heart of the subject. I'm not particularly interested in the army or anything, but this was a truly fascinating insight into the direct lives of various men and women working in the army. I think this makes a good present book- you can dip in and out of it with ease and it gives the uneducated an invaluable insight into the lives of people working in the army- from someone working on the front line, all the way to an engineer whose job it is to work on photocopiers in the Falklands!