Profile for smelleykins > Reviews

Edz Kidz - Blue Kids Ear Defenders
Edz Kidz - Blue Kids Ear Defenders
Offered by Grendle_Enterprises

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product in a huge range of colours, 5 Nov. 2014
I ordered these for my nephew who hates loud noises and because we're due to take him on his first plane trip soon. So far have used them to block out firework sounds and he loves them. Fantastic product in a huge range of colours. Excellent delivery service, orderd midday Tuesday they arrived Wednesday.

The Dead Wife's Handbook
The Dead Wife's Handbook
by Hannah Beckerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Hannah writes beautifully., 22 Feb. 2014
There was a lot of hype about this book on my twitter feed. Usually I’m not one to jump on the bandwagon but something made me want to read this. Firstly the cover really attracts your attention. It’s bright and doesn’t give any real indication of a story about death.. or a dead person. It appears cheerful, yet something stands out. So i took the plunge, entered every competition to win a copy of this, and failed them all, so I pre-ordered and got very impatient waiting for it to come. When finally it did, it was worth the wait.

The story is of Rachel, who has died, suddenly. It wasn’t something expected which made it all the more harder to deal with. I guess, if theres a prolonged illness involved the possibility is underlying, but sudden death, it’s the cruelest of fates. Anyways, the story is told by Rachel, who is stuck somewhere between earth and heaven? I think its a place in limbo (which i firmly believe in). And because of this place, which is surrounded in white, she is given the gift, or at times appears to be a curse of being able to view, those she loves. Looking down upon their lives, no warning given, it just happens. From this state of limbo, Rachel has to deal with her emotions, of not only trying to work out where exactly it is, but also why she is there. What is the reason she’s given the exclusiveness of being able to view people but still having no control, no way of contacting them, to make them realise she is still there.

At given times, we see Max and Ellie, Rachels husband and daughter. Rachel sees how they’re coping (or not at times) with the loss. We see friends and family and also a new relationship started. Rachel’s feeling, and the hearbreak theres nothing she can do to help those on earth.

I’m not sure how i’d cope looking down on people, finding they are able to carry on at times. But the characters were all written amazingly. Ellie and Eve were probably two of my favourite. An innocent soul and someone who is just trying to love. I liked how the book is set through the stages Rachel goes through, Shock, Barganing, Depression, Acceptance, perhaps they’re the many stages of greif.

This really tugs at your emotions and you get routing for some characters. A book that makes you relfect on your life, what you have achived and what’s yet stil to come. It’s a wonderful debut from Hannah Beckerman, can’t wait to read more from Hannah!

Stress City: A Fairytale Gone Wrong: 1
Stress City: A Fairytale Gone Wrong: 1
by Emer Bruce

4.0 out of 5 stars not your average fairytale, 30 Jan. 2014
If i’m being honset, I’ve never actually read a ‘fantsay’ book at all. I have no logical reason as to why, I guess I always thought they were going to be a little far fetched. But thats what fantasy is all about. It’s allowing whatever you wish to happen, happen. A good imagination with the skill to write a book, can unleash the most amazing of stories.

I enjoyed this alot. The characters where all written wonderfully. My favourite had to be the two so called ‘idiots’, Jack and Dundee, but I also loved Duggey because, i’m a sucker for book shop owners. I do think with a lot of the other characters, there’s more to them that what we read so far.

It’s a fast paced book, which at times can be a little confusing but once you understand who at the time is telling of the story, it’s pretty simple. The switch between Stress City and the Otherworld was fasinating. I loved, Story World.

Overall a great debut. It’s humorous, fun and the first of three books. I am going to have to make sure i get my hands on the next two. I also have to add a little note about the cover, its stunning and fits with the theme of the book.