Profile for E. Flanagan > Reviews

Content by E. Flanagan

E. Flanagan (Dublin)

Straight Up (Berkley Sensation)
Straight Up (Berkley Sensation)
by Deirdre Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 14 Jun 2010
I've read quite a few of this author's books and was very disappointed in this. At the start of the book the heroine is very unlikeable. Supposedly she has been hurt in the past, but she comes across as rude and pretty nasty and even the insights given to her don't improve much. I pressed on, but sadly, things only get worse. The manner (and speed) in which she and Liam 'fall in love' is just not at all plausible, especially for a character who, we have been told, is closed off and self protective.
The book is incredibly predictable, which I didn't mind too much - it's what you expect with this kind of book, but is usually made up for by decent, engaging characters. This didn't. I really felt like I had read this book before, only this was the pale imitation. If this had been the first book I'd read by this author, I'd never, ever buy another by her.

Move More (Retail Version) [DVD] [2007]
Move More (Retail Version) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Weight Watchers
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic starting point, 20 May 2010
As a member of Weight Watchers with a lot to lose, this DVD is a great way to start exercising in the comfort of your own home. I own quite a few exercise DVD's, and when you have a significant amount of weight to shift, some of the moves are just not possible or practical. If you have ever felt that way, then this is the DVD for you.

I found the instructor excellent, taking the time to explain how to do moves in a clear and understandable way. The moves are fairly basic, but do get you moving, which is the whole point of this DVD. The breakdown into cardio, toning and relax/stretch is convenient; you can combine sections 'manually' by selecting within the individual sections, or you can just click on the length of time you have and the DVD selects for you.

This is a beginners DVD, but each routine includes a beginner, intermediate and advanced person for you to follow, so as time goes on, you can up the intensity. The music is a bit bland and repetetive, but you can always plug in your own tunes.

An excellent DVD for people starting to exercise or returning to it with a lot of weight to lose.

Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
by Linda Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent book, 24 Feb 2009
I have to say that this is the best creative writing book that I've seen to date. Having skimmed through and bought others only to be disappointed with them, I was delighted with this. It is the coursebook on an OU course, however, it is very easy to work through alone, with great exercises that are very effective.
What particularly appealed to me was the matter of fact way that it deals with topics and the combination of readings and exercises - having specific text to refer to when discussing an element of writing was incredibly helpful.
I can't recommend this enough and I imagine that I will continue to dip in and out of it for years to come.

The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry
by Julia Bell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful at all, 11 Jan 2008
This book implies that is is a guide to creative writing. I found it irritating. It's more like a group of people discussing elements of writing from their own particular perspective, with little to no constructive advice.

Yes there are excercises suggested, but the instructions are often badly laid out. There is a certain element of literary 'snobbery' - commercial success appears to be frowned upon by the authors and contributors.

I would not recommend it to anyone who is looking for an introduction to creative writing, especially if their interest lies in popular fiction.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2008 3:37 PM BST