Profile for Vesna Gamulin > Reviews

Content by Vesna Gamulin

Vesna Gamulin "vesnagamulin" (Dubrovnik, Croatia)

A Picture Of Britain - Complete BBC TV Series [DVD] [2005]
A Picture Of Britain - Complete BBC TV Series [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Dimbleby
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars A picture of Britain., 4 Mar 2011
I recently pruchased this DVD, through Amazon.co.uk. and am so thrilled I made this choice.

David Dimbleby deserves a medal for such an interesting, charming presentation of the different landscapes of Britain. He brings you to places that are romatic, wild, beautifl! Every place, every corner of land or sea, David takes you, he compares it with a writer, poet, painter and composer. Each of these artists came and stayed at these places,creating some of their best artistique achievements.

You see the place, you see the painting (thanks to Tate gallery), you hear the story of the painter. The same thing is with writers or poets and you can admire the seaside and listen to the music of the comoposer.

It's magnificent and so well presented!

Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Francesco's Venice : Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francesco Da Mosto

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing good and bad English, 4 Mar 2011
I just started watching Francesco's DVD about Vencie, its very well done except for his English, it is a little bit not English, thank god there is a subtitle, but still in your ears you have the sound of wrongly expressed language. to the extent to make the entire DVD at some point "anthipatique" ! Its a pitty, otherwise Francesco is charming and great and so is his Venice, which is mine one and only Venice, as well.

I a commenting this even more convinced, since I just finished watching a DVD "A picture of Britain", by David Dimbleby. When you compare his way of expressing himself (fantastic DVD one of the best I have ever seen) Francesco's English is even more annoying. How is it possible that BBC allows it, Francesco should speak in Italian ( he would be more charming) and someone can translate him.

I truely wish that my opinion will be read and taken into consideration, and that I can go on buying Francesc' s DVD's. Otherwise, I will certainly not purchase his DVDs in English language, ever again.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2011 8:00 PM BST

Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage [DVD]
Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francesco Da Mosto

5.0 out of 5 stars Francesco's marvellous Mediterranean voyage, 10 Jan 2011
Once I have watched the two discs on my DVD, I eagerly want to express my gratitude to Francesco for letting me visit all the lovely places of his choice. He has aroused all my senses, I have enjoyed every single part of his story. Starting with Venice, the emotional story of him and his family make and Venice make his story even more valuable. Francesco is a person that you admire all through his voyage and although he wants to be a tough man I prefer him as he is, subtle and sentimental. My husband and I watched his story appreciating it twice. My husband is a sea man from Dubrovnik and so was my father, we are a family that love the sea and know what was our history, linked to all Francesco's visit on the Mediterranean. His Croatia is very good ( althoug I wished he showed more of Dubrovnik, but this is personal), his Greece is majestic, with the islands the history, the life of people past and today, the fantastic wedding with 1.500 guests including Francesco, his family waiting for him on an island in Greece and finally Istambul !
We liked his relation wish the crew, and we give them our compliments for the sailing and everything, since we sailed these waters, but not on the Black Swon, we have a small sailing boat of 13 meters and we do lots of sailing.
The Captain has certainly won all the hearts of ladies ! A very charming Italian man, typical Mediterranean, reminds me of my husband.
The Black Swan sailing boat is our of dreams, and we have the film now called Black Swan what a coincidence!
To Francesco, his crew, his team, the BBC all our compliments, with wishes for more !!! Vesna and Jadran Gamulin, from Dubrovnik _ Croatia.

William Shakespeare's Macbeth [1978] [DVD]
William Shakespeare's Macbeth [1978] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen

5.0 out of 5 stars clasics, 8 Jun 2010
It is an extremely well created play, including the perfect acting of masters of English drama, I loved it. Althoug to watch a play on a DVD is never as good as the same the play on stage. You need the audience around you otherwise your are just alone, and cannot share the atmosphere, something is missing.

An Autobiography
An Autobiography
by Agatha Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars The mystery, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: An Autobiography (Hardcover)
The mystery of Agatha' s life and books makes her in my eyes a very special and unique person. I loved the book and her personal story, what a strong woman I wish I was like her !

Ivan Mestrovic: the Making of a Master
Ivan Mestrovic: the Making of a Master
by Maritza Mestrovic

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Man, 6 Dec 2009
I read the book with great interest. It is a book about a famous man, his family and most of all the tragic and happy life he lived. Coming from a country like Croatia, it was not easy for him. The political situations that have affected his country made decisions in his life. His life was full with passion and he is for Croatia what Rodin is for France.

This is a story written by his daughter and as such the closest to Mestrovię.

There should be more books written about him, he deserves it. He met his second wife Olga in Dubrovnik, were he worked as well as in Cavtat, creating great art. I was born in Dubrovnik and am very proud that our town has some of his valuable sculptures.

Recently a Croatian author Dusko Keèkemet wrote the biography of Ivan Mestrovię, published in two books, in Croatian language, it should be translated so that the rest of the world can read it.

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars With all the compliments, 11 Feb 2009
Nigella is simply fantastic. I love the way she presents her cooking. It is simple, kind to us readers, making it look so easy. I have cooked for my family with advices, suggestions from her book, making all my lunches and dinners a big success. She makes possible all sort of cooking. With her book you can cook in peace. I also enjoy how she explains the relationship with her mother and other people she cooked with. She makes me nostalgic of my mother and her cooking. Bravo Nigella, keep it up. Thanks to you one realizes that English cooking is very precious and worth discovering. One should have all her books.

Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
by Susan Ratcliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars my opinion, 11 Feb 2009
I was disappointed with the book. I was expecting a different presentation, more subtle and more elegant. Reading it one cannot follow a line, it is too much on such small space.

The Uncollected Michael Foot: Essays Old and New 1953-2003
The Uncollected Michael Foot: Essays Old and New 1953-2003
by Michael Foot

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Man, 11 Feb 2009
A book everyone should read. It is about truth, honesty, honour, modesty. This is a book that teaches you how to understand the worlds treachery, the wrong political decisions of many.There is also wit and humour making the book even more interesting to read. Michael Foot is a rare personality, I wish there were more Michael Foots in the world today. He is a literate man a prolific author.All through his life and work, he became and inspirational force in British life. Most of all he symbolizes a world we have lost. That is why this book is important to read and all other books written by Michael. I also recomend the book that is a biography on Michael Foot, written by Kenneth O.Morgan.