Profile for NB > Reviews

Prometheus [DVD] [2012]
Prometheus [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Science Fiction flic! (all blood n guts + guns this ain't!), 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Prometheus [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I'll keep this fairly brief:

I really enjoyed this film, it looked stunning (I saw it in reliably old fashioned 2D) and I enjoyed the story and it's background.

It nodded just enough to the 'Alien' universe, yet still stood up as a stand alone film. Shaw is looking like the new Ripley.

For those looking for a Xenomorph acid bath this was never going to be that and because of this, I think it will have better longevity for future films.

The franchise fell into the AvP thread, gaining a younger audience, but with that, losing a deeper, more interesting narrative. They have their place, but I wasn't interested in blood and guts for the sake of it.

This film is not perfect, but its great to have such good quality Sci-Fi at the cinema again. More please!

Wallander - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Wallander - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Warner
Price: 14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, well acted and well shot!, 17 Jan 2010
To be honest I knew nothing of Henning Mankell's detective novels before I saw these 2 series on the BBC. I am also not a regular fan of crime thrillers, yet the Wallander series has been excellent!

There is great detail in the writing and Kenneth Branagh, along with the rest of the British cast have certainly got my vote for their acting abilities on the whole. I was so taken with the fact that the UK adaptation had been shot in Ystad, Sweden as it really made a change from exported TV series that have to completely adapt the stories to the country they are sold to. Although I have to say, at times many a shot looked like some sort of Volvo ad! ;)

Speaking of shots, I was very impressed with the way these series had been filmed. All the angles, use of light and shade and the detail were superb! I hope there is more to come.

Well recommended!