Profile for Amy McKenzie > Reviews

Amy McKenzie

Andy's Dinosaur Adventures Complete - BBC [DVD]
Andy's Dinosaur Adventures Complete - BBC [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Copeland

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended viewing if your child loves dinosaurs:), 2 Jan. 2015
This is a wonderful video if you have a child who loves dinosaurs. My 3 year old son enjoyed watching BBC's "Walking with Dinosaurs" and "Prehistoric Park" with Nigel Marven so I decided to initially buy him series 1 on iTunes because it used the same technology for the dinosaurs. He absolutely loved it! The length is great for kids, it introduces not just dinosaurs but also different objects that existed during the same time plus Andy is very likeable and his adventures are very enjoyable to watch. My son loves to sing along to the catchy theme tune and see Andy interacting with the dinosaurs. He learned so much from series 1 that when I saw all 3 series here on DVD, I knew that I had to get it for him. It is so wonderful to see the BBC provide such educational and informative programs for children - when my son sees a picture of any of the dinosaurs featured in this DVD, he had no problem naming even those with long and hard to pronounce names! The only problem is that he thinks that there is a magic clock in every museum and wants to look for it ;) I would highly recommend this series for any child who likes dinosaurs and I only wish that more series were available :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fabulous!, 27 May 2011
I don't normally write reviews of products but after using my Kindle for almost 6 months now in a variety of situations, I just wanted to say how fabulous it is and it goes with me everywhere. I am a huge collector of books and am a voracious reader and this has caused me quite a problem in the past because of the space needed to house all of these books. The ability to be able to buy books and download them in the space of a few minutes directly from my Kindle is great! The only drawback is that not all books that I am interested in can be downloaded in Kindle format but I am sure that this will get better once more publishers see the merit of making more of their books available in Kindle format.

The biggest advantage for me is that I travel to places where English books and magazines are not always available leaving me nothing to read. I purchased a 3G version of the Kindle because it mentioned that it can be used anywhere in the world to access the Kindle bookstore and I was definitely not disappointed! I spent some time in Hong Kong and had no problems downloading books from there and now that I am based in Japan where finding a wide variety of English books is not always easy, my Kindle has proven to be a godsend! I am also able to subscribe to some English language Japanese newspapers so that I can keep up to date with what is happening until my ability to read Japanese is good enough to read the Japanese newspapers.

The Kindle is light and easy to carry in even the smallest bag and allows me to transport even the largest book around with ease. I am so glad that I took the plunge and ordered one and the ability to import pdfs to the Kindle is something that I am looking forward to.

Thanks Amazon for coming up with such a useful product for those of us who love to read a lot anywhere and everywhere!

The Great Scandinavian Baking Book
The Great Scandinavian Baking Book
by Beatrice Ojakangas

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best baking books I own!, 20 Sept. 2000
I bought the older hardcover version of this cookbook that was issued in 1988 and there probably is not a lot of difference between the two versions. I highly recommend this cookbook for two reasons.
First of all, it is written by Beatrice Ojakangas who, in my opinion, is the queen of all recipe book writers:) I own a number of her cookbooks and she writes in a very clear, concise way. All of her recipes are accompanied by a cultural anecdote or an informative note or two about the recipe so that you feel that you own more than a cookbook - you gain an insight into the Scandinavian culture and way of life.
Secondly, and just as important, the recipes in this book are simply delicious. They run the gamut from breads and rolls to mouth watering pastries, both sweet and savoury. I had seen the many shapes that Danish pastry came in and they looked somewhat daunting to prepare but, in her book, Ms Ojakangas provides easy to follow diagrams that made them a breeze to shape. Being a chocoholic, I never thought that desserts could be tasty unless they were loaded down with the stuff. I stand corrected!:)
Again, I highly recommend this book. The recipes are delicious and it is an excellent book for anyone who has ever felt daunted by baking. Well done!