Profile for Contemp > Reviews

Content by Contemp

Contemp (Cambs, UK)

ASUS Intel H55 Express 1156 Micro ATX Motherboard (PCI-E 2.0 x16, DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, OnBoard VGA)

2.0 out of 5 stars BIOS problems. Expected better., 2 April 2011
One of the main reasons why I bought this product is that it has an IDE connector, allowing me to use my old DVD drive, while rival boards in the same price range only support SATA. So by getting the P7H55-M, I would save myself the price of a new drive.

Not so.

After assembling the PC, adding memory, CPU etc. I turn it on, only to find it won't boot from the DVD drive, despite identifying it correctly. So I try to get into the BIOS settings using the DEL key, as instructed, but that doesn't work. After repeated attempts, holding down the DEL key on numerous reboots, I did get into the settings and change the boot order, but this had little effect. I was then unable to get back into the the BIOS menu.

I would guess I rebooted 50+ times in order to access the BIOS menus that one time.

After searching various forums, I bought myself a SATA DVD and this actually worked. After installing Ubuntu, I still get a "No any device exists!" message every time it boots, but the OS loads normally. I now have a working system, having spent £20 more than I'd budgeted.

Apparently there is a cheaper solution, if you can get into the BIOS, but that's not really relevant to me. I've seen the same problem reported from other ASUS boards so next time, I think I'll try someone else.

Chapelwood Nest Box
Chapelwood Nest Box

2.0 out of 5 stars More attention to detail required, 18 Sept. 2010
The RSPB/BTO/Birdcare Standards Association recommend that the bottom of the entrance hole is at least 120mm above the floor of the box, to prevent predators reaching the chicks and to prevent fledglings leaving the nest prematurely. On this box, the hole is too low. A pity, as it is well made from the right materials. The hole should be nearer to the apex of the roof - as it is in Chaplewood's more expensive offerings.

Look elsewhere if you want to give nesting birds the best chance of breeding success.

Immediate Action
Immediate Action
by Andy McNab

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, but a disturbing omission raises questions, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Immediate Action (Paperback)
I read Immediate Action some years ago and like many others, I thought this was a fascinating and exciting read, until I happened across Mark Urban's book Big Boys Rules which, among other things, describes an incident also mentioned in Immediate Action.
Without going into too much detail, the incident occurred in Northern Ireland and involves a clash between an IRA cell and an SAS unit in thick fog. An IRA man and an SAS soldier were killed; McNab wasn't present (those who have already read the book will know what I'm referring to). Reading that passage, one is likely to conclude that the IRA man killed had stolen a weapon from the SAS men and was then shot. In fact, he was unarmed - according to the evidence given to the inquest by the soldiers, they mistakenly thought he had taken the weapon and opened fire in self-defence. Urban's book disputes this account, but that is not my point. My complaint is, McNab describes the incident in such a way (He looked down - the gun was gone. "He's got the HK! He's got the HK!" etc.) that the reader is pointed towards an erroneous conclusion - that the IRA man was armed when he was not. He is careful not to tell an outright lie, which to me says he is fully aware of the deception he is performing.
I have to ask why he does this, as the SAS men do not dispute that they shot an unarmed man, and the inquest accepted that they acted legally in doing so. It also makes me question the veracity of the rest of his book, given that I have no way of checking which facts might have been conveniently omitted, for the sake of telling the right story.

Touch Typing In Ten Hours, 2nd Edition: Spend a Few Hours and Gain a Valuable Skill for Life
by Ann Dobson

4.0 out of 5 stars A great primer, 20 July 2008
Periodically, I get one of these books out of the library and try to teach myself to type. Rarely do I get beyond the "ask a sad lass" stage. This time, I not only passed that point but pushed on to the finish. There is just the right balance of repetition and progress. The only reason I give it four stars rather than five is that the final section on Microsoft Word will eventually go out of date, like all computer related info. Everything else will last a lifetime. Just as long as you practise.

Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos
Berg & Britten: Violin Concertos
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking beauty, 26 Sept. 2007
Bought this after hearing the Britten on BBC Radio 3, and I wasn't disappointed. However, I found myself listening more and more to the Berg. Hope's playing is wonderfully judged, and he is justly earning himself a great reputation. I can't fault the orchestra either. It's great to hear the influence of Berg's masterpiece on the young Britten, and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Hope's future work.