Profile for Krissy > Reviews

Content by Krissy

Krissy

Healthy Gluten-free Eating: In Association with Coeliac UK (Healthy Eating Series)
by Darina Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free Cookbook on the Planet!, 19 April 2012
This recipe book is by far the best gluten free cookbook I own. I completely disagree with the negative comments on here and think some of the negativity probably comes from an inability to cook. I actually find the recipes really easy and tasty, there are only one or two that haven't been fantastic but even then, they were tasty and edible.

I do have to agree that the recipes are not particularly 'healthy' but there are ways to substitute ingredients. For example, I generally use evaporated milk in place of cream. And I do think it's weird that one of the reviews talked about how the book uses strange ingredients (such as almond meal and rice flour which are staples in a gluten-free cooks' cupboard) instead of pre-mixed gluten free flours. It is far cheaper to buy the flours and mix them than it is to buy them already mixed in a box.

My favourite recipes from this book include the lemon and raspberry cheesecake (absolutely AMAZING!), the lemon shortbread, gnocchi, raisin loaf (mm raisin toast!), pancakes, crumpets (mine worked perfectly and were so delicious) - in fact I think the only thing that hasn't worked that well was the pastry but there was way too much butter in it so I just reduced it and it worked fine.

I would definitely recommend this book to anybody with coeliac or wheat/gluten intolerance.