Profile for Dan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper
Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper

2.0 out of 5 stars Blades too big for curved claws, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Ancol Ergo Nail Clipper (Misc.)
Good quality and sharp, however ultimately these were not fit for purpose. For claws that grow out straight, these work well. However, they are simply impossible to use on some of the front claws that curve downwards (on our cat at least), because the blades are too big and bulky, making it impossible to get at these claws. I'm quite surprised there are so many good reviews as this seems like a major design flaw to me. Disappointed that these turned out to be a waste of money, I'll be looking to get another pair with smaller blades.

HYPROMELLOSE 0.3% Eye Drops for Irritated and Dry Eyes 10ML
HYPROMELLOSE 0.3% Eye Drops for Irritated and Dry Eyes 10ML
Offered by 20Marketing

1.0 out of 5 stars not for me., 19 Mar. 2015
Didn't work for me. Made my eyes even more sore. After doing a bit of research, the preservative used is apparently known to cause soreness for some people.

USB 2.0 A female to Micro USB B male Adapter Cable With OTG Function
USB 2.0 A female to Micro USB B male Adapter Cable With OTG Function
Offered by JUYUAN-EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Nexus 7. Great value considering the price., 24 Feb. 2015
Works with my Nexus 7. Great value considering the price.

JETech® Gold Slim-Fit Smart Case Cover for Google Nexus 7 2013 Tablet w/Stand and Auto Sleep/Wake Function (Black)
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Feb. 2015
I'd highly recommend this case. Much better than a previous case I've had for a different but similar tablet. Main advantages:

- When open the entire front of the screen is accessible, making it easy to use, i.e swiping down from the top of the screen to open the notification/settings menu
- Case is very lightweight but is reinforced at the corners, appears to be well made
- Perfect fit for the Nexus 7, almost snaps into place. Only issue is that it can be a little bit tricky to take the tablet back out of the case
- The stand works well and is quite sturdy

The only thing I didn't like about the case is that when you open the front cover and fold it behind the back of the tablet, it doesn't line up very well, as you get a couple of cm's sticking out underneath on the right hand side. This can make it a bit annoying to hold in this configuration, but it's a minor issue and no deal breaker.

Overall I think this is a great case and I'd buy another one if I needed to.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars The fit is a bit too long, and the collar is quite tight which makes it uncomfortable., 1 Feb. 2015

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Gel Skin Case Cover - Smoke Black - Includes 2 Screen Protectors

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted., 1 Feb. 2015
Snug fit. What isn't obvious from the picture is that it is semi-transparent, so you can still see the back of the phone through it, meaning the look of the phone is relatively unchanged. Slim, light and doesn't add much bulk. Not as grippy as I would have liked, but used for a couple of months and had no obvious issues. Haven't used the screen protectors so can't comment on those.

Metaltex Imperial Cheese Slicer, Stainless Steel
Metaltex Imperial Cheese Slicer, Stainless Steel
Offered by Red House Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose., 1 Feb. 2015
Waste of time: Slices too thickly, and rips at cheese, causing large chunks to rip off when the slicer reaches the end of the block of cheese. Tried it on relatively soft cheeses (chedder and red leicester) and had it for a couple of weeks but have given up. Not fit for purpose, and also bends quite easily. Would have sent it back and asked for a refund but it's too much hassle for such an inexpensive item.

Smash
Smash
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not their best album, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Smash (Audio CD)
I like the Offspring, but this isn't their best album. While there are a handful of good tracks on here, there are equally a handful of average ones. The whole album is quite morose in tone as well. In my opinion, 'Ixnay on the Hombre' is the definitivee Offspring album, and it's a much better all round album than Smash.

Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop (Black/Silver) - (Intel Core i5 3210 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit)

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid: Poorly made, flimsy keyboard, 23 May 2013
The main problem is the keyboard, which is awful to use, and completely ruins the userbility of the laptop. I've used a lot of laptop keyboards and this is the worst one I've used by far. The keyboard literally flexes when you type and the keys feel very cheap and wobble about if you brush them with your fingertips. They're flat and cramped together and make quite a loud rattling noise when you type. The touch-pad doesn't work particularly well, and the click buttons are poor too. It's actually a big rocker-switch type button as opposed to two separate buttons, and you have to press quite hard right on the edge to get them to work.

The lid of the laptop flexes quite a lot when you lift the lid which isn't very good, and the ultra-shiny plastic picks up fingerprints.

I was really disappointed with this laptop, and all I wanted was an inexpensive easy-to-use laptop primarily for web browsing. I really don't understand the amount of good reviews this laptop has received, given the poor ergonomics. I didn't buy it off amazon because it was cheaper elsewhere, but I wish I had, because I've had to return the laptop at my own expense due to their returns policy. Definitely one to try before you buy!

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (PS3)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars PES is back. No, really!, 13 Jan. 2013
Skip this first paragraph if you want to read my actual review of the game: I'm just outlining my previous experience with football games to put this review into context. I've tried to make this review as fair as possible. The last PES game I played was PES6 on the ps2, which I loved. When I got a PS3 I decided to give FIFA10 a go, after hearing about the series much improved gameplay and the apparent demise of PES in the current generation. I grew to like FIFA, it had a lot going for it but also some major flaws. I tried FIFA12 and found it to be quite realistic, but quite boring. Scoring goals just didn't have the same feel to it as it did on PES games of old, and you didn't always feel like you were in full control. I don't think recent FIFA games are bad at all and they've improved significantly since the old days, but the gameplay just isn't that enjoyable to me and seems to be lacking a magic ingredient. By all accounts FIFA 13 is the same. A football game should be fun and exciting, yet realistic and rewarding. Which leads me nicely onto the main part of my review...

I haven't been this excited about a football game since PES6. I love the gameplay, and it really is streets ahead of FIFA. I'd almost forgotten how enjoyable a football game can be! Don't worry about the lack of licenses; Just download the option file from the Winning Eleven Blog, and that's all sorted.

You can create some really flowing passing moves, and the skill moves feel intuitive once you've learnt them. I'd like the step over skills to be a bit more responsive however. The ability to control your team-mates runs is a great idea, although pressing down the R3 button do do this takes a bit of getting used to at first. The new defending works really well, and is miles better than my experience with FIFA. Containing opposition players with the X button is normally your best bet. Timing a challenge well by double tapping X is really satisfying and adds a new dimension to the defending.

You can score a variety of goals from inside and outside of the box (on FIFA I find it's rare to score outside the box and most of the goals you score are the same). The ball physics are realistic and there's a really satisfying thud when the ball hits the post. One-on-ones can be quite hard to score, and usually require more than just running straight on goal and shooting. The manual passing and shooting is something I haven't fully explored yet but I expect it to add a new dimension if/when I master it. The only real gripe I have with the gameplay is that sometimes instead of attacking a through ball and knocking it on ahead to break away from the defender, your player will slow down and wait for it to nestle right at his feet, and then start running again. This breaks up the flow of an attack and results in the defender catching up with you. This only happens sometimes, and maybe I need to find a way to avoid it but the option to knock a through ball forward as you run onto it would improve the game next year. You can perform a speed burst after receiving the ball, but it's not quite the same.

Online play is also miles ahead of my experience with FIFA (there seems to be a running theme here!). I've played about 200 online matches and only a couple of people have quit on me so far. If someone quits they forfeit the match and you notch up a win by default, which stops people quitting if they're losing a few mins before the end of the game which happened to me constantly on FIFA (not sure if FIFA13 has addressed this). The only downside is that in ranking match mode most people go for the top teams, usually Real Madrid. If you come up against someone who's learnt to dribble with Ronaldo well it seems virtually impossible to tackle him most of the time.

Some reviewers have bemoaned the lack of a dedicated league mode, but fear not! Start a new master league, and choose the option to have the teams current players after you select a team, and you'll be put into the right league. For example, choose a premier league team, and you'll start off in the premier league. League games are interspersed by FA cup matches and the Champions League (if you qualify), which is brilliant as it's fully licensed, and makes the league mode really authentic. Players even get called away on international duty, and the whole football world happens around you throughout the season: It's possible to view the progress of other European leagues and World Cup qualifiers, for example. I'm only half way through my first ML season so can't comment on it in full, but the only downside is that it takes a bit of time going from match to match (the game skips through each day a second or two at a time on the calendar until you get to the next match or event). There's still the option of playing the Master League with the original konami line-up. Here you start in the Championship if you choose a premier league team, for example.

The World Cup and European Cup are also both licensed, giving you the option to either have the CPU choose a random list of teams or manually selecting which teams you want to feature.

It's a real shame so many people blindly buy FIFA every year without considering how it stacks up to the opposition. PES2013 blows FIFA out of the water this year in terms of gameplay and enjoyment. Even the licenses aren't an issue once you've downloaded the option file. On the other hand, it's a good thing that there is real competition in the football games market. If you're a PES fan, I'm sure you'll love this. If you're a FIFA fan, give it a go and I'm sure you'll love it too!

Page: 1 | 2