Profile for Paul Garbett > Reviews

Denon RCD-M39DAB Micro Component CD Receiver System - Black
Denon RCD-M39DAB Micro Component CD Receiver System - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply breathtaking!, 4 Mar 2014
I'm on my second DM39DAB - by which I mean I have two active in different rooms as well as the precursor (the DM38DAB) in the kitchen. Very easy to set up (read the manual folks), DAB ribbon aerial works fine where I am and just so neat and compact. Paired with a good set of speakers (Monitor Audio BX2 in one room, Dali Zensor 1 in the other) this is a staggeringly good piece of kit. Any music I play (jazz, world, rock, classical) sounds so much better than my separates system (25+ years old but still good) which is partly why it got retired (space & lack of 13A sockets were other considerations.

The only 'missing' feature for me is the ability to stream & Airplay built in (given Denon can do this quite well) but a small outlay on Apple kit (Apple TV which can run headless at £99 and/or an Airport Express at £79 - I have both) means that problem is solved to my satisfaction.

In summary Denon have created (or evolved more like) an ideal, compact truly hifi mini system and it is stunning. Of course the best bit is that you get all this for less than £200 (don't entertain the Denon optional speakers) leaving you clear

Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo
Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo

5.0 out of 5 stars Another illuminating insight from an increasingly grumpy Tim Parks, 3 Sep 2013
I have read Tim Parks non-fiction (Italian Neighbours, An Italian Education, A Season with Verona) with great pleasure as he continues to find ways of explaining his adopted country to those of us who only visit. This is an immensely interesting book because Tim has changed but nowhere near as much as Italy and the railways turn out to be a perfect framework upon which he can hang his deeply insightful observations and explanations of the country and the people.

His narrative is as usual funny, endearing, irritating and often leaves you gasping at the apparent contradictions in Italian society. But my particular pleasure in this book is the revelations about Italy as a country and, the best part, the increasing unwillingness of Tim to 'put up with it' - his description of his set-to with the capotreno over an online ticket had me howling with laughter - not just the situation but Tim's reaction to it (by his own admission he doesn't come out of it well at all). But for the grace of god there go I is all I can say.

Still there is a thread of a deep love for Italy and the good bits - the perfectly executed cappuccino by a young man happy in his work in a cafe being a fine example.

If you haven't read this book - you should, if you haven't read the other books I recommend them highly. I can guarantee that if you visit Italy after reading Tim's books there will be a moment when you just get why something happens and you will smile.

The Shining Girls
The Shining Girls

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Shining Girls (Kindle Edition)
I don't review that many books on Amazon on the basis that everyone has different tastes and I would be worried if someone liked everything I do. This book has forced me to the keyboard as a dire warning to anyone who believes the gushing reviews that abound.
Where do I start - well if you read the synopsis you will know the framework - time-travelling serial killer, plucky almost victim hunts him down. See if you can guess what happens bearing in mind all fictional serial killers make fatal mistakes, all plucky heroines have lucky escapes, there has to be a love story and, finally, they all live in a city of coincidences.
There I have saved you the cost of reading this rubbish - which by the way is very derivative (and not even of good books - like the author read The TIme Travellers Wife, an execrable book in itself, and thought what if he was a serial killer? The writing style is painfully shallow, the characters almost less than one-dimensional and the narrative falls apart in the last few pages. Those last few pages occue much earlier than you might think as my Kindle version had page after page of the author citing references (research - really! - don't think so).
One last thing that other reviewers have mentioned - the violence against women is despicable. bad enough that this is the 21st century but it seems the author is a woman too - she should be ashamed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 5:54 PM BST

Apple Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter cable by Neet® - (for Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air - iMac + PC with Mini DP etc. * Note: Supports new THUNDERBOLT port *) - Special Silver Edition *** WITH AUDIO ***
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - great value, 4 Nov 2012
I needed (well OK wanted) this adaptor to connect my mid-2010 MacBook Pro to a new monitor I have recently purchased. Competitors wanted obscene amounts of cash for the same thing so, based on the positive review, I ordered the NEET adaptor with some trepidation given the low price. I had no need to worry - I plugged it in, it worked & no issues.

I particularly liked the fact that NEET devoted so much effort into making absolutely sure I had selected the correct adaptor - the product information repeated it several times, the packaging had labels all over it so there really is no excuse for picking the wrong one and the bonus is that the right one just works.

Fulfilment was excellent - my need (want) was for next day delivery so I paid a fair price for that and they were true to their word.

I will certainly be looking at NEET in future for cable / adaptor requirements

Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac
Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless access to Windows on my MacBook, 30 Sep 2012
The title says it all - I've used Parallels since v6 and each release just gets better. Easy to install, very simple to use and well thought out.
Upgrading is easy and not too expensive given the wealth of new features.
I've tried other virtualisation products but Parallels for Mac is far and away the best.

AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper
Offered by elevenfirst

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed - beware if telephony important, 22 Nov 2011
I bought the Fritz!Box 7390 essentially to replace my old Linksys unit and, as far as and ADSL router with WiFI goes I can't fault it. Very, very easy to setup, a good interface packed with options and it has been rock solid since I got it. Lots of flexibility to tweak settings should you need to but it pretty much worked out of the box.

I haven't done much with the NAS yet but the (limited) inbuilt storage seems to work OK though I haven't hammered it yet.

As to the telephony side of things - well I guess it really depends on what you want to do - I registered my DECT handsets (and my iPhone with the Fritz!App) to the 7390 with no problem and calls were clear and, apart from (1) a small echo which fades and the need to add an extra ADSL filter to get rid of the hiss (a known problem and resolution), calls were OK. The only trouble is that the numbers aren't recognised or displayed - which incidentally kills the opportunity to filter or otherwise any calls. The support was prompt but ultimately unhelpful - apparently "PBXes require higher specifications to the signal quality of the analogue landline" (direct quote). This is not made clear anywhere on the specifications, in the manual or on the package so, if it was a key reason for buying I would be disappointed. It isn't so I'll dock one star.

Yet to try IP telephone and exercise the NAS in any serious way (have you seen the price of storage recently!!) but overall I'm happy with the bit I use most - the ADSL Wireless Router
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 2:45 PM GMT

Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player
Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, 4 Dec 2009
Up until today I would have given this device 4 or maybe 5 stars - it did everything it said it would with no real effort and no need to refer to any manual. (You can tell there is a but.... coming can't you?).

My unit came with the original base firmware which I successfully updated with v1.01.11 a couple of days after receiving it. All good so far and still it is a wonderful piece of kit.

Late yesterday (3/12/2009) a new firmware v1.01.12 was made available - I took it online and now I have a 100 quids worth of plastic brick.

As I write the only 'helpful' suggestion from Western Digital (and not to me but to one of the many other owners who frequent the various online forums) has been along the lines of - it is broken, get a replacement.

I can't say the device itself is bad - but if a WD sponsored critical firmware upgrade is going to render it a useful as a brick then it gets one star and only because I can't give it minus stars.

If WD come through and fix it - I'll be the first to cheer and revise my rating.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2009 1:18 PM GMT

Swissgear GA-7488-14F00 Saturn 17 Inch Laptop/Notebook Messenger Bag
Swissgear GA-7488-14F00 Saturn 17 Inch Laptop/Notebook Messenger Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 18 Jun 2008
I can't imagine why previous reviewers say a 17" laptop does not fit in this brilliant messenger bag - no problems with mine at all. I use this bag every day for work and the only problem I have is the temptation to treat it likea Tardis and keep stuffing things in. Good design, well thought out and a very sturdy build.

Wild Serenade
Wild Serenade
Offered by RAPIDisc

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild indeed - an excellent CD - but much better live, 2 Jun 2003
This review is from: Wild Serenade (Audio CD)
I am surprised that this CD has not yet received a review. I saw DuOud early in 2003 when they toured supporting Lo'Jo and they were superb. Just two guys, two ouds and a laptop computer they captivated the Edinburgh audience with some truly exciting playing. It helped that they guys were obviously having a ball playing music they loved.
The CD features more musicians and a little more emphasis on 'electronic' fiddling (hence 4 stars not 5) but serves as a great reminder of a wonderful night. There is a mix of traditional and modern tunes all delivered with great enthusiasm. I am constantly playing it and can recommend it to anyone who likes (or thinks they might like) modern roots music.