Profile for grumpyyoungwoman > Reviews

Downton Abbey Collection Blue Sapphire Filigree Bar Brooch 17565
Offered by The Purple Armadillo
Price: 16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty brooch, 12 Feb 2014
I was a bit dubious about what I thought was a very small brooch but the size was OK and the delivery was prompt as well as arriving in good condition.

It's a pretty brooch and the bar shape is something you don't really get in shops now a days

Home Cooking Made Easy
Home Cooking Made Easy
by Lorraine Pascale
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Lorraine!, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Home Cooking Made Easy (Hardcover)
I bought this book back in February and since then it has been one of the most used cookbooks in my collection. My husband and I love Lorraine's easy instructions and her recipes always work, our favourites include the Coq au Vin, Boeuf Bourginion, the Spansh lamb shanks with chorizo and Pad Thai. Recently I made the lasagne and top marks for its flavour and the fact that it stayed moist even after reheating it a few days later.

Well done Lorraine!

Backwards in High Heels: The Impossible Art of Being Female
Backwards in High Heels: The Impossible Art of Being Female
by Tania Kindersley

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not easy being a woman, 21 May 2009
I received this book as a present (after hinting) and am currently more than halfway through the book. It does not disappoint and I find it enjoyable- a wonderful antidote the the heavy academic tomes that I have to read.

Well done to Messrs Kindersley and Vine for a pradical and readable work that manages to explore the paradoxes inherent in being a modern woman.

Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
by Sophie Dahl
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise, 21 May 2009
I was initially dubious when I heard about this book as the cynic in me was thinking: "how the heck can an ex-model write about food?"

Well, Sophie Dahl has proven me wrong.

Part memoir, part recipe book. Sophie recounts her life so far through recipes and events in her life that were connected to specific foods. It's obvious that this book is a labour of love- from the whimsical illustrations, to the introdictions for each recipe, photos and high quality paper used.

Best of all with her recipes is they are simple, straight to the point and using ingredients that you can easily obtain from your corner supermarket. I'm looking forward to trying out the recipes I've marked out.

Delia's Complete How To Cook: Both a guide for beginners and a tried & tested recipe collection for life
by Delia Smith
Price: 22.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia's How to Cook- a must have, 16 May 2009
I won this book in a contest and has joined my collection of Delia's other books, Nigellas, the odd Jamie, James Martin, Ainsley and other tomes that I dip into from time to time.

I consider myself to be a competent cook but reading this has made me realise that I didn't know some of the fundamentals that came with cooking. The book is clear, easy to read complete with pictures that help you see how it is supposed to be done.

My husband & I have tried several recipes from the book and true to form- they do work.

I reocmmend this book to all food lovers and cooks be they beginner or expert.

Chatsworth Cookery Book
Chatsworth Cookery Book
by The Duchess of Devonshire
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it if only for the puddings and introduction, 13 May 2009
Many of the recipes in this book are quite daunting and indeed I do not see myself tackling most of them or will confine myself to more simple versions. Despite the shortcomings I mentioned earlier, I love this book mostly for Debo's witty prose, reminiscences of growing up as one of the Mitford sisters, later being Duchess of Devonshire and the phenomenon of what is today one of the UK's favourite stately homes- all written with food as a unifying theme.

In this book; Debo shares recipes from her mother, sisters, friends and chefs who work in Chatsworth as well as her and her husband's favourites. Having made some of the dishes in this book, my experience is they do work, especially the puddings.

I recommend this to anyone who loves history and puddings!

The Collection
The Collection
by James Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars A foodie trip of Britain with James Martin, 13 May 2009
This review is from: The Collection (Hardcover)
Received this as a pressie and was impressed by how the recipes work- his tips on Yorkshire Pudding made all the difference on my second attempt at making Toad in the Hole. I look forward to cooking more dishes out of this lovely book.

Also loved the fact that a lot of his recipes have some history and heritage behind them (being from his parents, grandparents and extended family). My only wish was at least he could have expanded on them more.

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful reading and cooking, 28 Jun 2008
I like the way Nigella writes- it's as if you're having a conversation with her. The introduction to each recipe is always good, a bit of historical information or personal anecdote that makes wonderful reading.

I've made a few dishes from "How to Eat" and I think her stews do work as well as making the best roast chicken, beef & gravy!

I would recommend the following:
Basic Roast Chicken- pp. 8-9
Chicken & Chick pea Tagine- pp. 111-2
Beef Stew w/ anchovies & thyme- pp. 112-3
Braised Pheasant w/ mushrooms & bacon- pp. 114-5 (I used chicken for this)
Chicken Stew w/ couscous- pp. 228-229
Roast beef & gravy- pp. 278-80

The 30-Minute Cook
The 30-Minute Cook
by Nigel Slater
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for fish & chicken, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: The 30-Minute Cook (Paperback)
I recived this book as a present and have enjoyed using this for quick and easy fish dishes.
Also, unlike Real Fast Food there are good chicken dishes here particularyl of the curry and Moroccan variety.

Frugal Food
Frugal Food
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 May 2008
This review is from: Frugal Food (Paperback)
Bought this recently and a week ago tried one of the recipes- spiced chicken pilau. Just like other Delia recipes that I have tried, this did not disappoint.
Her take on frugal eating and cooking is always timely but alas, her pronouncements on freezing are out of date (see How to Cheat at Cooking for updates on freezing and how technology has made it all possible).

Page: 1 | 2