Profile for Giddy Up Mikey > Reviews

Content by Giddy Up Mikey

Giddy Up Mikey (Ashland, Oregon, USA)

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
by Eckhart Tolle
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking to Attain Enlightenment Rather than what Passes for Enlightenment? Seek Not Here..., 31 Dec 2013
Well, there are some things in this book that I can certainly agree with such as the idea that nothing in the world can make you happy. But ultimately, this book is more geared towards becoming more aware in your everyday life rather than awakening from what you think of as your life. In other words, the purpose is to be able to better function and have a better experience within the illusion of time and space rather than awakening from the illusion altogether, and returning to the Home that you never really left which many refer to as God, Heaven, and/or Oneness.

This book is great at describing the problems of having negative emotions and how they can rule our minds. But the one big problem with The Power of Now is that it doesn't really address the root cause of why we have negative emotions in the first place. Furthermore, the author doesn't necessarily encourage the reader to really look at those negative emotions and examine why you have them. As the spiritual text, A Course in Miracles: Combined Volume, that the author references several times, teaches, "No one can escape from illusions unless he looks at them, for not looking is the way they are protected." On top of that, this book doesn't give you a real solution that'll free you from those negative emotions in a permanent way. There's only a temporary solution offered here because the real problem is not addressed.

What is that root cause and real problem I speak of? I'll tell you: it's an unconscious guilt for (seemingly) leaving Home aka God/Heaven. Deep down we believe we sinned against God and Heaven and we are secretly afraid of God as of a result; we wouldn't appear to be here in bodies otherwise. In fact, we "hide out" from God in these bodies and individual identities we appear to occupy here in time and space. As A Course in Miracles puts it, "Of all the many causes you perceived as bringing pain and suffering to you, your guilt was not among them."

Also, I would add that The Power of Now has some of the same flaws that I mentioned in my review that I did earlier this year of Marianne Williamson's book, Return to Love. You can find that review here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2D68S7UW1DPXP/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000VYX944&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

One of those flaws I speak of is that forgiveness is mentioned, but it doesn't really go into detail as to HOW true forgiveness is applied and accomplished. Like Williamson's book, the teaching presented is just too limited, and doesn't go deep enough. In addition, there's nothing really to discourage the vanity of your seeming individual existence. If there was, I assure you that the Eckhart Tolles and Marianne Williamsons of the world wouldn't be as popular as they are. In fact, if they were teaching what A Course in Miracles is REALLY talking about, their respective fan bases would dwindle quite considerably because the truth of the matter is that the Truth of what we really are and where we really, and how we go about returning to that awareness, is just too threatening to the ego. And as a percentage of the world's population, very few are ready for that type of teaching.

Of course it's theoretically possible to attain enlightenment by following any teaching; it's just a matter of how it's interpreted and thus applied. But by taking these New Age type of teachings at face value, your mind will remain conflicted because the teaching, just like Christianity, is conflicted, even if you're not consciously aware of it.

One example of what I am talking about, the author states, "You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are." Well, A Course in Miracles teaches that that you are NOT here and that the universe is meaningless and thus has no purpose and has nothing to do with divinity; the Course teaches that it's nothing but an hallucination. Not to mention the aforementioned statement implies an individual existence as your reality. Of course, it's possible the statement could just be a metaphor for something greater than what is being stated, but the author does not explain that if that is indeed the case.

Earlier on, the author states, "What you perceive eternally as space and time are ultimately illusory but they contain a core of truth. They are the two essential attributes of God infinity and eternity, perceived as if they had an external existence outside you." Well space and time can't be both "ultimately illusory" and "contain a core of truth." That's the equivalent of Christianity suggesting that God is both perfect Love and vengeful - you can't have it both ways. A Course in Miracles states, "The world you see is an illusion of a world. God did not create it, for what He creates must be eternal as himself." And, "It is a joke to think that time can come to circumvent eternity, which means there is no time."

Another thing about this book that doesn't work for me personally is the lack of humor. Contrary to popular belief, spirituality doesn't have to be all heavy and serious. You won't really find much in here to laugh about, and I consider myself to be quite easily amused. Thinking back to my days of studying New Age/Self-help material, I can still to this day appreciate the humor Dr Wayne Dyer inserted into his writing and audio recordings even if his spiritual message doesn't work for me anymore.

Now, I certainly don't say any of this to pass judgment on the author or on the lovers of this book. The Power of Now has obviously been helpful to many, many people along their respective spiritual journeys. The message in the book certainly has value, I'm not here to knock that. If this type of New Age teaching is working for you than you should probably stick to that; it's not everyone's time to know the truth. I'm just putting this out there for those looking to go deeper, for those feeling restless in their spirituality despite all their readings in the "spiritual buffet line" and still feeling like you have unanswered questions and that something is missing, as I once did back in the day.

The reason I read this book and am doing this review is because that many people seem to think that Tolle is teaching the same thing as Jesus in A Course in Miracles, but I'm here to say that the two shouldn't be confused as the same teaching. What Tolle is teaching here is not a "be all and end all" sort of thing whereas the thought system of A Course in Miracles, when correctly interpreted and more importantly correctly applied, is. And I know from my own personal experience that one eventually outgrows this sort of popular New Age type of teaching such as being presented in The Power of Now. This sort of teaching was certainly a necessary stepping stone on my spiritual path that's for sure, but I came to a point where it no longer served me.

I would suggest to anyone looking to go beyond the confines of New Age/Self-help thought to check out the books of Gary Renard. And then if you feel inspired to after that, explore the aforementioned spiritual text A Course in Miracles, which is the Voice of Jesus speaking as an artist correcting the Bible. Like Gary says in his first book, The Disappearance of the Universe: Straight Talk About Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgiveness, A Course in Miracles isn't "fast food spirituality." It's not a quick fix, but at the same time the Course says that by utilizing the means, the "means" being true forgiveness which takes care of the negative emotions at the level of cause instead of the level of effect, it'll save you "thousands of years." Gary's books will save you time in understanding the Course, but you still got to do the work, which takes the illusion of time to be permanently free of your negative emotions.

With the aid of Gary's books, you`ll get a correct interpretation of A Course in Miracles, a real answer and practical solution to life, rather than a watered down, limited, semi-dualistic interpretation of it which you'll find in many New Age/Self-help books, The Power of Now being one of them, that reference the Course. As it's put in Gary Reanrd's latest book, Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life, "Any attempt to remain in the present moment will fail unless certain work is done by the student. That's because there is something in the mind that prevents you from STAYING in the present moment. Most spiritualities don't even know about it, much less teach you how to have it healed. Also, the most popular teachers of A Course in Miracles don't know about it or teach you how to have it healed, because they haven't really learned the Course." And as A Course in Miracles puts it about being in the present moment, "Forgiveness is the only function meaningful in time."

The present moment that the author speaks of in The Power of Now is still within the confines of the illusion of time and space. And as A Course in Miracles teaches, "You do not belong in time. Your place is only in eternity, where God Himself placed you forever." And, "The world has never been at all. Eternity remains a constant state." Gary's books and A Course in Miracles will show you the way out of time and awaken to eternity. Those are the books I recommend for anyone looking to attain true enlightenment.

Giddy up!

~ Mike Lemieux, author of Dude, Where's My Jesus Fish?: A Compilation Highlighting the Blunt and Uncompromising Teachings of Arten and Pursah on A Course in Miracles

Dream of Atlantis: A Mystical Adventure of Soul Mate Love, Loss, Karma, & Destiny
by P. A. McAlister
Price: 6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Make a Great Movie!, 10 Dec 2013
I'm not much of a novel reader, not much of a reader at all actually, but if the ideas of time-travel and reincarnation appeal to you, this book is for you. A romantic adventure story about faith, forgiveness, and redemption. In some ways, it reminds me of the movie Somewhere in Time. Travel back to the lost continent of Atlantis and see for yourself. Giddy up!
~ Mike Lemieux, author of Dude, Where's My Jesus Fish?

A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a "Course in Miracles"
A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a "Course in Miracles"
by Marianne Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Doesn't Go Deep Enough, 28 Sep 2013
Before I get started, I should state that I don't write this review to be judgey of the author or the lovers of this book. I believe this philanthropic woman is very sincere in trying to be truly helpful, and has been by presenting ideas that meet many people where they are at with their spirituality.

With that said, however, I don't find this to be the ideal book to learn about A Course in Miracles. And as Jesus (or as I like call him, J-Dog) says in the Course, "Contrast and differences are necessary teaching aids, for by them you learn what to avoid and what to seek." And, "The Holy Spirit must teach through comparisons, and uses opposites to point to truth."

Now, I am certainly not saying that the author has nothing of value to say here, and that you should avoid this book. It's obviously been very helpful to many people in its own right over the years. And it could very well be exactly what you need for yourself right now. The author certainly has some good things to share. The problem with this book is that it doesn't really represent the true message of A Course in Miracles, which is referred to in the sub-title of this book.

What you really have here is a New Age/Self-Help, semi-dualistic interpretation of the Course, while the Course itself is a purely non-dualistic teaching by nature, meaning that God is and nothing else is. The Return to Love book speaks on the same level as the popular New Age authors whose books I studied in the mid 1990s through early 2000s, most notably Wayne Dyer and Neale Walsch. For me personally, I got to the point on my spiritual path where I outgrew that level of teaching just as everyone else will (or has) at some point. This level of teaching simply just doesn't go deep enough, even if it appears to be very enlightening.

Thus that leads to the other big problem with this book, from A Course in Miracles perspective, is that what the author has to say is geared towards changing the conscious mind and not addressing the unconscious mind, which is what REALLY runs us. Changing the conscious mind will only have a temporary, helpful impact at best. Like most of the iceberg is underneath the surface of the ocean, you can't see it; most of the mind is out of our awareness. But there is a way to get in touch with it, but you won't find that way in this book. And I know for me personally, I didn't make serious progress on my spiritual path until I started addressing the unconscious part of my mind.

On a level that we are not consciously aware of, we have this guilt buried in the mind over the seeming separation from God, what the Course refers to as the "blocks to the awareness of love's presence," and "the secret sins and hidden hates" which we must undo via the true forgiveness process outlined in the Course in order to really be free. As the Course states, "Of one thing you were sure: of all the many causes you perceived as bringing pain and suffering to you, your guilt was not among them." This unconscious guilt shows up to us symbolically in the form of all our negative emotions.

The author does talk about the importance of forgiveness, however, there is no real explanation as to what true forgiveness entails, and HOW to apply it in whatever comes up in front of your face on any given day. And leaving out the fact that all our problems are symbolic of the seeming separation from God, "A sense of separation from God is the only lack you really need correct." So the Course teaches that, "Forgiveness is the only function meaningful in time." And, "The way to God is through forgiveness here. There is no other way."

Another thing going on here with this book is that the author uses terms such as "energy"; "consciousness"; "vibration"; and such, making them out to be important and real. However, the Course says of such ideas that they are "...the domain of the ego." The Course also teaches that there is no hierarchy of illusions, "All that a hierarchy of illusions can show is preference, not reality."

Also, the author talks about God in a way that implies that God acknowledges our individual lives here on earth, and that God and the "power of the universe" are one and the same. The author even has prayers in the book that begin with "Dear God." Yet the Course teaches, "The secret of true prayer is to forget the things you think you need."

And according to the Course, there is no world, so how could God acknowledge anything happening in the world, when there isn't one. A pretty far out idea for many, I grant you that, but that is what the Course is teaching and NOT what the author is writing about in this book. And the Course doesn't just say that there is no world. It says, "There is no world! This is the central thought the Course attempts to teach." And, "Whatever is true is eternal and cannot change or be changed." The universe, therefore, is obviously not true, not of God, and has no power. The Course also says, "The world you see is an illusion of a world. God did not create it, for what He creates must be eternal as Himself. Yet there is nothing in the world you see that will endure forever."

There's barely any mention about going Home in this book, which is what the Course is ultimately all about. Even in the section called Heaven's Gate, the author goes on a political spiel instead, making the world out to be something that needs to be fixed. Yet the Course teaches that the world cannot be fixed, "There is no point in trying to change the world. It is incapable of change because it is merely an effect. But there is indeed a point in changing your thoughts about the world. Here you are changing the cause. The effect will change automatically." And the Course teaches, "This is a course in cause and not effect."

So there is no explanation on what it means to go Home, and how to go about doing that. And as the Course says, "This world you seem to live in is not home to you. And somewhere in your mind you know that this is true." And, "This world is not where you belong. You are a stranger here. But it is given you to find the means whereby the world no longer seems to be a prison house or jail for anyone." So you won't be finding the way to return to where you really belong through this book, at least not by taking it at face value. You're likely to be left with the idea it's about making your life better rather than awakening from what you think of as your life. And there's no mention of our lives being self-predetermined. Like the Course teaches, "The secret of salvation is but this: that you are doing this unto yourself."

Furthermore, there's no mention of how time and space is adjusted by the Holy Spirit and disappears for us as we perform a miracle, a miracle meaning that we apply forgiveness on whatever comes up in front of our faces on any given day. "When you perform a miracle, I will arrange both time and space to adjust to it." And, "The miracle shortens time by collapsing it, thus eliminating certain intervals within it."

The author also implies that our uniqueness, individual identity is something to be valued. Yet with the final destination of the Course being the return to Oneness, you can't have both Oneness and individual identities; it's impossible. And the Course teaches, "Forgiveness is the end of specialness." And, "You can defend your specialness, but never will you hear the Voice for God beside it."

I understand, and this is perfectly ok, that very few are ready for the real message of A Course in Miracles which is why there are so many mis-interpretations of the Course out there such as this one. The real message is just too threatening for one's ego for most people at this point in time, including many who consider themselves to be spiritually progressive when they are actually rather conservative. So, it's just a matter of what you're ready to accept, nothing wrong with that, but people shouldn't confuse this book as being the same as the Course.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel that this is a good book for people wanting to investigate new ideas and break free from the thinking of the world and the confines of organized religion, or perhaps for people who struggle with low self-esteem; this would certainly be a step in the right direction. But this book is more about "don't die with an unmet potential" or "live life to the fullest" or "become a better human" kind of a book; certainly nothing wrong with that. However, Return to Love leaves much to be desired if you're looking for a clear explanation on what A Course is Miracles is really all about; you'll just end up confused and conflicted because it's not consistent with the Course, even if you're not consciously aware of it.

Just from the Introduction piece alone the author states, "Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we have learned here." And, "We came here to co-create with God by extending love." Well, if we didn't have fear, we would not have been born into this world to begin with. In fact, the Course says, "The world was made as an attack on God. It symbolizes fear." So we're not here to co-create with God, we're not really here, we need to awaken from the belief that we are here and return to where we are a co-creator with God and the same as God, by removing the "blocks to the awareness of love's (God's) presence" via the true forgiveness process.

So if you are indeed looking for a book that puts A Course In Miracles into the everyday vernacular, without compromising on the integrity of its message, I would highly recommend The Disappearance of the Universe: Straight Talk about Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgivenessby Gary Renard. It explains A Course in Miracles like nothing else does, and is the only book (along with his follow up book, Your Immortal Reality: How to Break the Cycle of Birth and Death) I've ever read on spirituality that made total sense to me from cover to cover, and left me with no unanswered questions.

Gary's books are the real deal when it comes to the Course, you many not like everything said, and it may downright piss you off, but you will get the straight up truth, no sugarcoating, and no being told what you necessarily want to hear. Like it states, "As with Jesus' teachings of 2,000 years ago, the world is attempting to do its usual job of obliterating the truth by incorporating parts of it into its illusions and covering over the real message of the Holy Spirit. We won't leave out the ideas you don't like. If you resist them or don't want to accept them after you hear them then that's your decision, but at least it won't be because you weren't told."

Giddy up!

Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hard Core, Straight Up Truth, & My Very Favorite Book on Earth!,, 28 Sep 2013
In my many years of studying spirituality and metaphysics during my days as a spiritual seeker, this was the first book I read that made total sense to me from cover and cover, and left me with no unanswered questions. Herein is the hardcore truth for those are who ready to accept it. If you're not ready, that's perfectly all right; this path isn't for the masses, at least not at this point in time.

The author, Gary Renard, is actually the student in this book. His two teachers, Arten and Pursah, and who are considered to be two ascended masters, appeared to Gary to present ideas of advanced spirituality to him as Jesus teaches them in the spiritual text known as A Course in Miracles. This Disappearance book contains many concepts that you may not agree with, and some you may find down right offending, so it definitely requires an open mind. Gary's two teachers present to him the truth of our existence, and that what we are experiencing here is not really life, but just an insignificant dream. Of course, the idea that the universe in of itself being an insignificant dream is of little value so they give us a practical way of dealing with what the world throws in our face on any given day, as we go about living what we think of as our lives. And not only does the practical advice given - a process called "true forgiveness" - actually works, but it's the way back home to God.

The Disappearance of the Universe can be summed up with the following two quotes; the first quote from A Course in Miracles, followed by a quote from Disappearance: "Those who seek controversy will find it. Yet those who seek clarification will find it as well." And, "The most striking evidence of this approach's validity will be that it works." I can assure you that it does work, if you are willing to apply it. I love this book so much that I'm currently reading it for the 15th time. No such thing as too much repetition when it comes to taking in the truth, as it just sinks in on a deeper level each read through, which makes it that much easier to remember to apply it when need be, which of course is the most important part.

Anyway, this is by far my favorite book ever, as it puts the teachings of A Course in Miracles into "street language." This book even inspired me to do my own book based on the Disappearance book as well as Gary's second book, Your Immortal Reality: How To Break The Cycle Of Birth And Death, which I also highly recommend. Giddy up!

~ Mike Lemieux author of Dude, Where's My Jesus Fish?: A Compilation Highlighting the Blunt and Uncompromising Teachings of Arten and Pursah on A Course in Miracles

Your Immortal Reality: How To Break The Cycle Of Birth And Death
Your Immortal Reality: How To Break The Cycle Of Birth And Death
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More Hard Core, Straight Up Truth, and My 2nd Favorite Book on Earth!, 28 Sep 2013
Your Immortal Reality is the follow up book to Gary Renard's classic, The Disappearance of the Universe: Straight Talk About Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgiveness. This book contains a condensed recap of the teachings presented in Disappearance; Gary shares more of his forgiveness opportunities and Arten and Pursah of course do their usual thing of reminding Gary (and us) what it is all for; and Gary's teachers bring clarity to the non-sense and controversy surrounding the editing of A Course in Miracles. Additionally, Gary's teachers compare the thought system of A Course in Miracles to that of some of the New Age models, which I found particularly helpful as it tied up some loose ends for me that I was still feeling conflicted about, during my time as a truth seeker when I first read this book back in 2007.

Thanks to this book, and the aforementioned Disappearance book, my days as a spiritual seeker are now over. I found what I've been waiting for my whole life, but could only accept this message when I was ready for it. In the 1990s and early 2000s, I would have been like, "What the hell is this?" Anyway, there is nothing more to intellectually learn now, just a matter of being able to master the application of true forgiveness which is what this is all about, and the only meaningful thing we can do while we appear to be here. Giddy up!

Secrets of the Immortal
Secrets of the Immortal
by Gary Renard
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 48.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love this Gary character - he really sticks to the Course!,, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Secrets of the Immortal (Audio CD)
I love this Secrets of the Immortal program, which is appropriately subtitled Advanced Teachings from A Course in Miracles, as it is VERY advanced stuff. If reading is not your thing, you can get in your Disappearance of the Universe/Your Immortal Reality/ACIM fix while driving, or upload the material to your digital device of choice, and listen while walking or running or what have you. There's about eight hours worth of material here so it'll keep you going for a while.

For me, I love this CD series so much that I have listened to this material too many times to count, as I went through a three period where I spent a good part of the day half-listening to them while sitting at my desk at work. No such thing as too much repetition when it comes to hearing the absolute truth about our existence.

Also, something Gary says on the first CD that inspired the sub-title for my book. He said that if you're ever going to write a book, make sure that it has a long sub-title because it'll make it look like you did a lot. So, I took Gary's advice to heart on that one. Giddy up!

Mike Lemieux, author of Dude, Where's My Jesus Fish? A Compilation Highlighting the Blunt and Uncompromising Teachings of Arten and Pursah on A Course in Miracles

Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life
Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life

5.0 out of 5 stars The First REAL Review!, 28 Sep 2013
I had the honor and privilege of checking out Gary Renard's long anticipated 3rd book, Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life, this past summer. Here's my review for it. The book is set to be released on October 8th. Enjoy!

In Gary Renard's third book, Love Has Forgotten No One: The Answer to Life, Arten and Pursah are back with their very outspoken yet very sincere approach to the pure non-dualistic and non-compromising principles of A Course in Miracles, reminding the reader that he or she is never a victim, that the world is not your home and God has nothing to do with any of it, and that the application of true forgiveness is the only solution to all your perceived problems.

In addition to his usual talks with Arten and Pursah, Gary also gets to chat face to face with two of Jesus' disciples from 2000 years ago, Thomas and Thaddaues, who share a bit of their experience and forgiveness lessons during that time period. Additionally, Gary very candidly shares with all of us many of his personal forgiveness lessons he's endured since the release of his first two books - likely much to his chagrin as the chapter titled "Lessons of Gary" is the longest one in the book!

Also in Love Has Forgotten No One, Arten and Pursah explain to us what happens when you die. They also talk about healing modalities or "bones for the ego" on the level of form that may be helpful to you in your healing while applying true forgiveness into your everyday life. The events of September 11, 2001 are also discussed herein (but don't expect the mainstream news media version.) And it wouldn't be a complete book if Arten and Pursah didn't give us a little tease as to what to expect in the future here on "psycho planet."

Of course, it's never Arten and Pursah's intent to discuss the aforementioned topics to make them real, but to point out that they are to be used as forgiveness opportunities so you can break free from the world and go Home. At the same time, they reinforce the idea that the Holy Spirit's message is never about giving anything up physically, but about releasing our psychological attachment to it all, and that it's totally appropriate to do normal human things while enjoying what the world has to offer us on our way to becoming enlightened.

With Gary's prior books, The Disappearance of the Universe and Your Immortal Reality, being my personal favorites ever, 1A and 1B respectively, naturally Love Has Forgotten No One is 1C for me. As Arten and Pursah say in this gem of a book in regards to this world, "God didn't bring you to it, but the Holy Spirit will see you through it." Giddy up!