Profile for M. Emerson > Reviews

Content by M. Emerson

M. Emerson "mr_emerson" (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Depth Charge vs. Silver Fox
Depth Charge vs. Silver Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked gem, 30 Dec. 2013
Never understood how J Saul Kane and Depth Charge were so slept on. Treat yourself to something that was so far ahead of its time we still haven't caught up with it yet.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C (2 x FRONT screen protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars The only protector I use, 18 Dec. 2013
I've used this product for my iPhone 3G, 4s and now 5s. They can't be beaten. The product is great and I've had delivery within 24 hours each time. Outstanding.

566 Frames
566 Frames
by Dennis Wojda

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: 566 Frames (Paperback)
Bored of X-Men, Wolverine, Superman and the endless Hollywood hype about the films? You probably think you've fallen out of love with comics - I did. Then you find a little beauty like this which makes you laugh and cry and have an interest in a proper story with a human element.

I Hate Your Guts
I Hate Your Guts
by Jim Norton

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate was never so lovely, 19 May 2013
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Paperback)
Certain names and details may be lost on a limey like myself but the zest with which Norton writes is truly international. If you're unaware of his style of humour I'd suggest you hit youtube first instead of being shocked by the humour and embarrassing yourself by whining about it in a review.

Play Something Dancy: 1
Play Something Dancy: 1
by Dee Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you want and more, 19 May 2013
For those who look at Dee and Lance as the Batman and Robin of podcasting (and let's be honest, who doesn't?) this is the Year One of the series - the solo adventures of our caped crusader through the seedy underbelly of strip clubs and gentlemen's establishments. Role on Volume 2 and the origin of Lance.

Comedy and Error: They Really Were Marvellous Times
Comedy and Error: They Really Were Marvellous Times
by Simon Day

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 14 July 2012
I've always enjoyed Simon Day's comedy and the fact he's a South East Londoner was a bonus. This book is a fascinating insight into not only his own youth but that of many SE Londoners over the years. It name checks many famous local landmarks and faces and shows how Day overcame many personal problems and created a few problems for himself. This is not a "pity me" book - but an honest appraisal of a life that veered from one extreme to another. You're getting comedy, drama and personal insight all in one - a fantastic read that will make you appreciate the man a little more. Thanks Simon - I appreciated your honesty throughout the book - great read.

70s STYLE Retro LED Watch 2013 Super Bright Vintage Style Chrome Silver Digital TX08 Red Multi function
Offered by Aviator Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars What an AMAZING 70s style watch, Nirvana of Cool....., 10 Feb. 2012
My dad had a watch like this in the late 70s. It's maybe even cooler now being that it's got some modern technology inside to keep it stable and working. The same red vintage style retro face but this is top quality, built to last and fun at the same tme, I just got my favourite watch and maybe I'll get another style too!

Baby Annabell Care for Me Doll
Baby Annabell Care for Me Doll
Offered by SKYWISH

1.0 out of 5 stars A hit with the kids but not parents?, 22 Jan. 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I'm really confused with this product - it looks and feels realistic and durable but on closer inspection I am too concerned to fully test it. You are meant to be able to bathe/bath this doll and there is a sensor around the bottom which activates responses when wet - however 5 - 6cm from the bottom of the doll is the on/off switch and the battery compartment, neither of which seem to have waterproofing. When I replaced the batteries there was no rubber seal or coating which would suggest this could withstand anything other than the smallest depth of water.

I'm not willing to risk gambling and ending up with an inactive doll so this toy stays away from the water for now. Also I'd like to confirm the other problem - the baby may have soft feeling skin but underneath the surface is a body harder than Stallone. If your three year old can bench-press their own weight they may be able to activate the sounds/vibrations but our little girl makes do with just dressing and undressing this dolly in silence.

Yes, it looks the part and yes, my daughter was overjoyed but as a hard-working parent with limited disposable income I feel a bit cheated that the promises made are a bit questionable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 11:11 AM GMT

Magic Blackout
Magic Blackout
Offered by DIRECT 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, in theory...., 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Magic Blackout (Baby Product)
I've waited a few weeks to review this product as I wasn't convinced these sheets would stand the test of time.

The sheets are already on a roll that has perforations allowing you to rip off one piece at a time. The first problem is cutting the sheets to size. It is an exact science otherwise sunlight leaks in the sides. If you over compensate then then the sheets don't lie flat.

We needed a good fit as these were for my two year old#s bedroom - once I'd cut the sheets to size (I ended up with four squares to cover two standard windows) they did the job well. The only problem was that the static charge went after only a few days (3 - 4 days). The manual and website claim that by rubbing with nylon or putting on a TV screen you can "recharge" the sheets - that's just not correct. You may get a temporary boost but they never regain full static charge. Also - leaving open the air vent on my daughters window seemed allow a very slight breeze which then pushed the blinds off of the window.

I've had to replace and cut to size three more times so once I've used this roll up I will return to a traditional curtain. The last thing you need is for one of these to come down at 5am on a summer morning and wake up a toddler who then cannot get back to sleep.

A nice idea but that static charge soon fades.

My Monthly Curse - A Personal Comic Book History
My Monthly Curse - A Personal Comic Book History

5.0 out of 5 stars A survivor's tale, 7 Aug. 2011
Hall's experiences in the comic "industry" have been waiting to be told for a long time. I was first aware of him through Comics International and even at that stage he had experienced more than one person should. I've followed him through his vastly underrated BORDERLINE project and then seen him exit the world of comics. Where most people would've picked up an AK47 he picked up a pen and documented his experiences in a tale that covers comedy, tragedy and ultimately ascension to an enlighted viewpoint.

If you've ever attended a comic shop to pick up the weekly imports, or attended a convention or a comics mart - then you'll relate to the familar world of oddballs and trolls. If you've ever worked hard in a job that doesn't repay you - you'll relate to his struggles and successes.

And those of you still in the industry - let's be honest - for a price that reasonable it's got to be worth a purchase just to make sure he hasn't mentioned YOU :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5