Profile for SL Malmstrom > Reviews

Content by SL Malmstrom

SL Malmstrom "D L Exicreader" (Uk Surrey)

Skying
Skying

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to Loose, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Skying (MP3 Download)
The wide lens The Horrors adopted has been widened to great effect here, a couple of foot tappers nestle perfectly in between the loose groove laden, 'baggy*' sounding tunes.

On Primary Colours our jaws collectively dropped when we first heard the motorbike drums and MBV guitars on Sea within sea and Mirrors Image respectively, The Horrors proved they were more than a great record collection and a haircut.

Never thought I'd say this but this band might have made my Lp of the summer,the unpredictable British weather is playing to this bands favour,this is good because somewhere in here this bands music in the future might be anything other than predictable.

*A lazy term I know,I could have mentioned The Charlatans,Happy Monday's and 'Madchester' maybe even Simple Minds.

Brain Thrust Mastery
Brain Thrust Mastery
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 April 2008
This review is from: Brain Thrust Mastery (Audio CD)
Have kind of avoided these in the past, but loved there singles "Nobody move"
etc. After Hours sneaked into my consciousness. Leathal Enforcer is an 80s treat that buys its way in by being a great tune, Cant wait for the third LP,x s

Too Much Too Young - Live
Too Much Too Young - Live
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A great (live) insight into the best band this country has produced., 11 April 2008
I suppose this is what it would have been like at one of their gigs,i picked this this up for a few quid at a supermarket years back and its one of my faves. Live LPs are usually a once, twice maybe three time trinket for the band, but if your getting into The Specials pick this up and let it guide you .
you probs already have it if your a Special fan, and you probs bought were i did. xs

Oracular Spectacular
Oracular Spectacular

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to marry this LP and im a hype hater, 22 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
Lets say for arguments sake that ten records a year get hyped a year, and after a while like a pushy child badgering there mother for the latest gaming console you get ground down down down and purchase the album by The Chief Stroking Monkey Future Stripes Party (insert relevant band here) And you like it allot, and wish youd listened to your girlfriend when she was declaring her undying love for said band rather then you.

Now ive only listened to half this LP (WTS for the second half) but what an amazing first half, it utterly seduces you into it, and you forget about any other band you've ever heard apart from Bowie and the Kinks and Boards of Canada. I cant remember the last time ive been aurally slapped round the chops by a recording. maybe Portishead ? ?

If this LP were a woman id be having wild unbridled unprotected sex with her and not care about my girls feelings probably because shed slept with it weeks back.

How this sound would transcribe live is a different story id love to find out,but for the moment i really don't care. Back to the hype hating then, so where you 'may' have ben let down by the likes Arcade Fire,too majestic too pompous Or Radiohead, grandiose sometimes too serious. You would invite this LP too your party, you would let this LP take you to parties and this LP will be the silver lining on your British summer, it will reflect the rain is what i'm saying.

Two other points of interest(for me at least).

1 I love the title of this LP because it lives up to its claims

2 I now know what oracular means and for that minute detail i thank you.
xs

Idealism
Idealism
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link betwen Daft Punk and The Cure, 19 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Idealism (Audio CD)
If your missing the brilliance of Daft Punks 'Homework' but dont mind a bit of a choros once in a blue moon then this is for you.

Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and Other Short Stories [CD + DVD]
Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers and Other Short Stories [CD + DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss, 8 Feb. 2007
I got this LP just out of general curiousity and someone got it for a birthday pressie for me.

There are a handfull of amazing songs on here particularly Oedipus and love affair but after Mary Anne found myself skipping to Us.

I think with Begin to Hope(latest LP) she has made something more accessable but without loseing the ecentricitys of this(mary ann meets...) and with more conventional

song structure.

I saw her live last year and she blew me away too!

My Legendary Girlfriend
My Legendary Girlfriend
by Mike Gayle

3.0 out of 5 stars I was about 6 yrs too old for this book, 2 Jan. 2007
I was reading this book when i was travelling aroung Europe alone in 2005 and for that it was ok, but the main character i just want'ed to punch... great book to read when your single and really makes you feel good about the fact you are single...

Bar that its a nice bit of fluff, But check out 'Louise Weners' 'Goodnight Steve McQueen' It does this better and with more laughs.

x s