Profile for D. Berkeley > Reviews

Content by D. Berkeley

D. Berkeley "sirdanthethird" (Wigton, Cumbria)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Heaven in Your Eye, Earth on Your Heart
Heaven in Your Eye, Earth on Your Heart
by Steve Donald

5.0 out of 5 stars Be in the World but not of it, 9 Oct. 2014
Dallas Willard in his book renovation of the heart sets out steps that we can take as humans to re-order the way we think about and live our lives so that we can get ready for glory. Heaven in your Eye, Earth on your Heart, aims to show us why this is so difficult, and then goes ahead to give practical advice on how to go about running the difficult race that is the Christian life. The book draws upon the teachings of the Puritans (the historical Puritans, not in the sense of 'joyless' that we now associate with the word Puritan), to show us that if we want to be of help to the world we actually need to set our eyes on heaven, not to the exclusion of the world of course, not to lock ourselves away, but to focus on what the ultimate end of the Christian life is. A runner starting a race fixes his eyes on the finish, but nowadays the modern church so rarely does this. This book shows us why it is so important to think about heaven, to talk about heaven, and to preach about heaven in our churches. Heaven is the prize, and although the journey is important the Puritans show us that 'we get Earth thrown in' if we fix our eye on heaven. We are called to be in the world but not of it, this book gives practical and personal guidance on how this can acheived. The author's personality comes through the book is very readable.

Vol. 5 Lost At Home
Vol. 5 Lost At Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Best melodic metalcore album I've ever heard, from a band no one has heard of, 9 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Vol. 5 Lost At Home (Audio CD)
Seriously, not a bad song on this album. When I first heard this I thought I'd discovered a new up and coming band that had just managed to create possibly the greatest melodic metalcore album I'd ever heard. I was amazed to find this is actually their 5th album! This band from Portugal should be far more well known over in Britain. Highlight of the album is Feed the Caskets - but all the songs are great.

Standard melodic metalcore style, just done fantastically well. Expect breakdowns, brutal screams juxtaposed with clean vocal choruses, brain melting drum fills and skull splitting double bass.

Just go ahead and buy it. I discovered this through spotify being recommended to fans of Bury Tommorrow, completely agree with this recommendation. A tour with both these bands would be 100% awesome.

The Bull At The Gate: 2 (Torc of Moonlight)
The Bull At The Gate: 2 (Torc of Moonlight)
by Linda Acaster

5.0 out of 5 stars book of the year so far!, 14 Jun. 2014
Mystery and multiple twists in a wonderfully written tale by a first rate author. Loved the fact there are some links to the old history (especially Roman!) of York as well. Book of the year so far!

The Union of Crowns
The Union of Crowns

5.0 out of 5 stars British Metalcore, 20 July 2013
This review is from: The Union of Crowns (Audio CD)
This arrived at the same time as the new August Burns Red album, and a selection of beardcore from Four Year Strong. A quality delivery from the postman it was. However, this is by fast the most played of the albums that arrived on that awesome day.

I first saw Bury Tomorrow when they played a subheadliner set at my local toilet venue in Carlisle, the material was from their first album and the set was brutal with the most violent pit I've ever seen - people literally just hitting each other in the face, it was crazy. I got kicked in the hand during Casting Shapes and couldn't write for two weeks, which as a GP was a bit of a pain really. Anyway, that didn't stop me appreciating what an exciting new prospect this up and coming UK metal band were.

So, the new album. Even better than Portraits. There is no song quite like Casting Shapes, the nearest is Sceptres - its a bit less metal-core, they are clearly trying to broaden their appeal - but don't worry there are still a tonne of breakdowns and bass drops. As another reviewing mentioned its actually their clean vocals which make them stand out. Unlike early DWP the clean brutal alternation works really well without being cheesy here, probably because I would happily listen to the clean vocals alone if this was another band - the singing is actually very good, not cheesy and doesn't sound that American (they are British). The brutal vocals are as you would imagine, brutal. Its also nice to listen to a band whose drummer can teach you a few things too. I also really like the djenty guitars, really deep booming sound.

Best songs are The Maiden, Lionheart, An Honourable Reign, Knight Life, Bitemarks, Royal Blood, Abdictation of Power, 1603, Kingdom, and Sceptres.

That's pretty much all the songs.

Just to make it clear the new ABR album is amazing as well, its just that this is better.

British Metal gets better and better. In terms of making comparisons for people who don't want to have a quick listen on youtube to see if they like this then, it's a British Parkway Drive.

Fashionably Late
Fashionably Late

1.0 out of 5 stars i just sicked a bit in my mouth, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Fashionably Late (Audio CD)
Well, sadly my soul never fully recovered from being raped by the first falling in reverse album. An album I was seriously looking forward to, but when the polished turd that was the drug in me is you dropped through the letter box, I quickly discovered it's true colours (see review).

So, it was with a mixture of fear and trepidation that I set about listening to the latest release from white on the outside, black on the inside, Radke. I can sum the album up in one word, faecalant. I guess dying is your latest fashion is far back in Ronnie's memory these days, but if that album had a soul then it is crying and bleeding somewhere.

To be honest metal itself should be crying here, and really I'm surprised their instruments don't actually rise up against them and brutally sodomise them to death on stage. I'd actually pay to watch that, certainly rather than spend money watching Radke rapping. Rap and metal do not mix, this is just stupid. No matter how much Radke loves himself, it's just not going to rub off on me, I'm going to judge this on the music, and this is worse than brokencyde. Seriously, that awful.

The best of it is, that it seems I'm not alone in my unadulterated hatred of this rap infused, urine flavoured synth filled, fowl personality disorder attitude rammed, steaming lump of detritus that sadly passes as an album these days. Read Winston McCall from parkway drive's review of the album on Kerrang, where having been asked if he likes it he simply laughs and walks away. This is not just an insult to metal, it's an insult to music. Sadly teenage girls who love the misogynistic Radke for some inexplicable reason, will buy this in droves. And pour hate on this review.

So in summary, if you like rap, an annoying white guy with 'swagger' who thinks he can rap, boring breakdowns (i love a good breakdown, but these are horrendous), terrible synth work, and parting with a tenner to buy human faeces then buy this, buy it now! Or just wait for the new a day to remember album, in fact just wait for that.

Escape the fate is dead. It all ended with dying is your latest fashion. Neither new escape the fate, or falling on reverse have any interest in continuing in that sort of vain. They didn't even have the heart to sell out gracefully.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2013 6:00 PM BST

THE COMPLETE BEGINNER`S GUIDE TO ACCOUNTANCY: DOUBLE - ENTRY BOOKKEEPING         BUDGETTING         AND  COST  MANAGEMENT
THE COMPLETE BEGINNER`S GUIDE TO ACCOUNTANCY: DOUBLE - ENTRY BOOKKEEPING BUDGETTING AND COST MANAGEMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars hmrc are going to start owing me a lot more money, 11 May 2013
So, I'm employed and part self employed. I'll admit I never really took the book keeping of my writing business seriously, really because I didn't know what I should be doing.

This book has no fluff, it just gets down to business and shows you what you should be doing. I am much more confident now with the accountancy aspect of my self employment and also with the partnership aspects of my day job as a doctor.

Highly recommended, the author knows what you need to know and teaches it well and concisely in a friendly way.

Luminous Life: A New Model of Humanistic Psychotherapy
Luminous Life: A New Model of Humanistic Psychotherapy
by Partha Choudhury

5.0 out of 5 stars get your life in order, 28 Dec. 2012
This is an interesting take on one model of psychotherapy, essentially a self help book, this title aims to teach you how to get your thoughts in order.

It takes the various elements of your life, social, cultural, spiritual etc and gives 'modules' on the areas. These modules help you consider how this element of your life affects your mental health and tries to give you a new perspective on it.

I learnt that I don't give enough thought about my parents, I'll now be calling them more.

Thanks!

Millennium of Miracles
Millennium of Miracles
by Partha Choudhury

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and accessable, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Millennium of Miracles (Paperback)
I'm not normally a big fan of poetry, but having stumbled upon this collection of short thoughts about life, the universe, and everything I feel compelled to reconsider my position.

All of these poems have a connection with Life, different themes running through each converge into an exposition of what it is to be human.

One highlight is Quest, which I feel is looking at how there are many ways to look towards 'enlightenment' be that through science, religion or creativity.

Hope there will be a second book.

I Loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created
I Loved I Hated I Destroyed I Created

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 11 Dec. 2012
This album feels like standing on a safe ship sailing into the distance, whilst watching the city you have just left crumble into nothingness slowly and sink into the sea behind you. It is awe inspiringly epic, beautiful and barren. It is the audio equivalent of watching the film 'The Grey', bleak, but somehow wonderfully uplifting. Listen to it in the dark, with your eyes closed, it feels like the album was somehow written 'just for you'.

Completely stunning.

The Drug In Me Is You
The Drug In Me Is You

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Drug In Me Is You (Audio CD)
First things first I really did want to like this.

I really enjoyed the Escape the Fate EP and their first album but never really liked where they went with their second and third albums. I, like many, put this new direction down to Ronnie leaving the band. So when he finally got out of prison and was going to release a new album with a new band this was a must have pre-order. I wasn't expecting a rerun of the 1st Escape the Fate album, but I was expecting to see another continuation of that sound, hopefully going in a direction I enjoyed more than where Escape the Fate have been going.

I am so dissapointed.

The album opens with the best song, the single Raised By Wolves which has been going around youtube and FIR's facebook page for the last month or two. Its a pretty good song, would have been one of the worst on Dying is Your Latest Fashion - The first Escape the Fate album, but still better than anything on ETF's last two albums. What I hadn't realised is it is by far the best song on this album and not representative of the content of this album as a whole. So where are the problems? Firstly the musicianship is generally dreadful throughout, I wasn't expecting Between the Buried and Me level of musicality but this really is poor it has to be said. Still, you'd think that the vocals would be good wouldn't you, given its Ronnie?

Well. He still sounds the same, tehcnically I don't think he is actually that good a singer but I really like his voice actually and that sort of broken whine really worked well with ETF's type of music. The main problem here is the lyrics. Frankly they are so embaressingly bad I don't think I could make anyone I know listen to this album as it would make my face burn. I thought it was a bit puerile when he was mocking his old band ETF in Raised by Wolves, and this theme is of course continued (in some places quite funny, although he just sounds desperate really and a bit upset that he isn't still in that band). But songs like 'Tragic Magic' and 'Good Girls Bad guys' just have some terrible lines in there and no musicality to fall back on. I know bands that have awful lyrics but are so good muscially you don't care, but there is nothing here at all. Even the promising intro to 'Don't mess with Ouija boards' that sounds for a just a second like maybe this is going to be another 'My Apocalypse' or 'There's no sympathy for the dead' from their first album, quickly collapses into a mediocre pile of boring breakdowns circa 2005 that I could drum for goodness sake! Where is the inventiveness?? These guys need to listen to something really good like 'Leveller' by 'August Burns Red' where they are moving forwards without forgetting about the past. This album on the other hand has no relationship to old Escape the Fate, but also offers nothing new. Its shameful.

Sorry to say it, but this album actually raped my soul. I am angry, dissapointed and will sell it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3