Profile for Book Worm > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Buy Whole Foods Organic Broccoli Seeds 500 g
Buy Whole Foods Organic Broccoli Seeds 500 g
Price: 12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to grow, great value for money and packed full of antioxidants., 16 Jan 2014
Excellent quality seeds, which sprout within 3 days on my south-west facing kitchen window-sill in glass sprouting jars. Rinsed three times a day, one dessert-spoon of seeds produces half a pint of delicious nutrient-dense sprouted broccoli.

In summary, the seeds are easy to grow, very good value for money and packed full of antioxidants.

Heritage Womens Sterling Silver Celtic Trinity Knot Stud Earrings 4223HP
Heritage Womens Sterling Silver Celtic Trinity Knot Stud Earrings 4223HP

1.0 out of 5 stars Discoloured within couple of months of daily wear :(, 5 Feb 2013
Beautiful stainless steel shiny sheen when brand new, but unevenly discoloured to a bronze-colour within couple of months of daily wear! :(

Will pay more for white gold ear rings in a few weeks, when original colour completely gone...

I would definitely not buy these as a gift for someone, the recipient may be too embarrassed to mention the discolouration after only a few months...!

Vax TurboTool
Vax TurboTool
Offered by Exserve Ltd
Price: 17.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Turbo tool... stopped working after 3 months :(, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Vax TurboTool (Kitchen & Home)
Like an earlier reviewer (Andrew Marson "marsonpee"), I found this tool to be a useful accessory until it stopped working after approximately 3 months. I too noticed it had become blocked with fluff and stopped working. I too carefully took it apart, carefully unblocked it and carefully re-assembled it but to no avail. Good job my old vacuum cleaner still works and is used for fabrics & upholstery...

Remington HC5030 Performer Hair Clipper
Remington HC5030 Performer Hair Clipper
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Remington HC5030 Performer Corded Hair Clipper, 1 Dec 2011
After researching hair clippers, I selected the reasonably-priced Remington HC5030 (corded) hair clipper as a replacement for my knackered 10 year old Remington HC810 clippers.

My only pre-purchase reservation was the reviewer-reported flimsiness of the combs. Having thick unruly hair, I felt sure the combs would break in a matter of a few years, but my old Remington was too blunt and painful to use, leaving little option but to replace it.

I was elated to discover the sturdy combs on my ancient HC810 fitted the new HC5030! The combs on the new HC5030 are made of a light-grade & flexi-plastic, compared with the heavy-grade sturdy plastic of the old combs. The flexi-plastic HC5030 combs wouldn't have lasted long with my hair!

I was also elated at how effortlessly, quietly & quickly the HC5030 took care of my unruly mop!

I can recommend this model for folk with thick hair but to also buy (probably for peanuts on Ebay) discontinued-model, spare-part combs (the HC810 combs fit perfectly).

I avoided buying a more convenient cordless model in the belief that cordless models would not be able to maintain consistent high-power through the clippers, that thick hair demands.

Overall, an excellent purchase.

Vax U89-MAF2-R Air Force 2 Reach Multi Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U89-MAF2-R Air Force 2 Reach Multi Cyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 129.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Vax U89-MAF2-R Bagless Upright (downgraded from 4 to 2 stars), 3 Sep 2011
April 2012 UPDATE:
After nearly 8 months of daily use of this Vax upright cleaner, it's only used on the carpets upstairs :(

Since I can't face carrying this super heavyweight & down the stairs, it's only used upstairs... and stays upstairs!

It frequently clogs up with with compacted dust, fluff & pet hair... which means having to dismantle the machine to de-clog it with a sturdy toothbrush and my old clapped-out Miele cylinder cleaner!

The Turbo Tool stopped working after about 3 months, so I can't even use the Vax to vacuum the stairs... I'm really glad that I didn't throw out my old cleaner!

Needless to say, I'm back in the market for a lighter, quieter, bagless, cylinder cleaner that can effortlessly deal with short pet hair!
=============================================================================================================

This Vax looks both elegant and contemporary and was easy to unpack. The User Guide is short, simple-to-understand and mostly comprised of helpful illustrations. This meant the vacuum cleaner was ready to use in under a minute! I liked the long cable (30 feet), which meant that I avoided the irritation of having to constantly plug and unplug as I vacuumed.

LAMINATE & TILED FLOORS
Using the hard-surface setting, it effortlessly sucked up the daily load of fur hair shed from our 2 large mastiff dogs from the laminate & tiled floors. Having only ever used cylinder vacuum cleaners, I found it quite difficult to move it around corners. People used to upright vacuum cleaners may not have this difficulty. After two weeks, I'm finding it a little bit easier to manoeuvre around corners, but still find it to be a little too heavy.

It is very unforgiving with sucking up larger bits of debris, which quickly jam the brush mechanism. A jammed brush means having to stop, open up the brush mechanism and unjam the brush. I quickly learnt not vacuum rope strands longer than an inch and debris items larger than a penny!

PET BEDS
The dogs short fur usually takes as long to clean from their thick nylon mattress-beds, as vacuuming the whole house. I was very pleasantly surprised at how effortlessly the Turbo Tool accessory sucked up all traces of fur in a single stroke :)

CARPETED STAIRS
The Vax quickly transformed our old mud-stained stair-carpets into their natural clean-looking beige. Cleaning the stairs was effortless - the vacuum cleaner stayed at the foot of the stairs, while the spring-coiled hose & Turbo Tool gradually extended all the way to the top of the stairs, as I vacuumed.

CARPETS
Using the soft-surface setting, I was amazed at how much fluff and dust was removed from the upstairs beige carpets. This Vax quickly restored the original light beige colour of the carpets and has removed the need to replace the carpets :)

SUMMARY
This MachAir Force2 Vax is extremely effective at cleaning carpets, stairs, hard floors and pet hair but my husband complains that the motor is far too noisy. I would have given this excellent vacuum cleaner full marks if it was lighter in weight, less noisy and had a retractable cable mechanism.

60cm Plain Black Dog Collar
60cm Plain Black Dog Collar
Offered by Purely Pet Supplies
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant black leather dog collar, 22 Aug 2011
Koko leather dog collars are made of soft leather, have a non-fussy style and look elegant on my two large dogs. The leather remains soft even after being rained on and the sheen persists almost 9 months after buying the first collar (occasional beeswax rubbed onto the external leather surface keeps both collars looking almost new). Having wasted so much time and money on buying leather and nylon dog collars (including the popular brands), this is the brand I will be sticking with.

Parcel Tape Dispenser Gun Large Core
Parcel Tape Dispenser Gun Large Core
Offered by SHINE_UMBRELLA
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars TAPE DISPENSER/PISTOL GRIP, 15 April 2010
I wish I had bought it sooner! Excellent product. Easy to insert tape, good handle grip and dispenses tape smoothly. Definitely a good buy.

Casio Collection Watch W-42H-1AVHUF
Casio Collection Watch W-42H-1AVHUF
Offered by SuStuu
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Digital Watch W-42H-1AVHUF, 15 April 2010
Great price for a nice digital watch that does the job! Can't ask for much more.

Karrimor Unisex Rubber Wellington Boots
Karrimor Unisex Rubber Wellington Boots

1.0 out of 5 stars Karrimor Unisex Rubber Wellington Boots, 26 Mar 2010
UPDATE: Sadly, 3 weeks of daily wear has resulted in splits along the toe and heel seams. It's a great shame because they are extremely comfortable for daily dog walks. The super-flexibility of the rubber needs to be slightly decreased to prevent this problem. However, the highly efficient no quibbles easy-returns process more than makes up for the inconvenience.
I've had my Karrimor wellies for 2 days now and find them unbelievably comfortable and easy to take off.

My daily 4 mile dog walk takes me through very wet and muddy bridleways and so far, these wellies appear fit for purpose.

I was alarmed to read so many reviews complaining of the boots splitting at the seams and wouldn't have bought them if I had read the reviews first, in spite of the reasonable returns policy. However, after two days, my wellies appear fine and their extreme comfort more than make up for this possible outcome.

Two minor gripes. First: the colour in the picture looks almost black (my preferred colour). I assumed the boots would be a very dark green but they are light green - I'm not that bothered since they are already caked in mud.

Second: relates to the thinness of the soles, which makes every rock and stone stepped on, an uncomfortable experience. Adding additional padded insoles, has done the trick though.

Overall, I'm very happy with the wellies and glad I bought them.

Heritage Leather Sewn/half Lined Collar Red 55cm/22" Sz 6
Heritage Leather Sewn/half Lined Collar Red 55cm/22" Sz 6
Price: 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancol Leather Collars, 6 Mar 2010
My dog has two Ancol collars (one tan and the other red). The quality of the leather, stitching and sturdiness is excellent. Like a previous reviewer pointed out, the red collar appears bright red in the picture but is in fact a dark/dusky red.

Page: 1 | 2