Profile for Dimmi Khan > Reviews

Content by Dimmi Khan

Dimmi Khan (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Vendetta
Vendetta
by Dreda Say Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read!, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Vendetta (Paperback)
I think it's apt that both Lee Child and Simon Kernick have reviewed this favourably, as DSM will definitely appeal to fans of their work. From the first page to the last she doesn't let go, and really keeps you turning the pages. So be warned don't start this novel late at night, or you'll still be reading when the sun is rising! The plot is complex as you would expect from a thriller, and the mystery keeps you guessing until the end. The characters are extremely well drawn, all in shades of grey, with lots of depth. Mac is a hero you will root for, and as the day unravels so does his life. DSM never makes it obvious who the good guys are and who the villains are, which just adds to this novel, as does the setting. My favourite character though is Rio. She is a breath of fresh air in crime fiction, and a long time coming for someone as tough as her to play a prominent role like this. Am very excited to see what DSM does next, but in the meantime indulge in the thrill ride that is Vendetta.

Vendetta: a free e-sampler
Vendetta: a free e-sampler

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 28 Sept. 2014
Seriously page turning can't put down quality to this. Dreda is a brilliant crime writer and I think this might be her best yet. Really intriguing set up and Rio is one of the most original and feisty cops so hope there's a lot more of her in the novel. But be warned you will be desperate to know what happens next! Roll on November!

The Paying Guests
The Paying Guests

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Paying Guests (Kindle Edition)
Another flawless masterpiece from a brilliant author.

A Kill in the Morning
A Kill in the Morning

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Debut Unputdownable Read, 23 Jun. 2014
I’m always sceptical when a novelist’s work is compared to favourite authors of mine (in this case Ian Fleming and Robert Harris), because they rarely live up to the hype. But let me start my review by saying A Kill in the Morning delivers, and for once the comparisons are genuine.

The story will appeal to any fans of Bond or Fatherland - high octane action scenes, the slimiest villains (well you can’t get worse than the Nazis), fast-paced and page turning. Not to sound clichéd, but I couldn’t put it down. I haven’t been so addicted since reading Bourne and Jack Reacher, and the hero should be very appealing to fans of both of those. The hero has a very accessible voice, and I was immediately thinking and feeling like him. He really is what a genuine star of thriller novels should be, and I was on his side pretty much from the start.

The ‘what if…’ scenario is an interesting take on the Nazis and very plausible. I also found myself using Google and Wikipedia after I had finished to get more information on the shocking truths that are in this novel.

The main characters are all well drawn, especially the women, who aren’t mere ciphers as they can be in thriller novels. Kitty and Molly are brave and interesting themselves, and I won’t spoil the big surprise for me in terms of female characterisation, but I’m sure readers will know when they come across it.

A Kill in the Morning feels like the fifth or sixth offering from an established thriller master like Nesbo or Deighton, not a début. The writing is on point, and the author has mastered the x factor that makes an unputdownable thriller.

I really can’t recommend this enough! Buy it, you won’t regret it!

The Heart Of The Matter
The Heart Of The Matter

5.0 out of 5 stars Another work of genius, 13 Mar. 2014
I don't know how Greene maintained his undeniable gift over all his novels, but he did. I am yet to read one that was badly written or not a brilliant read. The writing on this again is top notch, as is the story and the characters, of all backgrounds, are given a depth which is astounding. Greene excels in grey characters, yet always strikes an emotional note in his work. Loved this, but Greene never lets you down with his writing!

Einaudi: I giorni - Andante
Einaudi: I giorni - Andante

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 Mar. 2014
Never been a big fan of classical music, but this piece moved me deeply and has made me one. Hope's addition to Einaudi's masterpiece works sublimely.

The Infernal Machine: An Alternative History of Terrorism
The Infernal Machine: An Alternative History of Terrorism
by Matthew Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 13 Mar. 2014
Very accessible, used it extensively for my course in the subject matter. Reads with a vibrant narrative, never dull or academic.

All That Remains
All That Remains

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifyingly Brilliant, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: All That Remains (Kindle Edition)
I re-read this recently after downloading for my Kindle, and it reminded me why I fell for Patricia Cornwell and Kay Scarpetta. The hairs on my arms were raised, and I was genuinely unsettled and terrified at places, having to turn the lights on while reading all over the house. It's sharp, fast paced, thrilling and masterly written, with one of my favourite fictional leads.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 13 Mar. 2014
Really enjoyed this, RG/JKR has a knack to get you on side with her lead characters. I felt a huge empathy for Cormoran and Robin, and actually wanted them to work together. I have no idea how she manages to do this, but these appealing leads are what make her novels work. The descriptions of London were fantastic, moving through the different strata of society, I didn't feel a single false note on the part of the author. Really looking forward to book two now!

A History of the World
A History of the World

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant on Kindle and Audible, 13 Mar. 2014
I bought this as my Audible download of the month, and then purchased it for Kindle. This has to be one of the most engaging and comprehensive history books I have ever read. It's no mean feat to make our collective world history fascinating, but Marr manages to do just that. I also found his broad sweep, so dipping into history as it happened in the Middle East, China, Europe, South America, Africa fresh. I think too many history books are very narrow in their scope, but Marr avoids this. America does not appear suddenly in 1492, and neither does Australia with Captain Cook. Marr delves into their histories long before European conquests, and this is what makes this book so special. As a history buff I thought I knew a lot already, but this made me realize how little I do know about some nations, and the Chinese history sections were particularly illuminating. He also doesn't focus on one area for a long time, but moves around the world based on time, which keeps it exciting. Great value and great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4