Profile for Dimmi Khan > Reviews

Content by Dimmi Khan

Dimmi Khan (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms Book 1)
Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Fantasy, 10 May 2015
I have been waiting a lifetime for a novel like this, and wasn't disappointed at all. Some great central characters, lots of mystery and fantasy, and a whole new 1001 Arabian Nights twist to the genre. Really enjoyed it and hope there will be more in the series. And it will make a brilliant movie too!

Day Shift (Midnight Texas Book 2)
Day Shift (Midnight Texas Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Midnight Novel, 10 May 2015
I only read Midnight Crossroad last week, and glad I waited. I was desperate to revisit Midnight after I finished that novel, and so here I am a week later having just read Day Shift. Some really interesting characters that I won't spoilt the surprise of, and of course all the usual mob are back from the first novel. Really enjoyed it and you get to see a bit more into some of the characters from the first novel. While you can read this as a standalone, why would you? Midnight Crossroad is a fantastic novel, and a great start to the series, so you might as well read both. Really enjoyed this one too, full of mystery and lots of supes, and again the quality and feel is very much like the earlier True Blood novels (but it's not a vampire novel as such). Really can't wait for the next Midnight novel, but in the meantime will be re-reading the first two.

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas Book 1)
Midnight Crossroad (Midnight Texas Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Can't Recommend This Enough, 10 May 2015
Seriously can't recommend this book enough. If you are a fan of Sookie, or mysteries, or supernatural shades, or just plain old Americanah, this is the novel for you. It has the same qualities from the earlier Sookie novels, but a great new cast of people, all fascinating and in a place called Midnight that, despite it's flaws, you will want to move to. It felt a bit like To Kill A Mockingbird meets True Blood in some parts. Great writing and a fantastic new series. I was unsure about reading it as I am such a fan of the Sookie novels, but not disappointed at all. And I was glad I waited to read this as it meant I could read Day Shift straight afterwards. Can't wait to visit Midnight again next year, but in the meantime will be re-reading this.

Vendetta
Vendetta
by Dreda Say Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read!, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Vendetta (Paperback)
I think it's apt that both Lee Child and Simon Kernick have reviewed this favourably, as DSM will definitely appeal to fans of their work. From the first page to the last she doesn't let go, and really keeps you turning the pages. So be warned don't start this novel late at night, or you'll still be reading when the sun is rising! The plot is complex as you would expect from a thriller, and the mystery keeps you guessing until the end. The characters are extremely well drawn, all in shades of grey, with lots of depth. Mac is a hero you will root for, and as the day unravels so does his life. DSM never makes it obvious who the good guys are and who the villains are, which just adds to this novel, as does the setting. My favourite character though is Rio. She is a breath of fresh air in crime fiction, and a long time coming for someone as tough as her to play a prominent role like this. Am very excited to see what DSM does next, but in the meantime indulge in the thrill ride that is Vendetta.

Vendetta: a free e-sampler
Vendetta: a free e-sampler

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 28 Sept. 2014
Seriously page turning can't put down quality to this. Dreda is a brilliant crime writer and I think this might be her best yet. Really intriguing set up and Rio is one of the most original and feisty cops so hope there's a lot more of her in the novel. But be warned you will be desperate to know what happens next! Roll on November!

The Paying Guests
The Paying Guests

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Paying Guests (Kindle Edition)
Another flawless masterpiece from a brilliant author.

A Kill in the Morning
A Kill in the Morning

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Debut Unputdownable Read, 23 Jun. 2014
I’m always sceptical when a novelist’s work is compared to favourite authors of mine (in this case Ian Fleming and Robert Harris), because they rarely live up to the hype. But let me start my review by saying A Kill in the Morning delivers, and for once the comparisons are genuine.

The story will appeal to any fans of Bond or Fatherland - high octane action scenes, the slimiest villains (well you can’t get worse than the Nazis), fast-paced and page turning. Not to sound clichéd, but I couldn’t put it down. I haven’t been so addicted since reading Bourne and Jack Reacher, and the hero should be very appealing to fans of both of those. The hero has a very accessible voice, and I was immediately thinking and feeling like him. He really is what a genuine star of thriller novels should be, and I was on his side pretty much from the start.

The ‘what if…’ scenario is an interesting take on the Nazis and very plausible. I also found myself using Google and Wikipedia after I had finished to get more information on the shocking truths that are in this novel.

The main characters are all well drawn, especially the women, who aren’t mere ciphers as they can be in thriller novels. Kitty and Molly are brave and interesting themselves, and I won’t spoil the big surprise for me in terms of female characterisation, but I’m sure readers will know when they come across it.

A Kill in the Morning feels like the fifth or sixth offering from an established thriller master like Nesbo or Deighton, not a début. The writing is on point, and the author has mastered the x factor that makes an unputdownable thriller.

I really can’t recommend this enough! Buy it, you won’t regret it!

The Heart Of The Matter
The Heart Of The Matter

5.0 out of 5 stars Another work of genius, 13 Mar. 2014
I don't know how Greene maintained his undeniable gift over all his novels, but he did. I am yet to read one that was badly written or not a brilliant read. The writing on this again is top notch, as is the story and the characters, of all backgrounds, are given a depth which is astounding. Greene excels in grey characters, yet always strikes an emotional note in his work. Loved this, but Greene never lets you down with his writing!

Einaudi: I giorni - Andante
Einaudi: I giorni - Andante

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 Mar. 2014
Never been a big fan of classical music, but this piece moved me deeply and has made me one. Hope's addition to Einaudi's masterpiece works sublimely.

The Infernal Machine: An Alternative History of Terrorism
The Infernal Machine: An Alternative History of Terrorism
by Matthew Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 13 Mar. 2014
Very accessible, used it extensively for my course in the subject matter. Reads with a vibrant narrative, never dull or academic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5