Profile for Pjhale > Reviews

The Biggest Twitch: Around the World in 4,000 Birds
The Biggest Twitch: Around the World in 4,000 Birds
by Alan Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars A promotion for Tropical Birding, 22 Mar 2013
I found this book annoying at times especially when there were inaccuracies. For instance Laguna Medina in Andalucia not far from where I live, was incorrectly spelled. At one stage the maths was incorrect for how many birds remained to be seen. From memory, something like 600 birds remained, but several pages and birds later this figure was now approx 1500 - the correct figure! Even a non birding editor should have spotted that error! However I did not do as one German birding friend did and throw the book in the bin saying "Anybody with two hands and a pair of binoculars could have done the same!" Instead I lent it to my husband, no longer an enthusiastic travelling birder, who said that it made him want to leap on a plane to return to some of his favourite birding spots. As he flatly refuses to do this normally - I travel alone to go birding without a tour company to show me the birds - the book obviously has succeeded on one level. If you are an experienced, hardcore (!) birder, this is probably not for you. Those of you who have birded their locations will notice how many birds they failed to see. Evidence of their lack of initiative was the morning when there was a powercut and so they couldn't charge their recorder for "playback" which in their eyes meant they couldn't go birdwatching!! As somebody who birdwatches without "playback" although I have been known to "pish", this just about summed up their reliability on being shown almost every one of their 4000 birds!!

The Robber of Memories: A River Journey Through Colombia
The Robber of Memories: A River Journey Through Colombia
by Michael Jacobs

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read it on my return from Colombia rather than before!, 22 Mar 2013
I had hoped to receive this book for Christmas and take it with me to Colombia when I travelled there in January this year to birdwatch. Fortunately I didn't buy it until after my return for although it is well written, it painted a very different Colombia from the one I found. Unlike some other reviewers, for me I found the links between his mother's illness and the Rio Magdalena, worked well. On a personal note, I too travelled near the Rio Magdalena at times and at one time was taken to the river bank by a friendly bus driver - "Mi tierra es su tierra". I did not travel as far south as Michael Jacobs did as I knew that area is still not safe. So enjoy this book but don't let it put you off visiting Colombia, much of which is now safe, friendly, beautiful and welcoming. Every Colombian I met asked me "How do you find Colombia?" I was travelling alone, much of the time by bus, staying in beautiful bird reserves.

The Jewel Hunter
The Jewel Hunter
by Chris Gooddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Searching for jewel like Pittas - lyrical writing superb!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Jewel Hunter (Paperback)
I cannot recommend this book highly enough to any birdwatcher who has seen or tried to see one of these beautiful birds. Chris Gooddie's writing is superb taking you with him every step of the way, sharing his joy as he patiently tracks down each of these "jewel like" birds, mostly with minimal local help. I shall never part with it but will lend it to as many birding friends as possible with the recommendation that they buy their own copy. He has even taught me some fieldcraft which I hope to employ whenever trying to find "skulkers". Anybody who has travelled to find a beautiful bird will love this book and admire Chris' exceptional skills both as a birdwatcher as well as a writer and occasionally photographer although he didn't always find it as easy to capture the bird on camera as he did with words.

Birds of Northern South America: An Identification Guide: Plates and Maps v. 2 (Helm Field Guides)
by Robin Restall

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb. Sets new standards as a field guide, 20 Nov 2012
I am about to go to Colombia and had read that this identification guide was essential. I agree! It would also be essential for Guyana and Northern Brazil. I particularly like the way "key identification features are highlighted on the plates". Most recently discovered Colombian endemics are included although any found since May 2006 eg Santa Marta Screech Owl, will have to wait until a second edition. It weighs 1.452Kg due to the excellent plates illustrating every distinctive plumage of the 2,308 species. (It was not intended as a field guide and so I shall also be taking the recently published "Field Guide to Birds of Colombia", slim enough to carry all day in my rucksack!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 3:27 PM GMT

Fault Line
Fault Line
by Robert Goddard

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fault Line (Paperback)
My husband, an avid Robert Goddard fan, loved this book which he had for his birthday and said was his best present. I look forward to reading it myself.

The Big Year
The Big Year
by Mark Obmascik

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read for avid birdwatchers like myself, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Big Year (Paperback)
An enjoyable read although I think you probably have to be a birdwatcher to fully appreciate it. The non birdwatcher, however, might begin to understand the passion which leads birdwatchers to travel such huge distances for a bird. Perhaps it should be prescribed reading for all girlfriends contemplating a future lifetime with a twitcher....At least they would be forewarned! For those of us who remain birdwatchers with just the occasional twitch, we can appreciate how much money we have saved!!!

Wahl Multi Cut Mains Dog Clipper Set & Instructional DVD Blue / Yellow
Wahl Multi Cut Mains Dog Clipper Set & Instructional DVD Blue / Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clipper set., 15 Sep 2012
I have used this clipper set twice on my Golden Retriever with great success. It emits a gentle hum and my dog was totally relaxed. I had anticipated needing someone to hold him whilst I did it, but not so. The second time I used it, he was lying down and didn't even get up, so it was a bit of a one-sided trim but an indication of how little it disturbed him. It cuts effectively as long as you stop every now and again to clear the hair from the teeth. I bought it purely to reduce the amount of fur as it has been very hot this year in Spain. My vet now tells me that the fur insulates him from the heat! However he appears much happier and more comfortable with his shorter coat. I recommend it thoroughly and was glad I did not pay out for a more expensive one. We used the instrucion book rather than the DVD which we did not manage to view - our fault probably as we are technophobes!

Ring Cyba-Lite Oculus Led Headlight - Black
Ring Cyba-Lite Oculus Led Headlight - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with this excellent head torch, 15 Sep 2012
I shall be taking this headtorch with me to Colombia birdwatching. So far I have only used it a few times around my 6 acre property in S. Spain but it is comfortable to wear - none of that propensity to tip forward with the weight of the light which other headtorches have. In this case the weight of the lamp is balanced by the battery at the back. The beam is a strong one shining up to 40 metres or so ahead. It is useful having the red light on the back for people following although I have not used it with other people as yet, but anticipate doing so during my travels. I am very happy with this purchase so far.

Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge
Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge
by John Gimlette

3.0 out of 5 stars Wild humanity rather than wild beauty or nature, 15 Sep 2012
John Gimlette experiences Guyana, Surinam and Guyane from a historian's perspective rather than that of a naturalist. Had I not already visited Guyana (18 years ago and loved it), I doubt I would now be planning a visit to this beautiful country. (I am going again in 2014). The book dwells on the brutality experienced by so many in the Guianas. I learnt much that I did not know about the past, most of it very sad and an indictment of man's inhumanity to man. However very rarely did the wonderful natural beauty shine through. Guyana - I do not know the other two countries - has a very rich wildlife and we experienced the tranquility of this "land of many waters" and the mainly Amerindian people we met living on the Essequibo and Demerara rivers. If you are planning a visit to these countries, buy the book afterwards, not before and then only if you wish to know the brutal history which lies behind this "wild coast". Having said that, it is well written. The author however, is not a "beholder" in whose eye beauty lingers. He seems largely unaware of it sadly and for this reason I was disappointed.

Mens THERMAL LONG JOHN Underwear ski XL Charcoal
Mens THERMAL LONG JOHN Underwear ski XL Charcoal
Offered by Socks Uwear®

4.0 out of 5 stars My husband is very happy with his long johns!, 12 Mar 2012
These longjohns were relatively inexpensive and have proved invaluable for the slightly colder weather we have had this winter. My husband is very happy with them.

Page: 1 | 2