Profile for Bob M > Reviews

Content by Bob M

Bob M

The Robotics Primer (Intelligent Robotics and Autonomous Agents series)
The Robotics Primer (Intelligent Robotics and Autonomous Agents series)
Price: 21.76

3.0 out of 5 stars The Robotics Primer - Kindle Edition, 8 Dec 2013
Considering the relatively high price of the Kindle version of this book, it has been very carelessly formatted. There are sections that should have bullet points, which are missing, resulting in a jumble of text. Ironically, these are in places meant to clarify the text. Also, many of the images in the book are of very poor quality. I would have given this book one star but I'm sure the paperback version doesn't have these defects; hence the three stars. This book also has a number of typos and the odd error; for example, in Chapter 4 on describing types of actuator, the description of the piezoelectric material should be electrical to mechanical conversion rather than mechanical to electrical.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't like this book - I just want to make clear that the Kindle version should be thoroughly checked and corrected.

This is probably one of the best books to read if you want to learn about robotics; it contains a wide range of useful and interesting information. In fact, I like the book so much that I intend to return the Kindle book and purchase the paperback version instead.

Backgammon NJ for Android
Backgammon NJ for Android
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backgammon Program, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Backgammon NJ for Android (App)
I bought this after having tried a free program which was useless. I thought it was expensive for a Kindle Fire game but it is definitely worth the money and I'm glad I bought it. The game is easy to use and has an excellent layout which you can customise if you wish. You can change the checker colours for yourself and the computer and you can decide whether you wish to play clockwise or anti-clockwise. This is important when you are learning the game as you need to be comfortable playing in either direction. The program is ideal if you are just starting to learn backgammon as it highlights all of your legal moves.

Guide to the Nights sky: A Guided Tour of the Stars and Constellations (Philip's Astronomy)
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version Unsatisfactory, 31 Dec 2012
I'm sure this is basically a very good book, but the Kindle version is unsatisfactory. The problem is that the text and illustrations are so small that you need a magnifying glass to see them. I found (by experiment) that you can tap on the text to make it larger, so this overcomes the miniature text problem, although I can't see why the normal method for Kindle text (with adjustable font size) was not used. However, the diagrams cannot be enlarged, which is a much more serious problem. Again I cannot understand why the normal Kindle method was not used on the diagrams, so that each one could be enlarged to fit the screen. This book only works on the Kindle Fire (or iPad) and cannot be used with the PC application where, with the larger screen, it may actually have been of some use. It is possible that the book may work better with a larger screen iPad but I don't have one of these. This is a very poor implementation of an illustrated book - I know it can be done properly as I have quite a collection of watercolour painting ebooks which are fine.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 2:17 PM BST

The Dead Know Not (Parish & Richards 7)
The Dead Know Not (Parish & Richards 7)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Series, 30 Oct 2012
I've read the whole series and it just gets better and better with each book. I love the new characters Xena and Stick, although I've noticed a few negative comments about these - I suppose this is a matter of personal taste or sense of humour. Also, I read the latest version of the book and I understand there were some modifications after the initial release. What I particularly liked about the book was the way the three main threads of the story were woven together whilst maintaining the pace. Keep them coming Tim!