Profile for Ted Nalbantian > Reviews

Content by Ted Nalbantian

Ted Nalbantian (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
MaxiNutrition Cyclone Strength and Power Protein Shake Powder 1.26 kg - Chocolate Mint

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable all-arounder, 28 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a pretty good mix, I've found no major reason to fault it. Decent flavour and effective ingredients.

The powder dissolves fairly easily in water, so I’ve had no problems with unmixed sludge getting stuck to the bottom of my shaker. I also often use a blender. It is worth having at least a shaker though, because it won't mix properly if you just stir it with a spoon. A small serving cup is included in the tub.

In terms of taste, I like the mint chocolate. It's not the $5 milkshake from Pulp Fiction but at least it doesn't taste purely of artificial sweetener. I haven't tried any of the other Cyclone flavours, however. I do much prefer it to the flavour of Maxi's 'Promax Lean' in plain chocolate, which I've also reviewed. I'm not picky though, so if you get put off protein shakes by their taste it might be worth reading some of the other reviews.

It's hard to give a general statement on the ingredients since everyone has a different body and goals, but the creatine has proven benefits for some people, there's plenty of whey protein, and at 263 calories per serving it's not going to make you fat if you're getting lots of exercise.

Humble Beauty Hand Wash 285 ml, Sweet Pea and Verbena
Humble Beauty Hand Wash 285 ml, Sweet Pea and Verbena

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very pleasant hand wash. At the risk of sounding a bit sad, I look forward to washing my hands with this and have been using the sink in the bathroom instead of the kitchen because it has the fancy prettily packaged hand wash instead of the boring stuff I got for £1.50 from the supermarket. The scent lingers nicely your hands too. Although the product blurb says it's a 'delicate feminine fragrance' it doesn't smell overly sweet or flowery to me. Maybe that's because it's on a 'woody base'?

The obvious downside is that at £10 it's really expensive stuff, so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to afford to permanently outfit both of our sinks with Humble hand washes any time soon. But I'll still be sorely tempted to buy another once our current bottle is empty.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Chocolate
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Chocolate

4.0 out of 5 stars A lean protein shake?, 27 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall I think this is a pretty good protein shake. What’s most noticeable is the caffeine hit and the fact that it has fewer calories, about 100 less per serving than Maxi’s Cyclone mix.

The powder mixes well in a shaker. I’ve had no issues with lumps or sludge getting stuck to the bottom. I sometimes use a blender, which works even better. Using just a spoon to stir it in a glass though makes it a bit trickier to get it to mix properly, so it’s worth buying a shaker for a fiver or so. There’s a measuring scoop included inside every container, so it’s easy to stick to the suggested serving size.

The flavour tastes fine to me, although I’m not remotely picky. Many of the other customer reviews seem to be saying that the previous formula tasted better and that this one is disgusting by comparison. I never tried the previous formula so I can’t say, although I have tried the Chocolate Mint flavour of Cyclone, which tastes nicer than the Chocolate flavour in Lean. I suppose you could always try adding milk instead of water or blending some fruit to improve the flavour if that works with your diet. I’m guessing that it’s just a matter of getting used to it though, and at the end of the day you’re not drinking this stuff for the taste. It tastes perfectly nice to me, as long as I don’t add too much water. Sometimes I throw in a banana.

In terms of the ingredients, this was my first time trying a formula designed for “lean muscle support.” The level of protein is the same as with Cyclone, but there’s no creatine or zinc. They seem to be targeting those who are worried about their fat % but still want to drink something to support their muscles, although I wonder whether you’d really want to be having shakes at all if your objective was to lose fat.

What I definitely notice most is the caffeine, since there’s about as much in one serving as there is in a Red Bull. Green tea extract probably also contributes to the energised feeling you get after drinking this. It actually makes me want to have Promax Lean before working out rather than after, to give a bit of a boost in intensity.

If you want caffeine and are trying to avoid putting on too much weight with your muscle, I think it’s worth giving this a try. Personally though, I think on balance I’d rather just have a small amount of high protein food after a workout if weight loss were my primary objective and a coffee before if I wanted the caffeine, so I’m not sure I’ll be buying more after this tub runs out. Instead I think I’ll just stick to Cyclone.

ERiiS for Sun - Sun Protection SPF30 with INFRA RED, TRIPLE PROTECTION(30 SPF)
ERiiS for Sun - Sun Protection SPF30 with INFRA RED, TRIPLE PROTECTION(30 SPF)
Offered by Healthcare Direct UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer is coming, 27 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems to be effective sun cream. I spent about a month this past summer fishing every day off the New York coast from a tiny boat, so not only was there strong sunshine but I was getting lots more rays reflected back at me by the water. I'm blonde haired so I do burn bright lobster if I don't take precautions, and this sunscreen did its duty. The bits of my skin I missed were noticeably redder. However, I didn't observe any significant difference between this brand and others you can buy in a supermarket when I put one brand on each arm. But I suppose the effects of the "triple protection" Eriis advertises aren't supposed to be visible to the naked eye, and I don't know the science behind it.

The sunscreen is a nice consistency, rubs in easily, and what little smell I could detect was pleasant enough. Unfortunately I sweat a lot, but this stuff didn't seem to immediately lose too much of its protective power after the minor workout of loading or unloading the boat in August heat. You do, however, have to remember to reapply regularly, or pay the consequences as I did.

I took a star off because it's quite expensive for a small bottle, although it did last longer than I expected it to. Perhaps it's because each pump doesn't dispense that much product. Overall though, I think this is a quality item.

Brabantia Flatback+ Silent Pedal Bin, 30 L - White
Brabantia Flatback+ Silent Pedal Bin, 30 L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy trash storage, 31 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our previous bin was a cheap cream-coloured plastic affair with a flap prone to stains from hastily thrown away tea bags. We wanted a new bin but it hadn’t occurred to us to shell out for something premium like this Brabantia one. When I got the chance to order it through the Vine programme I didn’t hesitate, and I can now say that, after using it for a while, I think it’s worth the asking price.

I really love this bin. It’s sleek and elegant, fits in perfectly with the rest of our kitchen, and doesn’t seem to pick up smudges and grime (despite it being white). It’s discrete but still has decent capacity. The pedal mechanism works smoothly and lifts the lid up with plenty of clearance. It’s also nice how the lid doesn’t slam when you release your foot but instead settles down gently. On the inside it’s black plastic, with an interior container with green handles into which you put your bin bags. You can prop this up slightly so as to make it rest higher, which keeps the lid open when needed (say if you’re doing a big cleanup or peeling potatoes over it). See the picture I uploaded with this review.

In terms of how this compares to other premium bins, like I mentioned earlier, I don’t have much experience. The only other type of Brabantia bin I’d seen before getting this one is the fairly common shiny stainless steel design with the black button lid, but I wasn’t that keen on it. This is much better in my opinion. It’s easier to open thanks to the pedal (if you’re holding a plate or whatnot), and it’s also easier to empty because you don’t have to take the lid completely off.

While the bin itself is great, an important thing to consider if you’re going to buy it is bin liners. You get 3 Brabantia brand bin liners included in the box, but after that you’re on your own. If you want more they cost around £5-£6 for 40, so they’re quite expensive, but you do get a very precise and tidy fit. I ended up ordering some because it was a hassle getting our Tesco brand bin bags to have a secure fit around the edge of the bin without the plastic sticking out of the sides.

For a price comparison, 60 bin bags from the grocery store can cost about £1 for 60, so if you use 1 per week that’s around £1/year. Brabantia bin bags work out to about £0.14/bag and just over £7.50/year, so in my opinion not a difference to worry about, although obviously if you’re a larger household which produces more waste you’ll go through more of them, making the price difference more noticeable. They are sturdy bags though, and I’ve yet to have one rip on me.

Overall, I think this is a product you wouldn’t regret purchasing, as it scores highly on both form and function. You also get a 10 year warranty by registering the bin on the Brabantia website, which is a nice bonus. I’ve come around to thinking that a bin is kind of like a piece of furniture, when it looks good it can make the whole room feel a bit nicer, so it can be worth spending a little extra.
Comment Comment | Permalink

RTA 30-Bottle Ready-to-Assemble Wine Rack - Natural Pine / Galvanised Steel
RTA 30-Bottle Ready-to-Assemble Wine Rack - Natural Pine / Galvanised Steel
Offered by Cheerful Bargains Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and efficient, 27 July 2015
I'm no DIY enthusiast but I had no trouble assembling this wine rack. I think I spent about 45 minutes putting it together. The instructions are helpful enough and the only tools I needed were a hammer to wedge the wooden supports onto each intersection of metal bars (at the front) and a screwdriver to attach the metal supports at the back. You might need to use a bit of strength to get the screws attached (unless you have an electric screwdriver/drill) but it's not complicated. Once assembled it feels very stable, no matter how many bottles you have in it.

So far, all the wine and prosecco bottles we've stored fit well. I'm also very happy with the rack's appearance, although bear in mind that the wood and metal looks very new (this isn't an antique or designed to look 'vintage').

Another thing to consider is that it's possible to buy a second rack at a later date and join them together by buying a further attachment. This appeals to me, but bear in mind that the instructions warn you to attach the rack to the wall if you go any taller than 5 bottles, which in my case means I'm unlikely to do so.

Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 - Black, Size - M-XXL

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than a fitness tracker, 27 July 2015
I initially had a few concerns about buying this. Firstly I was worried that the sensor attachment would be uncomfortable, would slip down my torso and would create a strange bulge on my chest. But after running with it on a few times, I barely notice it. It isn't visible under my running shirt, either at the front or at the back (it won't look like you're wearing a bra if you're a guy). You can attach the strap very tightly without it being uncomfortable, so even though I get sweatier than most when I exercise it doesn't slide anywhere.

Functionality wise, it seems to do what it's advertised to do very effectively. I mainly use the Nike+ running app on an iPhone 5s, which discovered the sensor very quickly and without any hiccups. In the Nike app I now see a graph of my heart rate superimposed onto a graph of my pace. No dropped connection or weird readings. Novelty factor, aside, I do think this gadget is helping motivate me to run, and I've enjoyed noticing my average heart rate go down and run speed go up.

The only downside I can raise is that many fitness trackers/watches can now read heart rates, so if you don't mind their cost, it's probably a simpler and more effective (but more expensive) solution than strapping this onto your chest every time you run. I couldn't settle on an exercise watch I liked though, so I bought the Polar H7 slightly discounted in the Prime sale and am very happy.

Maruman Mnemosyne To Do List Notepad
Maruman Mnemosyne To Do List Notepad
Offered by The Nth Degree

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying, 17 July 2015
This is a fairly expensive little notepad relative to the number of pages you get to write on. Particularly given that each page only has the 'to-do' list lines and tick boxes on one side of the page (the other side is blank). So if you're not convinced by the idea of 'premium stationery,' there are undoubtedly alternatives that will get you a better bang/buck without the trendy Japanese branding.

My main reason for liking Maruman Mnemosyne is the quality of the paper. I love writing with a fountain pen, and the enjoyment I get from that is affected by the surface I'm writing on. I've used a range of different brands, like Leuchtturm1917, Rhodia and Moleskine, and this is definitely my favourite. It feels like the nib is sliding so smoothly that my handwriting automatically improves, and it makes it a pleasure writing up to do lists. Although smooth, it isn't too glossy. I haven't had any issues with bleed-through.

I wish the Mnemosyne stuff were a bit cheaper on Amazon (the A5 notebook, for example, costs nearly £20, plus over £6 for delivery, so I still mainly use Rhodia and Leuchtturm), but I assume the issue is with these being imports. In my opinion, however, the current price (just over £5) for this particular notepad is still worth it. You get an attractively presented small notepad with excellent paper which should last you a decent amount of time.

Quality Prem-I-Air 18" (45 cm) High Velocity Air Circulator Fan with Chrome finish
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Effective and not too Loud, 17 July 2015
Our flat gets incredibly hot and stuffy in summer (hotter than it is outside). So I was a bit concerned that because this fan doesn't swing from side to side and is designed to sit on the floor it wouldn't cool the room well enough. My worries were misplaced. Even though it sits on the floor pointing in one direction I can feel the difference anywhere in the room. It can pivot back quite far, so you could aim it straight at the ceiling if you wanted to. At night I point it upwards and the whole room feels much more breezy and pleasant, even though the fan isn't pointing directly at me.

There are three speed settings, but so far I've only been using the lowest setting. This produces a nice strong flow of air. While it makes some obvious noise, to me it's an even and unobtrusive sound. It quickly fades into the background and I've had no trouble sleeping with it on or sitting at my computer with the fan on next to me. The two faster settings are obviously noisier, but I doubt you'll ever really need to activate them unless it were a very hot day and you had a large room. Since I haven't had to use them I can't really say whether the noise they produce is overbearing.

Last point is that as far as fans go this one looks rather stylish to me. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi looking tower fans, and wanted something a bit nicer than a generic white plastic pedestal fan. This one suits the bill and works very well.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Waterman 1904559 Carene Fountain Pen Blue Obsession, Medium Point
Waterman 1904559 Carene Fountain Pen Blue Obsession, Medium Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this pen, 24 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve been using this fountain pen very heavily for many months now, and have nearly depleted an entire 50ml pot of Waterman blue ink. I feel like I’m now more than ready to write a review, and I have no difficulty in recommending it.

The first thing to say is that the pen is a good size and shape for my hand and is easy to grip comfortably. It’s a bit bulky when the cap is attached onto the back, so when writing I prefer to leave the cap on my desk. The body has a glossy texture which does not attract fingerprints and which has lost none of its sheen despite constant use. I have no complaints about appearance. To me it looks fancy without being extravagant, and it’s an attractive shade of blue.

This pen also writes very smoothly, and I find my handwriting is improved when using it over a biro. It’s quite accommodating to the type of paper you are using, although you will definitely notice the improvement in smoothness when writing on more expensive stationery (I like some of the Leuchtturm 1917 and Rhodia stuff). As for ink, I’ve only tried Waterman’s ‘Serenity Blue,’ which has served me perfectly with this pen.

The only negative is that if you write a lot all day long you will use up most of the cartridge and need to remember to refill it with fresh ink in the evening, but I imagine this is an issue with any fountain pen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6