Profile for Max > Reviews

Canoeing the Congo: The First Source-to-Sea Descent of the Congo River
Canoeing the Congo: The First Source-to-Sea Descent of the Congo River
by Phil Harwood

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, 13 Nov 2013
What an adventure! I love travel and adventure writing and if you are the same this book is a must for you. This is a compelling story which above all, gives you a great understanding of the enormity of the undertaking. Having travelled around this area of the world myself I am in awe of the mental strength it must have taken from the author. I look forward to his hopeful next adventure and the subsequent read. If you read and enjoy then there is a DVD of the trip too which you should watch (but not before you have read the book - only as a companion to the book).

Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
by Roméo Dallaire

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and compelling read, 13 Nov 2013
I have read a lot of books on this topic having developed an interest after some extensive travel across this area of the world and this is by far and away the best of the lot. It not only captures the truly horrific nature of what happened in Rwanda but does so in an incredibly human way. In my opinion Romeo Dallaire received extremely unfair criticism of his performance in Rwanda in a way used only to cover up the shameful actions (or inactions) of the beurocrats in his chain of command. This book is not only a compelling read (I could not put it down) and very well-written but it will give the reader a different (and arguably most useful) perspective for the understanding of what happened in Rwanda.

Our Harsh Logic
Our Harsh Logic
by the

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and compelling, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Our Harsh Logic (Hardcover)
This is hands-down the best book I have read for giving you an understanding of what is really happening on the ground in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. This is both a compelling read and truly moving; a must read for anybody with even a slight interest in this topic or for somebody looking to start their education into this area.

The Gaza Kitchen: A Palestinian Culinary Journey
The Gaza Kitchen: A Palestinian Culinary Journey
by Laila M. El-Haddad

5.0 out of 5 stars The best middle-eastern cook book I have, 13 Nov 2013
Having spent a lot of time in the Middle-East I have developed a keen taste for the cuisine. I was recommended this book and I do not regret buying it. It has all the basic dishes you could wish for and many more. It is also very clear and easy to follow.

High Rise
High Rise

5.0 out of 5 stars This is really good, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: High Rise (Audio CD)
I bought this because I was interested to see what Stone Temple Pilots would sound like with Chester. Inevitably people want comparrisons so here we go: Out Of Time is very much classic Stone Temple Pilots, allbeit with a different voice obviously, Black Heart and Same On The Inside are a bit different from the Stone Temple Pilots we are familiar with but they are still good songs, Cry Cry and Tomorrow are also something you would have heard on a classic Stone Temple Pilots record and Tomorrow especially is a really good song. The shame is too many people will write this new incarnation off because it isn't Weiland but the fact remains that either way this is really good music and if it were under a different name from Stone Temple Pilots I bet it would do really well. I hope it does really well anyway because the world could do with more bands like this and in the absence of the original line up being capable of producing more work we should not have to suffer the loss of a good band altogether.

Hot Cakes
Hot Cakes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph!, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hot Cakes (Audio CD)
This album is amazing - no beating about the bush. All the great licks, riffs, vocals and melodies of both previous albums without the credibility-busting likes of 'I believe in a thing called love' (which I like by the way) which cause most reviews to pidgeon-hole them as a parody or novelty act rather than focusing on the fact that they are amongst the best and most talented current classic/hard rock bands out there at the moment. Definite increase in similarities to some of their b-side tracks from previous singles and to Aerosmith and Queen if you are looking for comparable music. If you like Permission To Land then you will like this album and if you liked One Way Ticket to Hell and Back then you will love this album. Either way this is a truly triumphant return for The Darkness and I hope there is a lot more to come.

A Broken State Of Bliss
A Broken State Of Bliss

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable feast for your ears, 29 April 2012
This review is from: A Broken State Of Bliss (Audio CD)
This album is flat-out brilliant. Great melodies, brutal riffs and cracking vocals. I listen to a wide range of classic rock and metal and if you are like me or you like anywhere in between you will not be disappointed. Buy this album: you will not regret it.